[PS1/PS2] Backing up memory card save files to PC then back to memory card?

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

[PS1/PS2] Backing up memory card save files to PC then back to memory card?

Postby layzee » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:27 am

I did a bit of research but I'm still unclear whether this is possible or not and if it is, the method to do so.

What I want to do is pretty simple: I would like to upload the contents of PS1/PS2 memory cards to the PC as well as download them back to the memory cards again. The second part (PC-to-MC) is a pretty important requirement. Otherwise what's the point of backing up the memory card (apart from emulation)? Optimum scenario would be if I could also somehow view the contents of the memory cards on the PC and do other basic memory card file management (delete, copy, etc).

I am aware of Sony's official PS2 memory card to PS3 adaptor (which I don't own yet, anyone got one they can sell to me?). To the best of my knowledge, what it does is it creates an image of the PS2 (and PS1?) memory card onto the PS3 hard drive and if the PS3 is backwards compatible with PS2 games, then you effectively have a PS2 memory card, except digital. However, I am unsure if the save files from the digital PS2 memory card can be transferred back to the memory card it came from. I assume the PS2 memory card "MagicGate" security feature may have some influence on whether this is possible or not. I have a third-party PS2-to-PS3 adaptor but it explicitly states that transferring save files from PS3 to PS2 is not possible, so it's not looking good. I am also unsure if the PS2 memory card save files can be transferred to a standard USB memory stick (the same way you can backup PS3 save files) and then transferred to PC.

Lastly, I also wonder about "protected" save files. For example, it is not possible to copy the save file of the Japanese version of "Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter" to any other memory card. The PAL and USA version save files have no such limitation.
プロジェクトさいさいへい -まるごと埼玉最終兵器- All About S.S.H.
~Project SaiSaiHei - The Saitama Saisyu Heiki Fan Site~

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: [PS1/PS2] Backing up memory card save files to PC then back to memory card?

Postby sven666 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:20 am

pretty sure there was a special memroycard device (action replay?) for ps1 that allowed trasnfers to and from computers.. i also know there were sometimes discs along with magazines where you could download saves for games onto the memorycard..

..this is all from 20 years ago.. not sure how this would all work today but im sure theres a solution out there.

(ps im getting fuckin ooold)
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:27 pm

sven666 wrote:(ps im getting fuckin ooold)

we all are... tried to explain the glory days to the new gf. the bidding wars... pcb whoring... cave matsuri... you can imagine the looks i got.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:12 am

I know there are PS-memory-card-to-USB adapters out there, unfortunately I can't remember their name. I guess I'm getting old too...

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:22 am

Are you talking about the Dex Drive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DexDrive? Mind you this was before USB and only works with the PS1 memory cards.

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:57 pm

sven666 wrote:i also know there were sometimes discs along with magazines where you could download saves for games onto the memorycard..

Ah yes, I have a few of those. There are the PlayStation catalogue books with save data discs (PS1, PS2 and PSP) as well as Square's "Memory Card Data Collection" with a disc devoted to save files for Square games.

So evidently, there is some sort of mechanism to transfer files to memory cards.

sven666 wrote:(ps im getting fuckin ooold)

Aren't we all. I'm not necessarily feeling old but birthdays are something I would like to not be reminded of.

Gaijin Punch wrote:the new gf.

Oh? What's the story here?

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:53 am

More research:

At launch, the device did not support transferring saved game files back to a memory card, but upon the release of the PlayStation 3 system software version 1.80, the user is now able to transfer PS1 and PS2 game saves from the PS3 directly onto a physical Memory Card via the adaptor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStati ... rd_adapter

No source for that information linked in the Wikipedia article but a few searches can confirm it:

PS3 Update features (ver 1.80)
http://mt.playstation.com/help/system-s ... 1.80-.html

Can you use a PS3 to copy PS1/PS2 game save data from a memory card (or to the memory card)?
https://support.jp.playstation.com/app/ ... _id/272/~/

So in short - Yes, PS1/PS2 save data can be copied from the PS1/PS2 memory card to the PS3, and copied back to the memory card from the PS3. At least v1.80 (from 2007) PS3 software required.

That leaves only one more question: Can PS1/PS2 save files be copied to a USB memory stick from the PS3, and finally to a PC (for backup purposes). And back again from PC to memory card.

In addition,

Using Memory Card Save Data
http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... edata.html

セーブデータによっては、コピーを禁止されているものがあります。そのようなデータをPS3™で使うときは、手順4で[ムーブ]を選んでください。セーブデータが本体ストレージに移動し、メモリーカードからは削除されます。

Depending on the save data, there some that cannot be copied. For these, select option 4 "Move". The save data will be transferred to the PS3 hard drive and deleted from the memory card.

Vice versa if going from PS3 to memory card (deleted from HDD, moved to MC).

So that answers my query about certain games (e.g. Breath of Fire V) with uncopyable save data. Which brings up a somewhat interesting scenario. Normally, once you save your BoFV game (or any other game with copy-protected save files) to a memory card, that's it - that save file is now attached to that particular memory card. Even if you swap the memory card right before you save your game again, the game/system won't let you. Obviously so that you can't abuse the game mechanics. With a PS3 and PS3 memory card adapter, theoretically you should be able to move the save data to a different memory card which is something that is not possible with only a PS2. Not that it's of much use game wise. But it can be useful for example, if you think your old memory card is dying so you want to move your hundred hour save file to a fresh brand new/sealed memory card.

Oh and in case you're wondering why I'm going through all this trouble, it's because I consider my save files to be more valuable than the games themselves.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:53 pm

Oh? What's the story here?

Not sure yet... will let you know. I'm not one to air out my laundry on the internet... last gf did that and it was highly embarrassing. Not like anyone from high school will wind up here, but you never know.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:58 pm

layzee wrote:I have a third-party PS2-to-PS3 adaptor but it explicitly states that transferring save files from PS3 to PS2 is not possible

Well, I decided to try it out and interestingly enough, it is possible. I assume it was made before the PS3 firmware update. FYI, it is a "Mayflash" brand one. Regardless, I have just bought myself an official Sony-branded PS3 memory card adapter (I believe in paying $$$ for official-ness). For information purposes, will let y'all know if there is any tangible difference (waiting for delivery right now).

So it's pretty good, use the PS3's memory card utility/file manager to copy PS1/PS2 game saves to and from PS3/PS2 memory card. It's better than the PS2 console's native file manager: you can copy the entire contents of a memory card. But unlike the memory card utility for PS3 game saves, you can't select groups. It's copy one or copy all.

There is also one annoying quirk: if you have, say, 16 PS1 one-block game saves on a PS2 memory card, it creates and copies to two digital PS1 memory cards (15 saves in one, 1 in the other). A choice would be nice.

Also, I can't copy PS1/PS2 game saves to a standard USB memory stick via the memory card utility. But apparently I can via the system backup utility. But I can't test that out because my PS3 doesn't seem to be detecting my memory stick at the moment. Will require further testing.

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:04 pm

Just a quick note to say that I have received and tested the official Sony-branded PS3 memory card adapter (or adaptor, I can never decide whether to use the "e" or "o" version) and it seems identical to the third party ones in regards to functionality. Surprisingly, people are paying big bucks for this simple device.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”