Akira for MegaDrive

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Akira for MegaDrive

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:37 am

Scheduled and cancelled... Anyone else knew this video existed?
https://www.unseen64.net/2010/03/24/aki ... nreleased/
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: Akira for MegaDrive

Postby zinger » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Yeah someone posted it on Facebook a while back. Really grateful to able to see a video of it, though it certainly looks pretty dodgy in that state. The 3D effects are cool though, and it's really impressive how much content (graphics and different game modes) they seem to have been planning to include for just one single game.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:54 am

Agreed... wonder what the story behind that on is. You could do some fun with with the concepts in the film. I admit, it would be caching in, and as it stands, it needs no follow up (and I hope it doesn't get one) but could still be fun.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Found some more info here:

http://segaretro.org/Akira

Akira is an unreleased Sega Mega Drive and Sega Mega-CD video game based on the 1988 film of the same name, once set to be published by THQ.

Akira is one of the more notable video game absentees of the early 1990s, as when THQ acquired the license, it sought to publish numerous versions for a wide variety of consoles, all of which were cancelled (an Amiga (and Amiga CD32) version was released by a different publisher in 1995, and the Japanese Famicom received a tie-in back in 1988). Though a cross-platform strategy was put in place during the early days, the Game Gear version became an entirely different project, as did a Super NES version. A Game Boy game was announced but is thought to have been scrapped very quickly, leaving this version for the Sega Mega Drive and an assumed port to the Sega Mega-CD.

Akira on the Mega Drive combined numerous different video game genres, from 2D platforming, beat-'em-up segments, Road Rash-style motorcycle battles, isometric shooting and even stages played from a first person perspective, as well as containing numerous cutscenes inspired by film on LaserDisc. The Mega Drive version saw the most coverage by the gaming press, having been demonstrated in a noticably unfinished form at Summer CES 1994. It is not thought the Mega-CD version was ever shown, however numerous publications of the era confused the Mega Drive and Mega-CD versions, possibly suggesting journalists had been briefed the two were very similar.

Most Akira projects were hampered by internal problems at THQ, including disagreements in project management (and in some cases, a lack of understanding of target video game platforms), resignationations of key developers and a higher priority given to other titles. The differing projects were not closely co-ordinated, and were handled by separate teams under the management of THQ.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:01 pm

Anybody remember the terrible Akira game for Amiga?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6qxc1yIsbU

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:16 am

That Amiga game looks horrible. :)

Interesting read there about THQ. Sounds like the bit off way more than they could chew.

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:That Amiga game looks horrible. :)

Interesting read there about THQ. Sounds like the bit off way more than they could chew.

It's the THQ-story in a nutshell.

What about the Famicom Akira btw, was this any good or is it terrible, too?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:28 pm

never played it but it looked pretty lame.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:09 am

Famicom Akira is a Visual Novel and I believe it even got an English fan translation. However, what I don't understand is, why would you play a visual novel with crappy visuals when you could just read the awesomely drawn manga?

As it is, I think Akira Psycho Ball is the only good (and legit good) Akira game out there. (As well as stage 1 of Last Resort, of course! ;) )

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:52 am

Someone got a hold of a bunch of prototypes, including THQ's Game Boy version of Akira:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YoD2OVkAVY

Kind of lost interest in these games once I realized they weren't developed by a Japanese company, though.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:45 am

The music... :cry:

Return to “Japanese Video Games”