Are we old yet? Or: Do you still collect?

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Are we old yet? Or: Do you still collect?

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:42 am

I just did my annual Fall trip to Japan. As I had some first timers to Japan in tow, I thought it necessary to hit Akihabara. I was pretty prepared for the most part. I know the retro (32-bit and before) was pretty ridiculous price wise. I only went to Super Potato, which I know isn't a great gauge. While they had a decent selection, prices were just about as bad as I had heard. PC-Engine seemed to be slightly more tolerable, but still painful. I recall a massive spike then a huge lull for like 5 years in 16-bit and 32-bit games. Now... wow...

Having basically re-instated what everyone probably already knows, is anyone actively collecting? I'd have a hard time paying the prices most of these games demand, regardless of the exchange rate. Photography has taken way more of what little free time I have. And unfortunately as I like older gear, it can be similar in terms of supply and demand. I'm pretty good at buying only stuff I will use, and selling it when I'm done with it though. In fact, while I spent quite a bit on books this time, I bought no camera gear.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: Are we old yet? Or: Do you still collect?

Postby CTN » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:36 am

I don't know if you can call it actively collecting, but I still like to treat me from time to time with the odd game from the cheapskate bin or stuff I can rationalize as still reasonably prized and something I want for a long time like a Waku Waku 7 Box for Saturn for 2,200¥ (don't know if it's actually cheap or if the condition is really that good also considering all the fees coming with Buyee it certainly wasn't that great a deal but still below retail which for me is the golden rule when it comes to 2nd hand items)

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:46 pm

Am I old yet? I would lean more towards old than young but I guess it's relative.

I don't collect as much now simply because I got most of what I needed/wanted during the past decade back when my exchange was better (relative to the USD and JPY which is mostly what I deal with) and back when prices were simply lower. Now however, for the most part, anything pre 32-bit has indeed jumped in price. Even something that used to be a dime a dozen like Japanese PS2 consoles now can't be had for less than $100 USD (not including shipping).

Bargains are much less common nowadays, whether on eBay or Yahoo!Japan. Should there actually be a bargain, then it will be quickly snatched up (via Buy-It-Nows). Bundles also aren't the bargain they used to be. The final price ends up being close to what it would be if the items were sold separately anyway. Nor are there any deals in Japanese game stores itself due to the combination of Japanese sellers selling worldwide at an increasing rate and tourists heading into Japan at an increasing rate. The best I can hope for these days are slightly-below-market-price items.

Also, while we're on this subject, last year, I had the opportunity to grab this Akumajou Dracula bundle, bought and shipped directly to my country, without paying any intermediary fees. However, I chickened out at the last minute. What do you think? If you are you an Akumajou Dracula fan, would you have bought it?

Photography to you is GP is what guitar is to me. Unfortunately I picked it up a bit late so I am under no illusion about what I can achieve with it (not much). Also I checked your bubblebath account but it seems to not be active anymore. Gave it up for good huh?
プロジェクトさいさいへい -まるごと埼玉最終兵器- All About S.S.H.
~Project SaiSaiHei - The Saitama Saisyu Heiki Fan Site~

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:55 pm

That bundle appears to be a bit expensive to me. I rate the Playstation titles at maybe 7K¥ and Dracula X at maybe 12k¥ which leaves a lot of money left for the other games / books. And I don't really see that money - or maybe I'm completely off.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:57 pm

The bundle is actually pretty reasonable, I'm afraid. :cry:

Vampire Killer - $450
Akumajo Dracula SFC - $80
Akumajo Dracula XX - $200
Dracula Densetsu - $40
Akumajo Densetsu - $100
Akumajo Dracula FC - $150
Akumajo Dracula PS2 - $80
Chronicles - $80
Akumajo Dracula X - $150
SotN - $80
Books - $100

= $1410 vs. $1050 for the bundle

Of course there will also be some hefty proxy fees and possibly import taxes (dear god...), but I also think my estimates for the games are also on the cheap side, believe it or not.
___

So, yeah, regarding the thread's topic:

I'm still into collecting games, but not as much as I used to be. Mainly for the reason already stated: Prices have just gotten stupid for some of this stuff, and there's no longer an advantage in buying in/from Japan.
Most recent example of craziness: http://page21.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... j404930594

Luckily I've already picked up most of the stuff I want for 16 and 32 Bit consoles years ago, including most of the big-shot premium titles. There's still a couple of games I'm missing, but nothing I can't live without. Turtles in Time and Super Tempo might tempt me at some point, but whatever.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I started buying a lot of Famicom shortly before the big price spike, but now I've pretty much given up on getting everything I want for the system. Just happy I managed to get some of them while the going was good.

It just doesn't make any sense to spend that much on old games. And prices will fall again eventually. It's not a question if, just a question when.

What's interesting though, is that it's really only a handful of games that have gone totally out of control. Stuff like Harmful Park or Eliminate Down has gone through the roof, but I just picked up Parasite Eve and Bonanza Bros for 3 bucks each. ;)

So mainly I've shifted focus to other systems Wii, Xbox, GameCube, PS2, DS, PSP — you can still get a lot of good deals for those!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:44 am

http://page21.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j404930594

Ass sphincter says what? Damn... guess I'm glad I got out when I did. I have only a few games here, and no way to play them other than the DC games. None of them are premium, but honestly I could play JSR, JSRF, and Gussun Paradise for quite some time. There's a decent chance I play through Shenmue & Shenmue 2 again. Maybe something to do this winter. I finally got a way to hook up my Wii to my TV, and never played Super Mario Galaxy (although I got all stars in SMG2). So, that's the extent of it for me.

Now, back to cameras... I can't say I collect. If I won't use it, I won't keep it. I bought a Polaroid back and a Mamiya Universal Press (yep, looks like something out of 50's movies). The poloaroids it prints are amazing, but Fujifilm discontinued the peel apart film, so that fucker is going to Ebay soon. As well as at least one of my Medium Format cameras... maybe both. Just don't use them. For the record, the camera crowd is just as notorious as the games crowed. GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is a real thing, and everyone apparently has it... it's hard to fight, I admit, but I do a good job.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

emphatic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby emphatic » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:02 pm

I have pretty much stopped buying games and use most of my spending money on vinyl records. It's incredibly satisfying.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:29 am

I still buy games, but very few, and only new releases. I sell off most after I finish them. All the old stuff, I either no longer care or already played it and sold it off long ago. One exception: I still have all my Cave games on my X360, but I play them only a few times a year now, for the occasional nostalgia.

I am going to buy a PS4 slim this month in order to play several games, but mostly the Yu-No remake by Makoto Asada et al, coming out in November.

Most of my spare cash goes into guitars now. I have four Fender Jazzmasters and Jaguars, and I love them more than any game. Other than playing guitar I also enjoy fixing, wiring, and setting up guitars. It is very rewarding. I also spend a lot of money and time on books these days.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:34 am

I do but only kinda sorta. When I decided to go back to the classics, I made the decision to only keep games that I never tire of no matter how many times I clear them. If I buy a game I have never played before and I either don't like it or don't see myself wanting to play it again, I get rid of it. No more keeping games for the sake of keeping them. I also decided to limit myself to Famicom, Mega Drive, Master System, PC Engine, MVS, and PCBs. That sounds like a lot, but so far across all those platforms I have a little over 80 games total. When all is said and done and my hit list is complete, I will probably only have about 150 games or so.

That being said, for me, this is without question the most snore inducing console generation ever. Right now, the only current games I want to play are Bayonetta 2 and Dark Souls 3. Console war? This generation isn't even a console slap fight. To be sure all of the initial XBONE always online jackassery was good for a chuckle, but now?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:23 am

EOJ wrote:I still buy games, but very few, and only new releases. I sell off most after I finish them. All the old stuff, I either no longer care or already played it and sold it off long ago. One exception: I still have all my Cave games on my X360, but I play them only a few times a year now, for the occasional nostalgia.

I played a credit of Ketsui and a credit of ESPGaluda at Hey. I had tourists in tow, and getting to stage 3 of Ketsui they thought was amazing. Not bad considering I had not played in like... 5 years? A while, either way. Amazing how those games are a part of you, but leave easier than they come.

I am going to buy a PS4 slim this month in order to play several games, but mostly the Yu-No remake by Makoto Asada et al, coming out in November.

Japanese model? I think I will eventually get one when something good comes out. Only takes a couple of games for me. Just not been keeping up... at all. I thought I was going to go for a masters degree but I'm realizing at my age, it's probably better to get involved in some other projects to expand my skill set. That should give me some time... but then again, maybe I should spend it on those projects. :D

I also spend a lot of money and time on books these days.

Photography books... many I want that are $300... a few around $500... :(

emphatic wrote:I have pretty much stopped buying games and use most of my spending money on vinyl records. It's incredibly satisfying.

I do a decent amount of that too. The thing I hate about vinyl collecting now is that I have to research every re-release since some are notoriously horrible quality.

That being said, for me, this is without question the most snore inducing console generation ever.

Yeah, I feel like I'm missing nothing. All for the better though, I guess. Any of the IPs I like would probably have microtransactions in them anyway.

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:28 am

CIT Seven Force wrote:The bundle is actually pretty reasonable, I'm afraid. :cry:

Vampire Killer - $450
Akumajo Dracula SFC - $80
Akumajo Dracula XX - $200
Dracula Densetsu - $40
Akumajo Densetsu - $100
Akumajo Dracula FC - $150
Akumajo Dracula PS2 - $80
Chronicles - $80
Akumajo Dracula X - $150
SotN - $80
Books - $100

= $1410 vs. $1050 for the bundle

Of course there will also be some hefty proxy fees and possibly import taxes (dear god...), but I also think my estimates for the games are also on the cheap side, believe it or not.

Yep, the Mega Drive game is no doubt the priciest one. Overall, the figures look about right though I'd put SotN cheaper than Chronicles. So I guess it's not a mind blowing bundle but probably better than buying them separately (don't forget separate shipping fees for each and every item as well as time spent searching).

Speaking of Mega Drive, I regret not grabbing a complete in box Bare Knuckle 2 for 800 yen some years ago. My logic: I'll wait for a cheaper one. That was pretty stupid of me.

I don't see it mentioned yet but anyone here into game soundtracks? Another regret: early this year or last year on eBay, the Akumajou Dracula - Ubawareta Kokuin game (which is reasonably expensive by DS game standards) and its soundtrack (which I understand even more so) went for $80 USD or so. I was the second highest bidder and I should have bid a bit more. Another regret: a couple of years ago, all 3 DS Akumajou Dracula games for $20 USD each. I forgot to re-bid (a way too common occurrence) so the lucky guy grabbed 2 of them for $20.50 each (skipped the first game).

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Actually this year I turned to soundtracks as they are the only things arcade related that are still somehow affordable. Only 2 short months when they arrive :roll:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:51 pm

Speaking of Mega Drive, I regret not grabbing a complete in box Bare Knuckle 2 for 800 yen some years ago. My logic: I'll wait for a cheaper one. That was pretty stupid of me.

At 800 yen, perhaps, but honestly games are like any other collectible. The floor could easily bottom out at some points. I assume if the market tanks again a la 2008, then some people might sell some for cash. I spent a lot on a lot of games (specifically PC-Engine) in 2000 when I was really getting my side business going, and they were half price a year or so later. Saturn games held decently, but not fantastic.

Who knows though. Shou brought up some good points when I was chatting with him not long ago. Mainly, not many packaged games released today. Not many good games released today. Basically means nothing new to collect so have to focus on old.

One other theory I would throw out is that millenials actually have expendable income now - many have a lot of income. It's also trendy to embrace the analogue days, so I propose it's not just generation-X that's buying all this shit.

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:45 pm

But considering that about 90% of all the old console games are basically unplayable now (because they where never that good to begin with, got superseded by way better games, have some quirks that nobody will tolerate anymore) it still baffles me that even below average games in below average condition have reached prices that makes me question the sanity of my fellow man.
If the millennial demographic would be the cause of the current rise then why didn't we see that hike in N64 prices or comparable systems who could generate "nostalgia"? Neither the Saturn nor the PC Engine can generate that form of nostalgia as these systems where basically nonexistent for most millennials so it must be something completely different.

Gaijin Punch wrote:Who knows though. Shou brought up some good points when I was chatting with him not long ago. Mainly, not many packaged games released today. Not many good games released today. Basically means nothing new to collect so have to focus on old.

Have you looked at amazon? Basically every game now has it's own limited / collectors / etc. edition. Also I think the average quality of games is now better than ever just think about all the clunkers of the 8 to 32-bit era.

The other question that arises are the current TVs that make all those old systems look terrible without some specialized upscaling hardware which makes me wonder what most of these people do with their new old expensive games. Just thinking about playing Super Famicom / Nintendo through the Antenna on a HD display makes me :yuck:

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:34 am

The fact that an article in Sports Illustrated refered to me as a "scholar of Japanese soccer"and not as a "scholar of Japanese videogames" probably says everything about what I've been doing since I started selling everything I had left four years ago. I also spend a lot of time studying the history of girls' and women's education in Japan, which is a natural progression from Sexy Parodius I'm sure you'll agree.

I essentially went back to where I was before I came to Japan, so now the only games I have are those I bought for the Spectrum or PC in the 1980s and 90s. I was able to essentially swap a lot of junk I didn't want for Spectrum games I did want (to replace lost and broken games) so now I have pretty much everything I want. The only game I have that I bought in Japan is Konami's Ping Pong. I have a few PCBs and parts I want to sell, but I'm waiting on MAK to fix them up (nearly three years now). Spectrum games are not expensive, most of the ones I wanted were one or two pounds sterling.

I have managed recently to make adaptors to get RGB output from my 128K Spectrums for my X68000 monitors, have a look at my webpage in the signature if you're interested. The quality is the best I've ever seen from a Spectrum, and the parts cost almost nothing.

Once I started getting the likes of 249,000 yen for Ninja Warriors there was no stopping. I put up a Space Harrier with a 'buy-it-now' price of 200,000 yen and it was gone in 35 minutes. In fact, I made quite a lot of money selling things on Yahoo Auctions which I had myself bought on Yahoo Auctions (bought Double Dragon for 4,100; sold for 30,610...)

So, in summary, I am now too old for collecting games.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:14 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I played a credit of Ketsui and a credit of ESPGaluda at Hey. I had tourists in tow, and getting to stage 3 of Ketsui they thought was amazing. Not bad considering I had not played in like... 5 years? A while, either way. Amazing how those games are a part of you, but leave easier than they come.

I played a credit for the first time in a few years yesterday. Game over at the Stage 2 boss. :conf: I was never good at the game anyway. I still like playing Saidaioujou, DDPDFK BL, MMP, and Mushi Futari 1.5 and can 1CC them all.

Japanese model? I think I will eventually get one when something good comes out. Only takes a couple of games for me. Just not been keeping up... at all.

Probably just going to get a local PS4. I don't see any advantage to a JP model when they are region free.

There are a few beloved games from my youth I've been thinking of buying (boxed/complete) just for nostalgia. Secret of Mana SNES, Lunar Sega CD, and a few others.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:53 pm

I still hoard games :)

not to the extent i used to ofcourse but i still get enjoyment out of it, hell i'll even play a game once in a while :o

videogames have always been a part of my life so i doubt ill ever give up on them, other hobbies come and go.. I havent ridden a motorbike in 4 years and i have absolutley zero interest in cars these days for instance.
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:42 am

emphatic wrote:I have pretty much stopped buying games and use most of my spending money on vinyl records. It's incredibly satisfying.

Pretty much this. Credit-feeding through grad school along with learning about raising a 1 year-old leaves me with little time for games anymore, and music is something I can consume in a much more flexible way. Not that graduate fellowships pay enough to support a serious vinyl habit anyway.

I feel like I've been drifting away from the "collecting" mentality for years now. I don't have space to store or display a serious collection, and there came a point where saying I had X game or Y system led me to ask, "and so what?" It wasn't really a thing that brought joy anymore. After moving back from an organized, tiny apartment in Japan and getting reacquainted with the huge stack of boxes we'd left behind with relatives, we really wanted to try and minimize the amount of extra junk we're dragging along with us. A videogame collection just has no place in a minimal household, much less one with a toddler.

I still play games sometimes, when I can, but it's not a lifestyle/identity thing like it once was. I've pared all my retro games down to a skeleton crew of the ones I truly enjoy returning to, and a handful of longer titles I still intend to get to one day. My most recent console is a 360; I don't have the money to keep up with the latest console generations (or to upgrade to an equivalent gaming PC) and don't have much interest in the current generations at all. I'm considering selling my NES and most of my library and just getting that cute little NES Classic plug-and-play instead, if for no other reason than that it won't look like shit on my LCD TV. Most of my gaming is done on PC these days because of convenience,with Steam/GOG title making up most of my library. And holy crap, there enough amazing gems from years past that I probably don't really need to buy any games ever again.

I'm really looking forward to when the little one gets a few years older and I can start sitting down with her and going though some of the game I grew up with, though. Assuming she's interested, that really sounds a lot more fun to me now than trying to put together a well-curated Dreamcast or PC-Engine library does. I could excuse it as being "old" (which is pretty relative), but instead I think it's just as others have mentioned--life has moved on, goals have changed, and there's less of a place for that particular hobby in the new configuration of things.
You also distaste me with passion!

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:42 pm

If someone offered you an at market price offer for your entire game collection would you accept it? A price that is both reasonable and fair to you the seller as well as the buyer. The condition (or "condition") is that everything has to go. What do you value more? The freed up space and/or lump sum payment? Or the financial and/or sentimental value of your stuff?

I would lean towards the latter and I justify it as thus:
1) First and foremost, I don't overly need the cash knock-on-wood (e.g. outstanding bills, etc) so I have the luxury of having a choice not to sell.
2) It took quite a lot of time to gather all this stuff (actively buying for about a decade).
3) By today's market standards, some/many of my stuff were bought below market value so if I wanted to rebuild the collection, it will require more money than before.
4) Naturally, the retro items are rarer these days (due to lower supply and/or higher demand) so if I wanted to rebuild the collection, it will take more time than before to find.
5) I've done a minor/fair amount of multiple copy-buying and I always mix-and-match and keep the better condition materials (e.g. one cart has a tiny bit of yellowing, the other cart of the same game is spotless. Therefore, I keep the latter for my own collection).

Having said that, I'm sure my stuff isn't as valuable as y'alls.

Gaijin Punch wrote:[At 800 yen, perhaps, but honestly games are like any other collectible. The floor could easily bottom out at some points. I assume if the market tanks again a la 2008, then some people might sell some for cash.

I think the real estate/housing market would be a good parallel. I say, if you want to know where the game market is going, then look at the housing market. If you subscribe to the "housing bubble" school of thought, then it's only a matter of time for used game prices (which could be argued to be having a bubble in itself) to go the same way. But yeah, who knows what will happen.

Gaijin Punch wrote:It's also trendy to embrace the analogue days, so I propose it's not just generation-X that's buying all this shit.

Such as the "Vinyl Revival" perhaps? I follow game music and some have been released in that format.

CTN wrote:
Actually this year I turned to soundtracks as they are the only things arcade related that are still somehow affordable. Only 2 short months when they arrive :roll:

Word is that some game music soundtracks that used to be pricey (several hundred dollars) in the past are comparatively cheaper these days due to for example, reprints and digital downloads. So there is some evidence that just because something is expensive doesn't mean it will stay that way.

Magic Knight wrote:
I also spend a lot of time studying the history of girls' and women's education in Japan, which is a natural progression from Sexy Parodius I'm sure you'll agree.

Sounds like a Parogression? Or a Parodigression?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:28 pm

Such as the "Vinyl Revival" perhaps? I follow game music and some have been released in that format.

Perhaps. However, records never really stopped either. I learned how to DJ on vinyl so have always had some, even though I stopped while in hawaii. I guess the principal of actually holding something and not a CD that anyone can make in their bedroom has value to it. However, Vinyl mastered from CD (or worse) is the new 480i of a 240p game. One has to do research if they are going to "properly" collect vinyl. And some of the pressing just suck huge balls.

Also I think the average quality of games is now better than ever just think about all the clunkers of the 8 to 32-bit era

Considering basically nothing appeals to me now, I will take the 8 to 32-bit era. Of course there was tons of shit, but there was more good stuff than I could keep up with.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:18 pm

I stopped collecting many years ago. Having a limited budget, there's so much else I'd rather invest my money in, rather than just having a collection of expensive stuff on the shelves. I do miss my cabinets and PCBs, maybe I'll try to buy a small arcade library again someday, but definitely not now; I have many other hobbies (reading, music, various outdoor activies) as well as many other goals that I want to pursue at the moment.

I still buy new games every month though, and I have a nice little PVM setup, right next to the fireplace, that gets a lot of action. As soon as I am finished with the majority of the CRT era games I have yet to play, I think I'm going to build a new gaming PC and a 360/PS3 setup. ;)

So yeah, still a gamer, but hardly a collector. Playing the games on original hardware is essential to me though, and I need to have them complete and in good condition, considering the artwork and the instructions are a part of the experience.

As for the prices going up, that is indeed frustrating. However, if there's a really expensive game I want to play, I'm fine with having spent that money in the meantime, for as long as I'm enjoying it, if I'm confident I can get roughly the same amount back when I eventually want to sell it; a couple of months ago I had Blast Wind for something like two weeks, and then (after having completed it and explored all the different routes) sold it for the exact same price.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:41 pm

I bought a lot of vinyl from 1998-2003 or so. Since then I've only bought a few, but I already got most of what I wanted (for pretty cheap) back then. I'm thinking of selling it all some day, a lot of the records are worth 10 times what I paid and I don't listen to them much anymore.

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Considering basically nothing appeals to me now, I will take the 8 to 32-bit era. Of course there was tons of shit, but there was more good stuff than I could keep up with.

I'm currently playing Dragon Quest Builders and loving it. Really feels like the good old days. Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron coming up soon for PS4 as well.

slayer2k8
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby slayer2k8 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Still collecting the DC although almost complete now i've moved on to and past the hibaihin disc's and software onto GD-R's :(
Other than that i tend to watch youtube reviews of old games when i have the spare time but i know i neither have the space or time commitment to find buy and play them myself.

Limbrooke
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Limbrooke » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:03 am

When titles such as Elevator Action Returns on Saturn can cost upwards of $400; I'm too old for that shit.

I didn't get them all when I had the chance but then unless you're a full set collector I don't think anyone really does. Despite that I got most if not 99% of the games I sought about 10 years ago and even if I could justify the prices for what was missed I'd rather not get more plastic to collect dust on a shelf. Plus, the shelves are full enough so pardon some flash cartridges I'm done.

I definitely missed the boat on arcade hardware but maybe down the line I'll reignite that fire, we'll see.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Limbrooke wrote:When titles such as Elevator Action Returns on Saturn can cost upwards of $400; I'm too old for that shit.

Jesus... I thought I had seen it all. Dunno... I'm calling bubble. I don't think a conversion should cost that much.... ever.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”