Thread of Adventure

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Thread of Adventure

Postby EOJ » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:18 pm

I'm interested in any recommended Adventure games, specifically those similar to the old point-and-click adventures. I've recently played through the Monkey Island PC games (XBLA versions), the first Phoenix Wright, and Dangan Ronpa, and I enjoyed all of them, so I'm looking for similar Japanese games, and in particular those from the 32-bit era to the present. I am not very interested in playing these on the Famicom or Master System due to the horrid graphics and archaic UIs, though I won't ignore highly recommended PC-Engine, Megadrive or Super Famicom adventure games (I did play through Shadowgate way back in the day, which was great).

I haven't played Snatcher, and I've only played a bit of Policenauts, but that was many years ago. Do either of them hold up well today?

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: Thread of Adventure

Postby sven666 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 pm

very un-japanesey but you said you like monkey island so... broken sword 1 & 2 are great, proboably available on psn aswell.

if you dont mind impossibly hard puzzles and goofy humor, discworld and blazing dragons (both ps1) are both worth a playthrough aswell.
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:39 am

Thanks. I know nothing about any of those games, so I'll give them a try.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:39 pm

oh yeah, havent played it myself but Hotel Dusk for the DS is supposed to be very good, a bit more japanese in its style aswell..
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Have you played Cobra the Spaceadventure yet? The Mega CD Version of it is quite nice but there is also a Version for the Playstation.

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:57 pm

sven666 wrote:very un-japanesey but you said you like monkey island so... broken sword 1 & 2 are great, proboably available on psn aswell.

if you dont mind impossibly hard puzzles and goofy humor, discworld and blazing dragons (both ps1) are both worth a playthrough aswell.

The Resolution makes those Games a bit hard to play. I would recommend the PC Versions of them all. Broken Swords II is really not much fun on the Playstation (played it recently) and Discworld 2 can be really frustrating when you need to locate a item on screen.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:46 am

CTN wrote:Have you played Cobra the Spaceadventure yet? The Mega CD Version of it is quite nice but there is also a Version for the Playstation.

No, but I did some googling just now and this one looks really cool. Thanks!

cm8833
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby cm8833 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:37 am

If you enjoy investigation games, you could try the Missing Parts series. It was released on Dreamcast, PS2, and PSP.

Nanatsu kaze no shima no monogatari for Saturn has a pretty unique art style but the game does involve a lot of backtracking.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:30 pm

99% of Japanese adventure games are the picture and text variety rather than point and click, but there are a couple on pc98 that are an exception:

http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/screen/G2129.html
http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/screen/G3665.html

Tokyo Twilight Busters in particular is rather incredible. It has a DS port too but a lot of the graphical detail is cut down and therefore theres far less atmosphere, along with the fact that its on a handheld.

As far as non point and click go, ALL the games in the JB Harold series are superb if you like detective stuff. The second game, Manhattan Requiem, is a particular standout. Most of them came out in the 80's but continuously get remakes and ports to this day.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, lots of stuff for me to check out.

I'm also looking forward to Makoto Asada's (5pb/mages) upcoming game Mystereet F 2, for the Xbox One, which is said to be a detective-type adventure game. Instant Brain was excellent, and I am hoping this will be of similar quality.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:10 am

I'm going to give a somewhat useless answer that is neither Japanese nor console-based, but I've had a lot of fun recently with Daedalic Entertainment's Deponia series, which I picked up over the course of a few sales on GoG.com. It's a traditional, Lucasarts-style 2D point-and-click affair that manages to carry a fair amount of the wacky humor that made the Monkey Island titles so great. Unfortunately, the Deponia games aren't quite masterpiece level--the writing is occasionally a bit nonsensical owing, probably, to translation issues from the original German; the engine can sometimes be a little buggy; and some of the puzzles suffer a bit too much from the non-sequitur solutions that plagued some adventures in the classic era. Overall, though, a really fun experience, in my opinion.

And of course, there's Tim Schafer's recent Broken Age, which isn't quite as laugh-out-loud funny as his previous works, but makes up for it with some really solid voice acting and absolutely beautiful design.
You also distaste me with passion!

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:46 pm

EOJ wrote:I haven't played Snatcher, and I've only played a bit of Policenauts, but that was many years ago. Do either of them hold up well today?

Earlier this year, I played the US Sega CD version of Snatcher and was pretty mesmerized by it. Terrific graphics, memorable music (I am humming some tunes in my brain as I type this), great writing and voice acting, and a great setting that makes you feel like you're acting out a side story to Blade Runner.

A few leeks after beating Snatcher, I played the PlayStation version of Policenauts. It's good, but not nearly as great as Snatcher. The plot and setting aren't as interesting, and the plot really starts to drag in the second half of the game. All the Kojima games I've played have excellent beginnings and middles, but they always end with so many silly plot twists and deus ex machinas that I get pulled out of the world and just want the game to end. He has quite a habit of beating dead horses and slowly dragging their carcasses to the cemetery!

Both games can be completed in about 10 hours or less, so they're definitely worth a quick romp!

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:23 am

The Neverhood was my favorite. A spiritual sequel called Armikrog is currently being developed.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:51 pm

How do you guys like D no Shokutaku? I got the SS version last year, tried it briefly, and loved atmosphere and how everything plays out in real-time (you can't save your progress, or even pause the game), but was too busy at the time to continue playing it. Definitely gonna give it another shot next time I have my Saturn hooked up though.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:15 am

I got D for the 3DO for Christmas 1995 (along with Seiken Densetsu 3 -- not a bad Christmas!). I thought it was a good game at the time, though I never went back to it after I finished it. I wonder how it holds up today.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”