Volgarr the Viking

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Volgarr the Viking

Postby loempiavreter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN9mKr_O2og

Haha I saw Macaw on first place in the ranking ;)
Anyone else playing it?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Volgarr the Viking

Postby Macaw » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Yep this game is the realist shit to come out in a long time. Its the core elements of Rastan with the technical complexity of Actraiser 2 (shield blocking, double jumps etc) and a unique javelin throwing mechanic that suits the action perfectly.

And the stage design has massive attention to detail and is fully designed around the core player mechanics as tightly as you can imagine, and difficulty is sky high so skillful platform and use of all your actions is immensely satisfying.

Its also designed around speedrunning. There are chests hidden around levels, but for the highest score you just ignore everything thats not on the fastest path, and the end time bonus heavily outweighs any treasure you bother to pick up.

I really cant believe western devs had the balls to do something like this. No unlockable customization bullshit or anything like that at all, just pure linear stages built upon crazy platforming action that are more tightly designed than even in some of the best Japanese arcade games in the genre. There isn't even any saving, when you try quit the game a message literally tells you 'do you really want to quit, next time you start you will have to start from the beginning' lol.

So yeah everyone into the genre play the fuckn game.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:53 pm

The 2 lead folk on this game came from Gryptonite, where they already showed passion for the genre in Shinobi 3Ds, which I also loved.

cools
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby cools » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Looks good. What res does it run? (i.e. could I run it on a 640x480 monitor?)

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:26 am

In fullscreen it runs at whatever your desktop res is, by default. I don't even see options to change it (I'm at 1920x1080). I'm not sure what you'd need to do to get rid of scaling. In windowed mode it has options going down to 800x600. EDIT: It runs in 640x480 fullscreen when you set your desktop rest to that, but it scales pretty rough.

The developers posted a bit in a thread on NeoGAF back when the kickstarter for this opened and were really responsive to me and some other posters that were talking about wanting a tough game that was paced like an arcade game and enjoyable to 1cc and all that. Haven't dug into it yet but I'm pretty happy that it seems to have turned out well.

cools
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby cools » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks, I've got hold of it now - running in a window on LCD at 640x480 it doesn't look too bad, hopefully a CRT will be even more forgiving.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 am

It's on Steam... I assume this is Windows only, yeah?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:08 am

It's DRM-free on GOG.com. Seems to be Windows-only for now, but you never know about the future--it's pretty amazing how many indie devs are supporting Mac & Linux lately.

EDIT: Some folks are reporting it runs fine under the Mac version of WINE, if you're up for some self-flagellation outside of the game.
You also distaste me with passion!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:02 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:EDIT: Some folks are reporting it runs fine under the Mac version of WINE, if you're up for some self-flagellation outside of the game.

Is the setup still like jamming a pencil up your dick?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 am

The last time I tried using Wine was an attempt to run Unreal on a 500Mhz Celeron laptop running something like Mandrake 8 back in late 2001. I'm not sure if it's any better now, but that experience swore me off of trying to game on any OS but Windows for a full decade. Though to be fair, those were also the days in which you were fucked if you wanted to get online (dialup) and your laptop didn't have the one specific modem chip out of like 65,536 possibilities that was actually supported by Linux at the time, so I suppose I can allow that software may have improved in the intervening years.

Wineskin seems to be the most recently updated Mac version of Wine, and the game's compatibility is listed as Platinum in WineHQ's database, which generally implies that the game pretty much runs out of the box, or installer, or whatever. Can't vouch for those claims myself, though.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:43 am

I backed this but don't remember getting my reward for it!

Bit out of touch since starting my new job...
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:07 am

You think there's any chance of burning out?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:24 am

I remember seeing Shoutime in the credits lol

This is the first game I've speedran, the online leaderboards make it pretty fun to compete in, haven't played in a while though.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:32 am

Just to let everyone know, this is now on sale for $5.99 on GOG.com (DRM free!) as part of their winter sale. I'm looking to scoop it up with a few others on my wishlist, so maybe I'll have something to contribute to the discussion here soon.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:54 am

Damn, this game is tough. It's also one of those that makes it incredibly obvious that you are responsible for your own failures; part of a level will be a complete pain in the ass until you memorize the proper path, and then you can slide on through without breaking a sweat.

The one complaint I have about this style of game in general is that, broadly speaking, you're always fucked when you reach a new area. Because of the reliance on figuring out just how to utilize your limited abilities to make it through safely, you MUST die in order to become familiar with the next set of monsters and traps. Flying through by the seat of your pants is nigh impossible. Granted, I'm not sure how you'd do it differently and still keep a balanced difficulty, but the frustration when you miss that ONE move in your otherwise perfectly choreographed routine is excruciating. Not a complaint about the game itself, I guess, but more a commentary on the genre as a whole. Case in point: started playing yesterday, got to the boss of the first world, botched that up but learned a bit about his attacks and weak points, and... now it's back to the start of the second half of the world again. Some people complain about the real problem being lack of more frequent save points, but I'm not sure that's the solution.

I know they're really different, but the experience of playing this reminds me a lot of when we had the high score competition with Bay Route here a few years back. It's that same concept--inch forward, die a lot, memorize your path through, and then move through those parts with your eyes closed. I really need to start seeking out more games with this design philosophy, though I know getting the balance just right is a bitch.

Oh, and for anyone yet to purchase this: the GoG.com version does NOT include online leaderboard functionality, so be sure to get the one off of Steam or direct from the producers (which has a DRM-free download AND Steam key) if you don't want to play in a vacuum.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:17 am

Finally got my copy!

become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Where's the other half!?

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:02 pm

You got the other half if you pledged for the next highest reward tier on the Kickstarter.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”