Replacement SFC Plastic Cartridge Holder Insert?

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Replacement SFC Plastic Cartridge Holder Insert?

Postby JoshF » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:00 pm

I recently got a new sealed copy of Akumajou Dracula for SFC. Surprisingly when I opened the box the plastic cartridge holder was yellowed and shattered in some parts. I've seen cartridge holder inserts (cardboard) for SNES, and I'm wondering if anyone makes a SFC equivalent. If not I guess I'll steal it from a pachislot game or something.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Replacement SFC Plastic Cartridge Holder Insert?

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:33 am

I know what you're talking about, but I just raid some pachinko or soccer game as well. Every once in while somebody will sell a set of cart trays on Yahoo, so you could also keep an eye out there, if you need more than one.

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:08 pm

I thought most/all Japanese Nintendo cart-based games weren't sealed in the first place? So buying a "new & sealed" one is a bit of a gamble. I often see retro games being sold as "new" (新品) on Y!JA and the ending prices are many times more than the perfectly acceptable mint copy. How can one know if a game is truly new and unused? One only has the seller's word, and not the AFAIK non-existent shrinkwrap as proof. What's the difference between a 新品 (new good) and 美品 (mint) Super Famicom game anyway?

In any case, yes, it's probably easier to replace the tray with one from an el cheapo game. On the subject of replacements/mix 'n' matchin', I would also go as far as to replace the front/back of game carts (special screws required) if I think it has too much yellowing or any yellowing at all. The exception would be "Revision ROMs", if you're anal like me - in these cases, I just leave the back as-is, for identification purposes (i.e. the letter imprints on the back label).
プロジェクトさいさいへい -まるごと埼玉最終兵器- All About S.S.H.
~Project SaiSaiHei - The Saitama Saisyu Heiki Fan Site~

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:39 am

I don't recall if SFC games were sealed or not. The wrapping did seem unusual now that you mention it. I figured new would be the best bet for quality. I recently ordered a new SFC game from a retailer's old stock, so I'll see what the plastic situation is when it gets here.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”