[FC][SMD] How to tell if a game is a reproduction?

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

[FC][SMD] How to tell if a game is a reproduction?

Postby layzee » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:08 pm

For example, consider Akumajou Dracula (the original one) for the Nintendo Famicom as shown in the photos below. How would I go about trying to determine if it's the genuine/authentic Japanese release or not? I compared it with a couple of other copies of the game and they look the same to me (e.g. writing, logos, barcodes, etc). The only thing that might be suspicious to me is that the condition of the box looks a bit too good and shiny for a 25+ year old game. Then again, it might just happen to be kept in good condition.

ImageImageImage

I also have similar issues with Rockman Mega World for the Sega Mega Drive. There are some obvious reproductions (e.g. bad front cart label, no logos, etc) but I've also seen some that appear to be genuine Japanese copies but the seller him/herself states that it is an "overseas" produced (外国産) copy (read: outside Japan).
プロジェクトさいさいへい -まるごと埼玉最終兵器- All About S.S.H.
~Project SaiSaiHei - The Saitama Saisyu Heiki Fan Site~

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: [FC][SMD] How to tell if a game is a reproduction?

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Good thread idea... for what it's worth, I have no idea.
It is most likely going to depend on how well documented a given proto is. The Sapphire protos are pretty hard to spot, no?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:58 am

Welp, I took the plunge and bought both of the games in question. I didn't have time to do proper research so fingers crossed I guess.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Guess this brings you back to the question of if it really matters if nobody can tell. People in Thailand have been faced with this question for decades.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:11 am

Fair point GP. If the reproduction looks, feels and smells the same as the original copy, then is it not, for all intents and purposes, the "real" thing? If only opening up an FC/SMD game cart was as easy as confirming the reproductive organs on a ladyboy's crotch!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:39 am

Yeah, but at some point, it's just too late to do anything about it. ;)

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:24 pm

You can generally tell in real life, as it's virtually impossible to print the copy of an image without some artefacts/loss of quality. From photos it can be hard to spot the difference though.

In Neo Geo circles at least it's now common practice to show the cart's PCB.

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:53 am

They're finally part of my collection:

ImageImage

Photos aren't crystal clear but what do you think? I'm not 100% on Akumajou Dracula or Rockman World (there's been an increasing amount of "brand new overseas production Japan language carts" for the latter on YJ) but I don't really have any proof. The print quality on the box and instruction manual looks pretty good to me, then again, there does exist high quality instruction manual reproductions. As for Panzer Dragoon Mini, I have no reason to believe anything is wrong with it (never even heard of bootleg Game Gear carts).

In any case, until something comes up, I'll just assume these are the real deal.

In regards to PCB, I have no problems opening up Super Famicom carts for example to check authenticity but I don't have the tools nor skills for the carts shown in the above photos. I believe Famicom carts are notoriously tricky to open without risking damage.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:45 pm

Wow, I never knew bootlegs were much of a problem, except for maybe with arcade boards and some of the most sought after CD games (like Sapphire)? Rockman has a carved out Capcom logo on the actual cartridge... I don't understand why or how bootleggers could go to such lengths for that game or any other Capcom MD game? But sure, I guess you could make decent profit by conning a couple of collectors like that!

I sold my Rockman copy many years ago, so I couldn't compare mine to yours... then again I wouldn't know for sure if mine was a reprodction or not! :)

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:08 pm

zinger wrote:Rockman has a carved out Capcom logo on the actual cartridge... I don't understand why or how bootleggers could go to such lengths for that game or any other Capcom MD game? But sure, I guess you could make decent profit by conning a couple of collectors like that!

I just checked mine and I can confirm it has the Capcom logo on the back so it's the real thing... maybe.

On the bright side, the Y!J sellers who sell the Rockman Mega World reproductions are transparent about it (and the ending prices reflect that fact) so I'm cool with that. Comparing the cheaper reproduction photos and the more expensive genuine ones, I still can't tell the difference.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Yeah I saw the Capcom logo on your photo, I can't actually remember if my cart had that; I pointed out that specific detail because I imagined it would be difficult thing for bootleggers to reproduce, but who knows, maybe it's not much of a hassle if you have 3D printer and the right materials? On second thought, I wouldn't know myself, at all.

xorthen
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby xorthen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:19 am

I have no idea to tell about Famicom reproductions. I don't think your copy of Akumajo is a repro though. If it is, that's a very high quality repro. As far as I am aware, I have never seen a Konami famicom cart repro. The style they used was somewhat unique, as the carts seem to have that hole in the top left corner and the stickers were always very good quality.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”