Jet Set Radio series

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Jet Set Radio series

Postby schadenfreude » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:54 am

I recently replayed the Jet Set Radio games because I wanted to feel like I was skating around virtual cel-shaded Tokyo. I got JET ratings on all the levels and unlocked some hidden characters, but I'm not going to unlock all of them or get all the trinkets. I wish the game were longer and harder — what a common complaint in the bedroom, for games or otherwise! — but it's so unique that I still play it once every few years to show my Dreamcast how much I love it.

As for Future: I don't remember it being this bad, but the last time I played it I was a casual high school gamer who mostly played JRPGs and CRPGs. Yeah, the engine improvements are terrific and I think the soundtrack is better, but what happened to the challenge? I loved being chased by increasingly powerful forms of law enforcement while playing the graffiti minigame in the original — and doing all this against a time limit. It felt like GTAIII meets Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, whereas the sequel feels like THPS on freeplay, with no time limit and no enemies when you're dropping your tags. And then when the authorities show up, you're plopped into a "battle arena" where you run into a bunch of dudes and spray them, ad infinitum.

I know there are some different bosses later on, but my patience is running thin. I can only play the game for maybe 30 minutes at a time before I become unspeakably bored and quit, usually without saving my game! I'll just keep whacking off to pictures of the pretty cel shading and listening to the soundtrack while working because I don't want to mar my memories of the game's quality.

Has anyone ever tried Ollie King? If MAME emulation is good, I might try it out there, but man it would be cool to try it out with the original arcade setup.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: Jet Set Radio series

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Ironically, I fired this up (on my PS3 though) recently. Never gets old. I just randomly played a stage but I'll likely give it the full run through. As for Future: yes, the soundtrack is better, and honestly I think the atmosphere variations are pretty cool. The worlds sometimes are quite huge, but I think that is where the challenge lies. Ideally you'd fly through the (large) stages without getting stuck everywhere. I never really got to that level, and not sure if anyone did. One of those games where I see a high level run looking pretty amazing, but most people's runs (especially going after all the stuff) could get long winded.

I need to get an Xbox... I still have the games.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 am

I don't know, I was totally blown away by the first game, had a lot of fun with it, and I do consider it one of the must-plays of that era, but I also felt that the concept did get old pretty quick. Despite how awesome it was at first, I got tired of the first game before even finishing it. I think it's mainly the concept of closed off arenas that put me off in the long run; although it was a joy to explore the city and the game's mechanics for the first couple of hours, I remember thinking it got repetative after that. I did try Future maybe twice, but it's obviously very similar to the first game? I wouldn't want to grow completely sick of the series by playing Future, and risk spoiling the wonderful memories I have of the original, even though people say Future's stage designs get pretty crazy later on!

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:05 pm

I loved the first Jet Set Radio bitd but hated the Sequel as it felt watered down in it's mechanics. Haven't played it in the last 15 years though so i rather keep my fond memories than have another go at it.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:37 pm

In what way did you feel it was watered down CTN? I'm not questioning this statement, but curious to know more!

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:16 pm

Iirc the tagging was reduced to a mere buttonpress from the more complex execution in the original (which I really loved back then). And overall the sense of urgency was somehow lost. The same thing that happend between Crazy Taxi and High Roller.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Ok yeah I remember I was happy at first when I saw the game had been simplified in that respect, because I didn't enjoy executing those maneuvers myself, but I definitely agree that they added a certain stress to the action that made it more enjoyable overall. So yeah, you've probably got a point there!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:44 pm

There was no "thought" element to the tagging, but this resulted in a much faster paced action game. To do the stages well, you needed to fly past the tag areas and hit them just right. I won't say one was better than the other but I do love Future... the art direction alone I find superior. If they had kept the stages smaller it would have been a far faster paced game, but ironically unless you put a lot of time in to learn the stages (and don't fuck up and fall to the bottom of a stage when you're not supposed to) that doesn't happen. Maybe there's some high level play videos out there.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:13 am

Yeah, you could get a lot of kicks by zipping through the levels and hitting all the tags as fast as you can, but there's no sense of urgency because you're never being pursued while you're doing this, nor is there a time limit. I like that Smilebit added huge graffiti that required several sprays to create (this is cooler than the single-spray images you can tag while grinding in the original), but the game might as well be in god mode while you look for tags because there's no resistance and health cans continuously regenerate — and with no time limit, it's basically impossible to die when in this mode.

I wish they had kept the tagging minigame mechanic coupled with the time limit and increasing resistance but with bigger areas, bigger and more interesting graffiti, and more ways to interact with the resistance when the heat turns on. Having two inferior modes — one where you spray tags with infinite health and no enemies and another where you're put into a tiny arena and skate in circles repeatedly to defeat your enemies — wasn't what I was expecting from the sequel. And don't forget about the horrendous padding that happens later in the game, like being asked to revisit old levels to bash into stationary enemies that don't put up a fight and...that death ball race bullshit. :yuck:

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:28 am

Another thing: In the first game, missions shouldn't end the moment you finish spraying your final tag. I'd rather limp my way back to base or the getaway car or some shit. GTA III and Vice City also ended their missions the moment you completed them — for example, you might have a wanted level of 4 stars, but then the moment you drop off the package, the heat miraculously disappears — and I always thought that was bonkers. I haven't played anything newer than Vice City, so I don't know if the series still does this.

Sega should revive the Jet Set Radio franchise and send it in the GTA/Ryū ga Gotoku direction. I'd buy that shit!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:41 am

I think a lot of people would... the question is, would enough?

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:35 pm

Maybe if the marketing is good enough. But I haven't trusted Sega marketing for a long time. They should ask Bandai Namco for marketing tips because those Souls games keep selling like hotcakes.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 15, 2016 8:26 pm

I've lost faith in the lot of them. I have had the hankering to play a game or two from time to time, and I admit, my Dreamcast is high on that list. But go out and buy a game? Not sure if I'll ever purchase a new Sega game again.

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 am

Has anyone beaten the Japanese version — not De La, the original — of Jet Set Radio? I've read several web pages that say the ending credits in the original Japanese version are interactive — i.e., you can skate around and spraypaint the credits yourself — but in this YouTube video of the ending credits, it looks like a non-interactive movie: https://youtu.be/VlHKIhUgJTI?list=PLsD1 ... tMyx&t=900.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:35 am

I beat it several times, but can't quite remember. I'd have to whip out the DC and play through it. I'm sure i have a save on a VMU... somewhere.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”