What happened to Treasure?

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

What happened to Treasure?

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:54 am

I was just talking with a friend about an upcoming vinyl release of the Gunstar Heroes soundtrack (beautiful packaging, but at the end of the day it's still a game soundtrack) and we were reflecting on our histories with Treasure's titles, I realized that I had not heard a thing from the company since, well, the Steam release of Ikaruga. A quick look on Wikipedia confirmed a few licensed 3DS titles in 2014, but after that nothing.

So was there ever any sort of announcement about taking a break, or upcoming projects, or are they just slowly dissolving like so many other companies from their era have? I thought there was some talk about Ikaruga on Steam being successful and the company was getting excited to start looking into other ports or even original titles, but that's about the last I heard. Was that it, then?
You also distaste me with passion!

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: What happened to Treasure?

Postby zinger » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:11 am

I've been wondering about this too. I think Iuchi is still working on Ubusuna at M2, but where did everyone else go? Nakagawa? Suganami!? What are they up to now?

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Was Iuchi officially a part of Treasure anymore? I thought he was just freelancing for the Ikaruga PC port but had actually left the company some time before that.

Forgot to mention this, but their last post on Twitter was January 2016, which isn't very encouraging. 2015 was full of announcements and promotional stuff (even just mentioning digital shop sale campaigns) for their various ports, and after that... nothing.

I suppose just deciding to call it quits is more graceful than what Cave is doing, but still.
You also distaste me with passion!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:12 am

Oh how the mighty have fallen. The topic came up in a thread at Shmups not long ago. Nobody seems to know for sure, but making games they are not.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Return to “Japanese Video Games”