So what do you play or collect...?

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

rcantor77
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

So what do you play or collect...?

Postby rcantor77 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:10 pm

I may be new around here but not to gaming, and I probably know some of you from other Arcade/Gaming forums.

So I thought as way of an introduction it would be nice to see the things that people play and collect.

For me, my gaming era was the 8-bit and 16-bit (mid 80s to mid 90s) and my current setup that I still play regularly includes a Megadrive, Super Famicom, PC Engine Duo-R, Neo Geo, a Saturn and a Dreamcast. (Although I have most of the other systems still in the loft)

Some would say that I have a very unhealthy collection of games for each of the systems and they may have a point, but I love it and am just glad that the wife puts up with it. I still actively collect for all the systems above and it is great to still discover games after all these years that you have never played or even new existed.

I have also got my garage converted into an arcade and enjoy holding mini-meet when I can... my main love there is my Super Neo 29 Candy cab and my 'very nearly complete' collection of MVS carts.

So what are your guilty gaming pleasures... for playing and collecting...?

Oh and before I forget, hello to all... :D

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Re: So what do you play or collect...?

Postby Shou » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:15 pm

Almost everything?

Console and portable stuff that interests me from Famicom onwards...
Japanese retro PC stuff and some Western PC stuff from C64 onwards...
Arcade stuff is what I mainly look at these days but having most normal type of boards that I want, I focus on deluxe games...

Certified crazy :)
become history

rcantor77
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby rcantor77 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Nice... so for the few of you that live in Japan, how do you manage to store your collections.. is space an issue?

A very good friend of mine lives in Tokyo so I appreciate that space is at a premium.. he is fairly fortunate that his place is a good size but is that the case for you guys too or does your place make you more selective of what you keep...?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:47 am

My 'collection' is basically non-existent now. Every few years I try to get it to games that I will only replay. It became apparent that I didn't have the stress levels to play Cave games competitively, so those boards went. Now, I basically have a Super Gun, but only a PCB or two. I'm just a player now, and not a very avid one at that, due to time constraints.

I think the majority of people here were introduced in the 8-bit and 16-bit generations. That seems to be a theme though. As such, most of us have quite an affection for those consoles. I would love to have an RGB Famicom and Sega Master System, w/ a handful of awesome games. It would not take up so much space, but not so much space is what we are left with in Tokyo.

I've even found myself debating keeping my RGB monitor. It definitely gets very, very little love, which is a shame.

I think one of these days I'm going to at least go through some Famicom games in emulation. I doubt I'll get an RGB Famicom, so that's the next best thing . It's a system I've largely ignored since I was a kid. I also don't have the energy to try to 1CC any arcade games at the moment. They will always be my one true love though.

Certified crazy

I'd hate to see if you lived in the states.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:17 am

I'm pretty similar to Shou, except I've explored and played everything mostly with the help of emu's.

Taiwanese and Korean DOS games (of which there are hundreds) are particular areas where finding originals is in many cases a hopeless task.

When it comes to a physical 'collection' I just buy stuff thats either not dumped and therefore unplayable in any emu, or stuff I really like and want physical copies of.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:25 pm

NES was my first, from there it was the mighty DOS 486PC next console was the Playstation.

These days, I am pretty much done collecting. There is very little I still want that I don't have, and I really would like to downsize. But seeing as I'm still single it's on the "To-do" pile. If I ever get hitched, 70% of it all is going bye-bye.

I've never really considered myself a "collector" I buy what I want to play first and foremost. However, for things that would make me a collector, they are:

X68000 doujins. I buy any original copy I don't have. Mainly cause I love the super retro hand-created releases. Most of them had hand-drawn then photocopied arts. No one does this anymore. Plus I've managed to save quite a few otherwise undumped games this way. Including a few that had no record of existing anywhere. It's a thrilling hobby as you never know just what the heck will appear out of the blue next.

Guilty pleasures:
LaserActive: I want the full released Japanese set. I'm quite close to it too. :)
SuperCassetteVision: While the games are mostly clones of better famicom games, there's something strangely raw about them. And the cooler stuff like StarSpeeder seems like it came out of nowhere, plus RGB fuck yeah!
Casio Loopy: Not sure why, but I have to own this kind of shit...
And Adult games, LOTS of adult games :)
Stronger then your average deadite

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:54 am

I'm in Macaw's boat, I guess, having played via emulation most of the older games that I didn't play as a kid. In 2011 I started buying up old hardware and games that I didn't own (and dug out my older consoles and games from my parents' place) because I decided that I'd ultimately rather play and own games I really like on real hardware. So no big older game collection here, just some Japanese carts and discs on a couple shelves.

I play almost everything, though. Modern, old, Japanese, Western, console, PC, arcade, handheld (when I have to). Wouldn't have it any other way.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:41 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I'd hate to see if you lived in the states.

I would never ever do cabs though...I tried them once back in the 90's, too much hassle for all of the different types of boards I have. I would switch out my monitors for 36" ones though and have enough space to properly show off my stuff in a library type room. :)
become history

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 am

I don't do cabs now either. I did have an Astro city which I parted with earlier this year. I don't miss the hassle of rotating the monitor, messing with looms, wires, plugs, coin mechs and all the faults that go with ownership.

I know it's part of the hobby and it's true, playing on a cab is near-on unbeatable. I do miss the cab from time to time, but I find it easier to just power on the Sigma Raijin, kick my Ikegami over on it's side and mash up some spaceships! No fuss, no mess, no hassle! ;)

In terms of system ownership, I started with the C64 then progressed to the SNES, N64 and PS1. I dropped out of gaming altogether after that only to get back in to it about 4 years ago. Now I primarily collect shooting games, although I have a soft spot for JRPG's, bizarre one-off titles and a bit of Bomberman and Puyo Puyo.

I also collect superplay titles on DVD, VHS, Laserdisc etc. Again, the focus is on shooting games. Pride of place in my collection is my signed Clover-TAC Progear VHS tape! :)

As to what I would like to collect? X68000, PC-9801, FM Towns and MSX stuff would be fantastic (love Mr. Deadites doujin and Midi videos on YT! :D) but shipping weight means items like that are just far too cost prohibitive and thus well out of my reach. I've also got this odd idea that buying a PC-FX just for Zeroigar would be a great idea... :whack:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:01 am

In a nutshell, I collect Japanese games starting from the 8/16-Bit era. Mainly console and arcade.

I prefer playing on original hardware over emulation and I only buy games that I want to play. Not a collector just for collecting's sake.

Consoles that get particular attention are SFC, MD, PCE, SS, PS1&2, but I also have a bunch of other systems with some games. Recently I started getting into Famicom and Master System.

I have an Egret II and about 30 PCBs. Basically all the arcade games is stuff that never got ported (or ported adequately). If there is a good console port, I'm usually content with that.

Don't really enjoy many Western designed games. Now I feel they're just playable movies rather than actual games (stuff like Uncharted, Tomb Raider) or just not my genre (can't stand FPSs).

Gaijin Punch wrote:I would love to have an RGB Famicom and Sega Master System, w/ a handful of awesome games.

AV Famicom RGB Mods are hopefully gonna become a lot cheaper soon, once this project is completed: http://universalppu.com

Already in the prototype phase though, so things look good. :) Famicom in RGB is a real joy, and a lot of the good games are still easy and relatively cheap to find in Japan, as there seems to be less interest in collecting for the system in the West.

Conveniently the Japanese Master System (not the Mark-III) does RGB ootb. ;)

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:29 am

Coincidentally I just modded my Sega Mark III as the stock RGB output is ridiculously dim. Adding an amp makes it much better. :)

There is a guide on Mmmonkey's website and also NFG Games detailing the mod, this is the same as the N64 RGB amp and the same mod I attempted. I fucked it up though by scorching a pad on the IC and cutting the wrong green trace.

Thankfully a kind gent who lives near me offered to fix it and actually came up with a better solution. Instead of taking the 5v and GND off the VDU, you take the two lines from the power switch IC that converts 9v to 5v for the PCB. It also takes the strain off of the VDU and is also a much neater solution.

Should have my Mark III back today or tomorrow to play some games on it! :D

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:47 am

Megadrive, Saturn, NES, PC-Engine are amongst my favorite consoles and I still reguraly play them, from all consoles.. But nowadays my focus is playing or buying Arcade pcb's, Korean and taiwanese pc games, original chinese bootleg console games and japanese computer games.

andsuchisdeath
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby andsuchisdeath » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:06 pm

I collect console games. FC, SFC, MD, PCE, Neo Geo, Saturn, PSX. A little bit of PS2, DC and XBOX 360, but only for arcade ports of shooting or fighting games.
Last edited by andsuchisdeath on Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:31 am

I collect games - typically in cartridge form - which I intend to play. I grew-up on the 8 and 16-bit generation consoles, and those tend to be my favorites. I like to dig-up games I've never heard of and give them a shot. I've found a lot of great games, and I've recently started buying arcade boards too. More expensive, yes, but very satisfying in a very different way than home consoles.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”