NES RGB Kits

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

NES RGB Kits

Postby mackdangerously » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:06 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that you can buy these kits in Akiba here:

http://www.march-rabbit.jp/

Don't go to the main store, they only have the kits at shop number 2. I picked one up today and it was a little over 13k yen after taxes. Can't install it yet since I couldn't find an AV Famicom. Well, I found one, that was beat to hell system only and they wanted 13k for it. Buying games and stuff in Tokyo is starting to get depressing.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: NES RGB Kits

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Nice find. 13k -- these have dropped rapidly.
Just in time for me to not have an RGB monitor. :-/
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:18 pm

That shop is actually an official distributor but they give no warranty if the boards are defective. It will still be some time before I can install it though. All the online guides say that the PPU is a little hard to get out with just a soldering iron and braid / sucker. Going to do some research and get some better equipment. I will probably try one of those de-soldering iron solder pump combos first. They are only about 4k yen. I am hoping I will be able to do it with that because proper de-soldering stations are expensive. I also have to find an AV Famicom at a price that isn't stupid, if that is possible. I have a stack of games ready to rock too.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:17 pm

I love March Rabbit; their selection of DIY stuff and made-in-China "Will it work or won't it?" gadgets, adaptors, connectors, and what have you is just so much fun to browse through. It makes me think of how Akiba used to be about six years ago, where there were many more shops selling that kind of gear, and it was a much more interesting place for the hobbyist or the person who likes to tinker. Of course, the old-timers probably remember even further back than that to those glorious days before the fall.

Any idea if these would work in an original NES? I know the original Famicom lacks the PPU, but was the chip changed at all between the NES and the A/V Famicom/NES 2?
You also distaste me with passion!

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:40 pm

http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/
the homepage of the developer.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:01 am

Thanks for that. The March Rabbit site made references to an "etim.net" but that domain was for sale. Was too lazy to Google for any other results, especially since sometimes the makers of the stuff sold in those kinds of shops have zero Web presence.
You also distaste me with passion!

Return to “Japanese Video Games”