[PS4/PC] NieR Automata

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

[PS4/PC] NieR Automata

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Who else is playing this? The first NieR was one of the most interesting games of the last generation in my opinion, and with Taro Yokoo joining forces with Platinum Games for Automata this pretty much turned out to be a match made in heaven. Really enjoying the combat in the game, which was one of the weaknesses of the predecessor. Also love how meta the whole game is.

If you're like "what the hell is NieR??", think a sci-fi mix of Ys, Metal Gear Rising and Dodonpachi.

From an interview with the director:

"I love side-scrolling shooting games! All these middle-aged men come up with these ideas, and the young creators are at a loss as to what to do with it. In order to educate them, I got them to take reference from Cave shooting games. That was my only direction..."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... obile-game

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: [PS4/PC] NieR Automata

Postby zinger » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Will definitely get this when I have a PS4! Good to hear the combat is solid!

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:02 am

I played the demo and thought it was good. I"ll pick it up when it's a bit cheaper. I played the first game on Xbox 360, but didn't finish it. Lost interest halfway through. I should probably finish it one day.

Currently awaiting my limited edition YU-NO for PS4 to arrive from Amiami, so that's what I'll be playing the rest of this month. I'm really looking forward to it.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:35 am

Like all of Yokoo's games both NieR titles really shine during the second and third routes through the game. Basically, everything up to the first ending is just exposition and then he completely changes what the game is about. So you'll be rewarded by sticking through to the true end, I guarantee it. ;)

What's the deal with the YU-NO remake? Anything new it brings to the table? I would probably just play the original release since it's uncensored and because of Ryu Umemoto's amazing FM soundtrack, although I hope the latter is included in the PS4 version?

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:09 pm

The yu-no remake comes with a download code for the original pc-98 version. From what I have read, it has been updated with the remake's better navigation system. It is also censored, of course. Yes, you can choose the original soundtrack, also at least one arranged version. The LE comes with 5 soundtrack disks.

The remake is the same game, just redrawn art and an updated navigation system. Also fully voiced with a new voice cast. I have a lot of faith in Asada's VN's; Instant Brain is my favorite VN and Psycho Pass was really good too.

I'll post a review of the LE and the game after it arrives next week.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”