The inevitable next gen thread...

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The inevitable next gen thread...

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:29 pm

...until next gen arrives.

So, the internet tells me MS has some serious back tracking to do or it's got a golden turd ball on it's hands. What's everyone's take.

Disclaimer: I've not seen video one, of any game. I think I played 10-20 games between the PS3 and 360 (that weren't arcade ports) and do not feel I got my money's worth out of the systems (other than the BluRay player, which I used like a mofo).

I kind of had a boner for Pikmin 3 but then I got busy w/ real life and haven't looked back. Still might grab a Wii U just to play that one.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: The inevitable next gen thread...

Postby Pyongyang » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:34 pm

I love my XBOX 360, but Tuesday morning, after reading the news stories from E3, I pre-ordered a PS4 and a copy of Watch Dogs.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Someone enlighten me... in video form, of why I should be excited.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Someone enlighten me... in video form, of why I should be excited.

You shouldn't. I've retired from the "new." 360 will be the newest system I intend to ever buy. Got too much shit as it is. ;)
Stronger then your average deadite

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:29 am

I preordered a DAY ONE XBONER only because MS is shitting upon Asia by not releasing until Q3-4 2014. I can understand that they aren't ready with their entertainment box model as the Asia TV market is fragmented and hard to break into. Look at Hulu, still floundering about in Japan. But, 360 is very strong in Singapore, HK and Taiwan but MS is leaving those markets to Sony to pick up if PS4 will launch in Asia this year (signs are pointing to no).

XBONER will be using IP blocking for game activation (all games need to be activated and installed like on Steam), any kind of digital media and apps so VPN is a must and since I'm getting about 2 meg down with VPN on, thought it would be OK. Only preordered the exclusive games as I can get everything else on my PC in better quality. In fact, I'd rather get a GTX 690 than either console.

PS4 will be region free and use PSN accounts to block regional access to content just like today.

At this point, neither console has GP type of games.

Nintendo played it very predictably but their strategy of driving traditional IPs with unsurprising design will not get them the turnaround they need, IMO. HD versions of 3DS games just aren't going to excite the mainstream.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 am

I have a whopping zero interest in the new consoles, the only info I cared about at e3 was stuff on Dragons Crown.

Its funny to see how much consoles have stagnated. Big jumps in graphics to make each new console actually stand out simply doesn't exist anymore, and companies more than ever are embracing (and even publicly showing during the keynotes) the new craze of independent smaller budget games, even ones featuring completely 2d graphics.

So whats the point of new consoles at all then? Well, the companies of course have to freshen up their product image by getting the 'next generation' out there, but I really couldn't understand how anyone above the age of 15 could get super hyped and excited over the next xbox or playstation considering what they've already had for the last 7 years.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:32 am

I don't know if I'm just growing less interested in gaming, or less interested in consoles specifically, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to sit this one out. Last gen I got a Wii on launch and enjoyed a few of the titles, but before moving out of the States it had pretty much just become the dedicated Netflix box; I'd occasionally use it to run a Gamecube game or bust out Bomberman '93 on the VC when we had guests over. I bought a 360 when Mushi Futari was announced, but probably 80% of the games I own for it are shmups, with the remainder being split between titles also available on the PC, and original XBox games that I missed out on the first time around (Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, etc.).

There's just nothing that calls to me in the current/upcoming gen of consoles, though. Wii U is where Nintendo has finally jumped the shark, IMO, with its gimmicky peripherals and play styles, and it just looks like a lot of work. PS4 and Xbox One or whatever are probably going to be the same as the last gen, i.e. 95% overlap of titles with only handful of desirable exclusives. But it's all the talk of always-on Internet requirements, various types of DRM, and restrictions on used game sales that have really turned me off. Region locking has always been bullshit, but now the console manufacturers are just taking these arbitrary restrictions on digital media too far, and I want no part of it; I'm not going to support with my money those kinds of decisions.

Lofty moral posturing aside, I'm just not too interested in the direction modern mainstream gaming is going, what with the Hollywood-quality budgets and the narrative complexity that makes Michael Bay look like Leo Tolstoy. I'm a member of the PC gaming master race anyway, which is where most of the innovative stuff is being done nowadays. The indie gaming scene is full of masturbation, but if you can duck under all the flying spunk you get the impression that there are people there that still care about making gaming fun, either by telling an interesting story or having satisfying mechanics (or both). I've made enough purchases on GOG.com over the past year to last me for a while, and even though Steam has many of the same problems with openness as the new consoles, it's hard for be to bitch about it too much considering that Valve at least try not to be dicks, and their frequent sales where I can get titles I want for under $5 that runs on hardware I already own is a convincing argument.

And of course, there's the problem I'm sure everyone on this board already faces: a huge backlog of titles for past generations of consoles. I've got more than enough to keep me occupied for a long time, and unlike the uncertain future, there's a lot of gold in the past that I haven't experienced yet.
You also distaste me with passion!

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:53 am

I bought a Wii on the day it launched, as it was effectively a Christmas present from my parents. I played it a bit over the winter holiday and have maybe used it once since (only ever had two games for it) and never connected it to the Internet. I have no interest in anything new since then, as I basically don't have time for all the nonsense that comes with the games now. I made a very large harness for my Enduro Racer PCB set last weekend, and that seemed less complicated than some of the hoops you have to jump through to play games these days.

Today I read that Microsoft's new thing will be listening all the time so you can speak to it to turn itself on... did anybody ask for this feature?

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 am

If you live in Portugal or Poland (just 2 EU examples) you won't be able to use your Xbox One until TBA because the Live thing, whatever it is it needs to return phone home calls, won't be in place.

Oh and you can't import a console from one country or region to another either because that's locked too.

Seriously, what an absolute utter pile of shit. Fuck off Microsoft.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:51 am

Pyongyang wrote:If you live in Portugal or Poland (just 2 EU examples) you won't be able to use your Xbox One until TBA because the Live thing, whatever it is it needs to return phone home calls, won't be in place.

Oh and you can't import a console from one country or region to another either because that's locked too.

Seriously, what an absolute utter pile of shit. Fuck off Microsoft.

You can subscribe to a VPN service to get around this which is why I preordered a Day One XBONER from the States.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:03 am

At this point, neither console has GP type of games.

I really do need to make my own stamp of approval, don't I?

Nintendo played it very predictably but their strategy of driving traditional IPs with unsurprising design will not get them the turnaround they need, IMO. HD versions of 3DS games just aren't going to excite the mainstream.

They aren't, but I'm still not ruling out picking up a Wii-U next month when Pikmin 3 comes out. I really loved the first two, and I think that would get me off my ass. Then, whatever Mario & Zelda games come out since I'll have the system . I gave my original Wii to my son anyway, and I never played through Skyward Sword or SM Galaxy 1, so I've got those to try as well.

Too bad they're not numbering the XBOne pre-orders. You'd probably have the first one.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 am

I'm curious to see how well Pikmin 3 sells but there isn't a single Wii U title coming out this year that I would pay full price for on day 1.

Now that MS has gone back on region locking and DRM, a number of locals have starting preordering the XBONER on Amazon for Japan shipping.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:10 am

Shou wrote:I'm curious to see how well Pikmin 3 sells but there isn't a single Wii U title coming out this year that I would pay full price for on day 1.

Now that MS has gone back on region locking and DRM, a number of locals have starting preordering the XBONER on Amazon for Japan shipping.

I haven't been keeping up. I was kind of afraid of that. Hm.... I take it there's no Mario game on the horizon? Luigi's Mansion 2 doesn't count, btw. Guess I'll wait a bit then.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:17 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
I haven't been keeping up. I was kind of afraid of that. Hm.... I take it there's no Mario game on the horizon? Luigi's Mansion 2 doesn't count, btw. Guess I'll wait a bit then.

Mario 3D World is coming but looks like an HD version of the 3DS game minus the 3D effect. Luigi's Mansion 2 is only on 3DS.

I don't care about HD remakes of old so Wind Waker HD does nothing for me. Mario Kart 8 and the rehashed Donkey Kong isn't very exciting either.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:14 am

Shou wrote:Mario 3D World is coming but looks like an HD version of the 3DS game minus the 3D effect.

Haven't played so if they don't cock it up it might be worth trying.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is only on 3DS.

Shows you how much I've been keeping up.

I don't care about HD remakes of old so Wind Waker HD does nothing for me. Mario Kart 8 and the rehashed Donkey Kong isn't very exciting either.

Mario Kart 8 is probably the one that would bring me in. I really liked Wind Waker, but yeah... I played it a few times through (rare for me) so probably don't need to bother w/ the HD remake. Time would be better spent playing Skyward Sword Swallower.

rcantor77
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby rcantor77 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:23 pm

I don't think I will be bothering with the Next Gen consoles... I am getting too old to care.

But after seeing the video of Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, I think I could be tempted to get one of them.

But until then I'll carry on playing my MD and SFC... Retro all the way... :)

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:40 am

The Mario Kart series is only fun as a party game, but that's irrelevant because the only party game you'll ever need is Bomberman '93 (or '94 if you don't mind the weird dinosaur things).

There! Saved y'all the cost of a Wii U!
You also distaste me with passion!

rcantor77
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby rcantor77 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:16 am

You make a very good point... Bomberman 94 is one of my favourite PCE games, and yes, I like the dinosaur thing. :)

But my 3yr old daughter is now obsessed with Mario and loves playing Mario Kart... that is a great reason to get right there.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”