On gamengai, Gaijin Punch and videogame theory

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re:

Postby skykid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:04 am

icycalm wrote:
skyretard wrote:Your 'work' of course - few people can write something so pedantic and illegible, while failing to actually make a point.

It's a quote from a French philosopher, imbecile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Girard

Can you write ONE SENTENCE that's not utterly imbecilic?

Ha ha ha, and you related that to Cave games? No wonder it makes no sense. :whack:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

icycalm
#1 video game and art theorist in his world

Postby icycalm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:10 am

Girard says that all the great novelists write the exact same thing, because it is precisely part of greatness to converge, in this manner, on the psychological truth of the subject matter.

In a similar manner, Cave games are so similar, not because of a lack of inspiration on Ikeda's part, as the casuals like Tim Rogers say, but because of how highly evolved and perfected the formula he's working with is.

In a similar manner, all modern games are converging on the first-person, open world design, not because there is a lack of inspiration in the industry, but because this is the perfect game design of the future.

My connections are all genius, and one has to be a very sad excuse of a lifeform indeed to still fail to get them after I have explained them so thoroughly in my amazing essays and books.

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re:

Postby skykid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:22 am

icycalm wrote:My connections are all genius, and one has to be a very sad excuse of a lifeform indeed to still fail to get them after I have explained them so thoroughly in my amazing essays and books.

Isaac Newton was a genius. You're an idiot. Your books are terrible because you can't write and inject incorrectly spelt homophobic slurs to try and bolster an argument.

Leave the philosophers alone, they deserve far better representation.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Re: On gamengai, Gaijin Punch and videogame theory

Postby Shou » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:51 am

icycalm wrote:Shou is a weeaboo who has dumped a couple shitty games that only Macaw will ever play (because he plays everything, no matter how shitty), and I am writing the theory that every single game designer in the future will be reading. What difference does it make where you got your stupid coding monkey degree from if you can't tell how tiny, indeed negligible, Shou's contribution is compared to mine? I already told him that no one will ever know of him. Even in that tiny Shmups forum full of weeaboos no one has heard of him. Contribution my ass. You can't even tell the difference between pedantry and world-historic wisdom, you fuckin' Texan dullard.

For being a #1 gaming theory guy on the internet, you should learn the history of it before making a liar of yourself.

1) I was on shmups in the beginning when it was started by malc and Akira. In fact, GP knows of me from way back then when Grant W was still around. Vets like alamone know exactly who I am. Unlike you, I don't care if people acknowledge me or not. What I do in life or in gaming is not driven by anyone but myself.

2) No one in the arcade emulation scene in the last few years can compare to the quantity and quality of games that I have dumped or still have yet to release (I still have games where only 1 board is known to exist but have yet to announce it).

Japanese versions of deluxe arcade games and Sega games with suicide batteries are just the beginning of what I have provided for game curation.

Here's a list of titles (redacted) on just Sega hardware that I dumped. This appears to be more than just a few and likely titles that more than just Macaw would enjoy.

A.B. Cop (J) 317-0169B
Cotton (J) 317-1079B - latest rev
Dynamite Dux (J) 317-0094
ESWAT (J) 317-0131 - latest rev
GP Rider (J) 317-0161
Last Survivor (J) 317-0083
OutRun (J) 317-0019 - latest rev
Time Scanner (J) 317-0024
Turbo OutRun (J) 317-0017 - latest rev

Air Rescue (J)
Jurassic Park SD (J)
Jurassic Park DX (J)
MANX TT DX (J)
OutRunners (J)
Sega Netmerc - the last Sega Model 1 game that no one has reported in a collection
Spider-man (J)
Title Fight (J)

Crackin' DJ Part 2 (J)
F-ZERO AX Ver C, D, E (J)
Gun Survivor 2 (J, U, W)
Mars TV (J)
Mazan (U)
Ninja Assault (J, W)
Radirgy Ver A (J)
Rhythm Tengoku (J)

3) If anything, your love for Arcana Heart shows much of a weeaboo you are, not to mention how uneducated you are in the fighting game genre.

Before you embarrass yourself again, I have won tournaments in Japan and placed top 2 in Evo. I have been invited as a guest to Tougeki for years. My picture has been in Arcadia multiple times. Besides the lavish praise you have for yourself, where's your cred again?
become history

icycalm

Postby icycalm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:09 am

Yes, without you OutRun would never have been dumped.

All your accomplishments are negligible. And that's why no one knows you. It makes no difference if you were Malc's girlfriend at one point -- you haven't made any significant contributions to videogames.

Like for example a 36-page essay that explains that scoring is anti-immersive, and therefore anti-artistic, among a shitload of other things:

http://imgur.com/a/q6BUr#0

Like I said, you are a nobody. Therefore you should not get upset at the fact that no one knows you and no one ever will. Just accept who you are and go back to masturbating over your PCBs.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:22 am

Your pity attempts at insulting are really laughable. You're not dealing with Gamefaqs kiddies. Step it up so we can have at least educated insults. I know you're trying your best with your limited worldly experience but there are far more advanced ways to do this. Read up on it and write me a 100 page essay on how you can improve it for posterity.

Having you stalk another forum to quote GP about me and knowing that I have a PCB collection already shows that even the not-so-great icycalm knows about me. And, if you are the #1 gaming theory prick in the world, surely that means someone you recognized is far from a nobody but rather a significant somebody, somebody who you spend a good amount of time and attention upon.

While it is flattering you put me on a pedestal, I only continue to do this to get a rise out of you.
become history

icycalm

Postby icycalm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:27 am

In fact if you had taken the trouble to read my essays, and understood anything of them, you would have realized that IT IS PRECISELY YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS that are preventing you from understanding anything about videogame theory. I have explained at length, in the linked essay and also in the previous essay of the book the essay was published in, that competitive gaming is decadent, since the pleasure comes from outside the game (the leaderboard), instead of from inside it.

In all the time it took you to become "champion" of some shitty stick-wiggling exercise I was surfing, snowboarding, fucking, reading philosophy and traveling, AND PLAYING MORE GAMES THAN YOU HAVE EVER PLAYED -- among a great many other things -- and that's why I am a master theorist while you are a weeaboo who thinks that being good at wiggling a little metal stick is a genuine accomplishment worth bragging about.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re:

Postby Shou » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:36 am

icycalm wrote:In fact if you had taken the trouble to read my essays, and understood anything of them, you would have realized that IT IS PRECISELY YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS that are preventing you from understanding anything about videogame theory. I have explained at length, in the linked essay and also in the previous essay of the book the essay was published in, that competitive gaming is decadent, since the pleasure comes from outside the game (the leaderboard), instead of from inside it.

In all the time it took you to become "champion" of some shitty stick-wiggling exercise I was surfing, snowboard, fucking, reading philosophy and travelling, AND PLAYING MORE GAMES THAN YOU HAVE EVER PLAYED -- among a great many other things -- and that's why I am a master theorist while you are a weeaboo who thinks that being good at wiggling a little metal stick is a genuine accomplishment worth bragging about.

You've made a terrible assumption there, old chap. I never once clicked your links. Reading your inexperienced drivel on here is enough to understand where your derivative thinking comes from.

There are many forms of competitive gaming (not just video games) and shocking it may be to you, not all involve a leaderboard! As long as humans have existed and continue to exist, competitive games will too. It is simply human nature. Embrace it before you die alone in your pitiful corner wondering where your time went.

While you try to wave your feeble penis, I feel quite accomplished looking down from the pedestal you put me on knowing that I am quite above having to whip out my dick for a contest on the internet.
become history

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:46 am

Arcana Heart?

What the fuck.

Like for example a 36-page essay that explains that scoring is anti-immersive, and therefore anti-artistic, among a shitload of other things

Scoring isn't anti-immersive. Quite the opposite, it's a tool used since the earliest video games to create additional depth through competition - a naturally immersive human tack - augmenting what may otherwise be a fruitless experience.

That makes your 36 pages a null waste of time, unsurprisingly. As for being anti-artistic, impossible, since the work is in and of itself, a whole, and should be viewed as such, especially if scoring is a primary mechanism for achievement. Honestly, can you spell asshole?

And that's why no one knows you.

Zyrmpas, no-one knows you. You're recognised as an infamous dolt on a few small-time forums nattering about games and what people had for breakfast. No-one cares about your inane pursuit of applying philosophy to gaming. Universities won't be calling. You've helped not one single developer improve their bottom line figures.

To the world, you're a nobody, destined to remain. To us, you're a hoot. Carry on.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:54 am

Food for thought: JAPJAC vs icycalm death match
become history

icycalm

Postby icycalm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:55 am

Shou wrote:There are many forms of competitive gaming (not just video games) and shocking it may be to you, not all involve a leaderboard!

It's the same thing even if no one's keeping score. Your goal is to beat the other PLAYER, whereas in art all goals should be directed at the AVATARS. Art is all about the ILLUSION, and because you are such a loser in real life, you are trying to make it all about the REALITY. That's why you feel so proud of yourself when you tell us about Tougeki or whatever. But there is no Tougeki INSIDE THE WORLD OF VIRTUA FIGHTER. Tougeki is only a venue for losers for whom art is not the END but merely a MEANS of feeling that they've accomplished something.

Real accomplishments take place in reality, virtual ones (i.e. fake ones) in virtuality.

It is stupid to be proud of a virtual accomplishment. It's like saying you are good at masturbation.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re:

Postby Shou » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:07 am

icycalm wrote:
Shou wrote:There are many forms of competitive gaming (not just video games) and shocking it may be to you, not all involve a leaderboard!

It's the same thing even if no one's keeping score. Your goal is to beat the other PLAYER, whereas in art all goals should be directed at the AVATARS. Art is all about the ILLUSION, and because you are such a loser in real life, you are trying to make it all about the REALITY. That's why you feel so proud of yourself when you tell us about Tougeki or whatever. But there is no Tougeki INSIDE THE WORLD OF VIRTUA FIGHTER. Tougeki is only a venue for losers for whom art is not the END but merely a MEANS of feeling that they've accomplished something.

Real accomplishments take place in reality, virtual ones (i.e. fake ones) in virtuality.

It is stupid to be proud of a virtual accomplishment. It's like saying you are good at masturbation.

Look, it's obvious you are getting desperate here with your very far reaching correlations but you've missed an obvious point.

Your assumption of being the #1 game theory whatever IS ONLY IN YOUR VIRTUAL WORLD WHICH IS AN ILLUSION. You've neglected to take into account the many futures that are occurring from this point in time where you are nothing just like you are today.

Get working on that theory to change the days of future past.

While in our current reality, what we can see here is how riled up you are about how we aren't fazed by your antics and enjoy it.
become history

icycalm

Postby icycalm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:19 am

You know what, I'll take pity on you and leave you alone. But before I leave I would like to reiterate what I said in the previous thread I posted in here, all those months ago.

This is one of my top 5 videogame sites and forums on the internet.

I absolutely love to death every one of you, and first and above all Gaijin Punch (with the exception of skyretard -- he is a noob poser who knows nothing and only comes to post here when I do).

All you guys know A SHITLOAD about 2D Japanese games. Some of you know quite a bit about 3D ones too. You, Shou, know also a lot about Western ones. And Macaw knows about more genres than anyone I know of besides me.

Every moment I have spent on here has been a sheer pleasure (yes, including the recent moments -- but for a different reason). Some idiot on the Shmups thread called this place "a barren wasteland" -- but only because he is an ADHD monkey who needs 100 new shitposts an hour to keep his brain occupied. There is nothing "barren" about gamengai: it is a treasure trove of love for Japanese videogames, and one can spend entire months reading every single post here and never get bored.

HOWEVER.

None of you have the intelligence, education and WIDE gaming knowledge to so much as BEGIN to tackle theoretical issues. Therefore, if you had any sense in you, you'd keep your mouths SHUT when theorists and geniuses begin to speak.

This, however, is too much to ask of you, I know.

So, I am going to go back to my site and rule in the field of theory, and I will leave you now here in peace to rule in the obscure 2D Japanese gaming field in which you obviously rule -- and deserve to. And if I have anything more to say, either on your pathetic attempts to discuss me or my theories, or on what the riff raff on Shmups are saying, I will post it in the same place where I post all similar comments on my site:

http://culture.vg/forum/topic?f=13&t=2618

Take care then.

Love,

icy

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: Re:

Postby skykid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:34 am

Shou wrote:Your assumption of being the #1 game theory whatever IS ONLY IN YOUR VIRTUAL WORLD WHICH IS AN ILLUSION. You've neglected to take into account the many futures that are occurring from this point in time where you are nothing just like you are today.

I lit a candle in honour of this one.

icycalm wrote:Tougeki is only a venue for losers for whom art is not the END but merely a MEANS of feeling that they've accomplished something.

Except there's an art to sport, skill, demonstration and accomplishment, isn't there? Or else why continue to publicly regale us with your ability in game theory and philosophy?

I don't think you know what you're talking about, and your cracked writings certainly don't help to explain it any, because they make just as little sense.

I'll glance over your future works and smile when I see you attempting to decrease hyphenation and implement proper paragraph structure (killing caps lock would be smart too, it's decidedly unprofessional.) In doing so, you will be painfully acknowledging that you learned something from a sub-human imbecile who can't read, but you're just going to have to live with that fact unless you wilfully seek no improvement. I won't lord it over you, it'll be our little secret.

I've had fun here today. Now I know what it feels like to be a gang rapist.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re:

Postby sven666 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:43 pm

icycalm wrote:Everything I have ever seen you post is stupid. And I mean everything. I wouldn't know where to start with that post of yours.

bwaahahaha you sure hit the nail on the head there! :D
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:28 pm

GP Rider. New nickname for the woman.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 pm

I like my art theory, and I can't say I'm impressed by that first post of this topic and its quote.

If theory peaks at that, I'd probably stop thinking.

I suggest the following definition for the genre of belt fighting games:

-360° movement
-attacks exclusively in two opposing directions
-focus on close combat
-more than one aggressor during levels

these characteristics lead to games that can mediate their own sense of adventure, as valid as the ones in other and newer genres.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:47 pm

some more thoughts:

The genre wasn't born out of 3D. 3D / isometric graphics were done before that (in the west, on home computers).

I'd speculate that the driving force behind Renegade was the wish to simulate a gang fight, a fight of one or two guys that alone take on a whole fearful, degenerated gang of violators in physical combat.
The graphics and gameplay were just the adequate tool to make this real.

Of course, the gameplay and graphical representation that were coined by that initial urge can be used for a variety of themes (everything on CPS2 for example), still the gang fighting theme depicting or reminiscing 80s popular culture is the classical subject.

The gang fighting could be another legit way to define the genre, this would include i.e. Spikeout then.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”