Neo-Geo Thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Neo-Geo Thread

Postby mackdangerously » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:56 am

Since the Neo is one of my favorite systems, I'm wondering if there are any other Neo lovers here. I have been without one for a long time, but next month I will be able to finish my MVS project and be back in.
Here are some personal favorites and recommendations:

Magician Lord

I have probably played through this game thousands of times and I never get tired of it. It is definitely one of my favorites for any system. People bitch about the difficulty, but with some power up and stage strategy it isn't too hard. I have only come across a handful of people who like this game and that gives me the feel bads. Years ago while I was still in college, everyone was busy and I was bored. So I got wasted and started looking at various game forums. On one forum, I found people speaking ill of Magician Lord and that raised my ire. So I signed up an account, slagged off all their moms and got banned. Good times.

Sengoku
I think I am the only person on the planet that enjoys this one. I like the whole series but this one is my favorite. While I recognize the flaws, everything else from the weird spirit world sections, to the strategy involved in using your transformations effectively make up for the flaws. If you have given this one a fair shake and you still hate it, I understand.

Shock Troopers
With the different characters, different routes, and cool stages, this one is a lot of fun. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot.

Ninja Masters
Despite the brain dead infintes, this one is a lot of fun to play with other people. My friends and I used to have weapons banned tournaments which were cool.

I have many more recommendations and favorites but I don't want to shoot the whole wad in one post. What about you folks? Any Neo love to be had here?

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: Neo-Geo Thread

Postby Imhotep » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:34 pm

Magician Lord is also in my NeoGeo top v, mainly because of atmosphere and design, but I also like the gameplay with respawning enemies.

I also agree on being positive about Sengoku, while I'm not so sure about the gameplay, the presentation, introducing enemies to the screen etc. is as inspired as it gets, without equal in the genre.

And you also nailed it with Shock Troopers imo. While I'm not too keen on the graphics, the gameplay is the best in the genre.

Another one to set the standard in the genre is Nam-1975, though the competition isn't very strong.

The Neo has many great fighting games. On the gameplay side, I enjoy Fatal Fury Real Bout 2 and Samurai Spirits 4 the most, but Art of Fighting 2 and Fatal Fury 3 get extra big points for offering a worthwhile single player experience.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:01 pm

With all the topic views but no replies, I was starting to get worried there.
It is very interesting that you mentioned AOF 2. I also think it is a great game, especially when played with friends. However, I think you are the first person I have come across that also likes the single player. Most people balk at the high difficulty and the way you have to cheese out some of the A.I. especially Geese. I was always disappointed when I went to the arcade and no one was playing AOF2. I wanted some competition.

Also, if you can get some friends together for a session, pop open some drinks and then pop in Savage Reign. Drunken boomerang martial arts action is great fun.

Do you have a home cart system? I ditched mine about seven years ago but I am working on a CMVS.
I am now in the process of gathering the MVS carts I want but unfortunately, internet re-sellers are making finding some of them very difficult. I never thought living in Japan I would have trouble finding a game I wanted, especially an MVS cart. Guess I need to finally make a Yahoo account. :(

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:15 am

Don't worry my man; I would not have left you hanging for long!

Unfortunately, the Neo Geo and the PC Engine are the two major "old" consoles I know almost nothing about. I would like to purchase an AES whenever I get to Japan someday (whenever that will be!), though I am concerned that most of the best games are fighting games. I like fighting games, but the problem is that I want to play them primarily against human opponents. If I can find an arcade or meet up with buddies who are into some version of The King of Fighters or whatever, that would be great, but otherwise I don't want to spend all day whacking off against the CPU.

That said, I'm looking forward to more non-fighting game recommendations! I see plenty such games on the Neo Geo game list page on Wikipedia, and here are a few that caught my eye (other than the Metal Slugs, of course):

Ninja Combat
NInja Commando
Crossed Swords (insert gay joke here)
Burning Fight
Musashi Ganryuki

I watched some YouTube videos for a couple, and they seem playable, at least.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:53 am

Excellent, excellent. Everyone gather around, there is enough Neo for everyone.
Unless you are loaded and have a lot of patience, I would not recommend going the AES route. You can't even find home carts in most stores here anymore and when you do, you will be paying through the nose for even the most common crappers. If I am successful in making my consolized MVS, when (if) you get here, I'll make you one and you can join the MVS ghetto crew.

For the games you mentioned, I enjoy all of those except Musashi Ganryuki, because I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Ninja Combat is like those cheesy 80's ninja movies made into a game, so of course I get a huge kick out of it. Crossed Swords I also dig quite a bit. Watch out for the Demon Goat though.

There are a few arcades here that at least used to run tournaments for obscure fighters. I know Mikado used to quite regularly. I haven't checked their blog in some time so I am not sure about now. Check out this guy's channel, he has a bunch of them uploaded:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEdbQn ... Kfl4w6ob5w

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:37 am

Wow, fuck that then. I knew the stuff would be expensive, but I didn't think there would be price-gouging and extreme rarity for the games. I just checked completed listings on American eBay and see upwards of $400+ for individual Metal Slug games. Compare that to some completed auctions that include every MVS Metal Slug game that ended for around the same price. It seems like MVS is the way to go! And the irony is that the situation is the exact opposite of what it was back when the AES was still kicking:

Wikipedia neckbeards wrote:The MVS and AES hardware can execute identical machine code. Owners can move EPROMs from one type to the other, and the game would still run. The program specifics for both MVS and AES game options were contained on every game ROM, whether the cartridge was intended for home or arcade use. However, the arcade and home cartridges do have a different pinout. They were designed this way to prevent arcade operators from buying the cheaper home carts and then using them in arcades. It has been found that in a few home version games, one could unlock the arcade version of the game by inputting a special code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_AE ... al_aspects

On the topic of being a cheapass: Do you know anything about these 150-in-1 or 161-in-1 AES carts? Are they crappy Chinese knockoffs or something worth considering?

And excuse my ignorance, but would said consolized MVS also be JAMMA-compliant? That would satiate my dual desire to get lots of Neo Geo games as well as start some PCB love. More noobness: Will you be using an AES stick or wiring up something else?

mackdangerously wrote:People bitch about [Magician Lord's] difficulty, but with some power up and stage strategy it isn't too hard.

Have you 1CC'ed it? I watched a video of it in action, and other than the bizarre walking animation (the dude looks like he just returned from his first colonoscopy), it looks particularly badass and quite difficult. If it plays as well as it looks, I'd be willing to put in the time for a clear.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:25 am

If you are also looking to get into PCBs, you are better off getting a supergun like the Sigma and then just plugging the MVS board into it. I decided to go the CMVS route because PCBs are a deep dark rabbit hole I don't want to go down. The multi-carts I don't really know much about.

The MV1F board I am using has controller ports on it, so for now I will be using one of the standard Neo controllers. Later on I will probably buy a better stick and wire up a custom one.

I 1cced Mag Lord a long time ago. Probably couldn't do it now without some practice.

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Thu May 01, 2014 4:21 am

Cool, thanks for the suggestion! I'll figure out the best setup when the time comes, and I'm sure that determination will involve this wonderful forum.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Tue May 06, 2014 7:14 am

CMVS SUCCESS!!!!!

After quite a bit of stress, I finally got my consolized MVS up and running. The only other project I have done at this point was a custom Mega Drive joystick, so remember I am not exactly an expert. Have a seat, and let me share my struggle.

After giving up on trying to make an RGB cable myself due to lack of information about the specific wires, I ended up buying the RGB cable made for the Sigma supergun. About a week ago I bought it, came home, and wired everything up. I snapped on the power switch and was greeted with absolutely nothing. I mean nothing at all. No flashes, no beeps, no creeps, no sweeps, nothing. It was already kind of late, and since I was tired and pissed off, I went to bed and decided to check everything the following evening. I broke out the multimeter and found that all of my connections were solid. I checked the Sigma RGB cable diagram again and realized I was looking at the solder side, not the plug side. So all of my wiring on the din was backwards. I then sighed, said a few bad words, and decided that the following weekend I would do it all over again. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon.

I started from the beginning, wired it all up, and judiciously checked and rechecked every single connection. I clicked on the power switch and...nothing. Now I was stumped. Then I noticed that the power light wasn't coming on. I knew it was working because I checked it when the guys at MAK tested it. So then I realized the board wasn't getting power. I checked all the wiring and it was fine. I decided to swap out my power jack for a different one that I had. The one that I installed was labelled as 2.5mm, but it was really loose. It almost felt that the plug was just sitting inside it. I swapped if out for a different type and BOOM we got cross hatch. I put in a game and noticed the colors were hosed up, so I then installed 150ohm resistors on the RGB lines. After that I still had to make some adjustments on my Framemeister to get the colors right but when I did, hot damn did it look great.

I started the whole thing around 2 p.m. and finished right at midnight. I took a shower and then played until about 4:30 a.m. I am definitely thrilled to finally be able to play one of my favorite systems again. Now, if the internet re-sellers would stop grabbing all the MVS carts I want, that would be great.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:51 am

Just a little update...

A comment was left on one of my you tube videos, remarking that my MVS output was looking a little dim, and maybe I should swap out the 150 ohm resistors for 120 ohm resistors. I finally got around to trying it yesterday and it looks great. So, if you are thinking about making a CMVS, definitely try 120 ohm resistors first.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:54 am

So I went a strange route with the NeoGeo. AES is really pricey, and I didn't want to own stacks of MVS carts. Emulation is pretty good, and some of the PS2 compilations that run in 240p are superb so what I did with the Neo was a bit of a compromise. I wanted real Neo hardware, just not a lot, and I didn't want to break the bank.

I own a nice little Neo setup, with a Modded S-Video UNIBIOS AES Neo-Geo Home Console, 2 sticks (original, non-bean), and about 14 AES games. I have some cheapies like Magician Lord, but I managed to score some sweet deals on KOF2001 ($97) and Sengoku 2 ($65). I might snag a few more if I come across some good deals, but what I have has been serving me quite well.

My collection is as follows so far:

Cyber-Lip
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
King of Fighters 2001
Magician Lord
Ninja Combat
Samurai Shodown
Sengoku
Sengoku 2
Fatal Fury Special
Matrimelee (JP ver.)
Samurai Spirits 2 (JP ver.)
Samurai Spirits 3 (JP ver.)
World Heroes 2 (JP ver.)

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:17 pm

That's a nice spread you have there. $65 for Sengoku 2 on home cart is frigging loco. I am curious, is Magician Lord MVS getting hard to find out west? I have been looking here in Tokyo for months and it absolutely refuses to surface. It can't be going for very much, because the complete home cart doesn't even break 10k yen. It's one of my favorites so I am starting to get irritated.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Hehe, I've been looking for an MVS Magician Lord for a while as well. Doesn't pop up too often, I'm afraid.

I can really recommend Musashi Ganryuuki, if you like your Ninja sidescroll action. Not anywhere near the greatness of the Super Shinobis, Hagane, Cannon Dancer and Strider 2, but pretty solid game nonetheless.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm

CIT Seven Force wrote:Hehe, I've been looking for an MVS Magician Lord for a while as well. Doesn't pop up too often, I'm afraid.

I seriously can not understand why it is so tough to get a hold of. It isn't even a very well liked game among even the most maniacal Neo heads. Maybe no one is selling it because they think no one wants it. I don't know. Just have to hope I get lucky I guess.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:01 pm

It was the first Neo Geo game, so I'm sure it just had a comparatively low print run, as the system wasn't widespread yet.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:58 am

Well, after four solid months of searching, a Magician Lord finally popped up at MaK and I grabbed it this morning. I was surprised that the price was close to the home cart price. One thing that is great about Mak, if people are waiting at the door when they open, they will serve them before they start taking the phone orders. TRY will start taking phone orders before they open. So something they posted on the stock list the night before, could still be gone first thing in the morning.

**EDIT**

Been playing for a bit and noticed some interesting things. Before, I had only played the home cart version on default settings because I didn't have a modded bios. MVS default difficulty (4) on most games, isn't much harder than the default home cart normal (3). However, in Magician Lord's case, it seems quite a step up. There are a lot more flying enemies and they will rain bullets down on you.

Also, in the home and MVS versions, there is an invisible timer that counts down and when it runs out, an invincible monster will come down from the top of the screen and kill you. When I had the home version, I never bothered timing it to see how long you had. But in the MVS soft dips, you can make it visible. I was surprised to see the timer is longer or shorter depending on the stage. It also resets on bosses and mid-bosses. I say reset, but even those values are different. You may have 2:20 for the stage, then at the mid-boss it resets to 1:30, then on the boss they give you 3:00. I never knew that is how it worked.

One confusing thing, however, is the life bar. I always thought in the MVS version your default was two blocks for the regular form and two blocks for the transformation, for a total of four. My settings are all default and MVS(4) difficulty and I have a total of six. There is no soft dip setting to change the life bar. Either I was imagining things, there are different board revisions, or higher difficulties will give you less life. I know there are different versions of the home cart. One version had the animated intro and one didn't. If anyone can shed some light let me know.

**EDIT AGAIN**
Check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-oUGR7eyAk
Here, the guy has the four block life-bar. He may be playing the Japanese home cart though and not the MVS. That could be what confused me. I had the U.S. home cart and the Japanese no intro home cart at one point and I honestly can't remember what the life bar looked like.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:50 am

mackdangerously wrote:Well, after four solid months of searching, a Magician Lord finally popped up at MaK and I grabbed it this morning. I was surprised that the price was close to the home cart price. One thing that is great about Mak, if people are waiting at the door when they open, they will serve them before they start taking the phone orders. TRY will start taking phone orders before they open. So something they posted on the stock list the night before, could still be gone first thing in the morning.

Mak will serve in person customers first as you said, TRY actually serves Twitter and phone calls around the same time.
become history

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:45 am

Wow, even Twitter? That explains things. About a month ago, they posted their stock list Saturday night and Mutation Nation popped up for a low ass price. I think it was like 3200. I figured since it was posted well after their phone orders closed, I could grab it in the morning. I got there a few minutes before they opened and another guy was waiting there too. They opened the door and let us in and both of us were already out of luck. The other guy was after Night Slashers. You should have seen his face.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:12 am

Blame STV too, he stalks them for stock.
become history

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:06 am

I didn't know anything about that guy until recently. I actually saw him in Mandarake once. He was with some other curly haired drag queen looking dude. They were both talking so loudly you could hear them from the door as soon as you walked in. Face was very punchable.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:01 pm

I thought STV's been banned at most arcade-vendors in Tokyo?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:17 am

mackdangerously wrote:I didn't know anything about that guy until recently. I actually saw him in Mandarake once. He was with some other curly haired drag queen looking dude. They were both talking so loudly you could hear them from the door as soon as you walked in. Face was very punchable.

Really doing a favor to the gaijin community. :-/
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:16 am

CIT Seven Force wrote:I thought STV's been banned at most arcade-vendors in Tokyo?

He isn't banned but a qty limitation has been placed on him. He is also scared of showing his face in front of me.
become history

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:46 am

I keep bumping into STV recently - there seems to be a few other regular guys with the lists and full shopping baskets recently too.

I guess that low yen is opening doors for someone, thanks Abenomics !
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:35 am

It's been like that for a while. Well, to me, anyway (but not always the PCB shops). I used to be the only whitey in Akihabara, but that was 1999 or 2000. People caught on soon, and then the party was over... or at least not as fun. Haha.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Return to “Japanese Video Games”