Nectaris/Military Madness clones

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Nectaris/Military Madness clones

Postby Bighab » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:22 am

Lately I have been playing Military Madness on the TG-16(Nectaris on the PCE) I was wondering if anyone can recommend any games that are similar to it? I already have Earthlight for the Superfamicom. Any info/opinions would be great :D

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:11 am

Depending on how you define samilar there a lot of games like it around. Doing a list for me would be hard as I've only played a handful of them.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:25 am

Ok some criteria would be: Hex based battlefield Different kinds of troops I dunno its late so suggest soem titles anyways :D

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:15 pm

Any of the Daisenryaku games and vasteel are the first ones to come to mind. Although the battles in Vasteel are suppose to be somewhat action based so I don't know if that would turn you off? I remember a few good ones on the NES but I can't seem to remember there name. If any others come to mind I'll let you know.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:24 am

I almost picked up a Macross: Eternal Lovesong yesterday. This thread got me thinking about it. I hear it's good -- anyone care to elaborate? It should fall under this category, no?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:08 am

Actually Macross ELS more fall under the Langrisser type of games or Stretegy/RPG. Nectaris is more of a pure stretegy. So kind of Yes and no for your answer.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:57 am

Is it good? Worth picking up? Long and drawn out?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:26 pm

Yea it seemed alright to good and that's coming from someone that could careless for Macross. It plays and looks very much like Langrisser. I know you haven't played the series so that comparison isn't going to help much. I think it's fairly long but Bighab could probably say more than I could. If you can get one fairly cheap you might want to pick up as the PCE CD didn't have a lot of good stretegy titles. I know it's cheaper now than what it was a few years ago, even though you can say that for most PCE titles.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:22 pm

Latelly Ive been playing this nice Hex str game, Run dim as Black Soul (Dreamcast). Really nice str with mechas, I esspecially like the music in that game. Didint expect anything at first with it, but I was really surprised to see how simple it was and addictive it became.
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:10 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Is it good? Worth picking up? Long and drawn out?
I love it myself. I paid $50US for it a few years back when I first got a Tg-CD setup. The levels aren't that long. It has some cool music/anime scenes in between levels(which I can't understand :D ) You start out with 2-3 Valkarie fighters. They gain experiance and become more powerful ships. You also get the big carrier SDF-1(I think thats what its called) I know you fight the Zentradi and meltradi(sp?) I am stuck on the very last level right now. Every so often i go back and give it a try. The only negative thing is the battle animation gets repetative after awhile.

Black_Tiger
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Black_Tiger » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:33 am

Iron Storm for U.S. Sega Saturn, if you're a gaijin. Also, aren't Adavance Wars games supposed to be similar?

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:08 am

Black_Tiger wrote:Iron Storm for U.S. Sega Saturn, if you're a gaijin. Also, aren't Adavance Wars games supposed to be similar?
Thanx for the tips but I have both of those :D

Black_Tiger
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Black_Tiger » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:58 am

Well, if you haven't already played it, Neo Nectaris is the greatest.

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

yer in luck...

Postby geelw2 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:28 am

if you've an xbox, kemco is bringing out a daisenryaku game soon! check their site for details- i'm off to bed, as i've been up all night, lol... g.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:03 am

Black_Tiger wrote:Well, if you haven't already played it, Neo Nectaris is the greatest.
Got that one too ;)

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: yer in luck...

Postby Bighab » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:04 am

geelw2 wrote:if you've an xbox, kemco is bringing out a daisenryaku game soon! check their site for details- i'm off to bed, as i've been up all night, lol... g.
Aw c'mon stay up and give me some suggestions :D I'd like to get the GameBoy version of Nectaris. Does anyone know if its a straight port of the PCE game?

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

yikes!

Postby geelw2 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:20 pm

i just got a near final version of the u.s. version of daisenryaku VII, and let's just say that if you're looking for something to keep you busy for a few months...well, this game is for you! over 160 maps, a map editor, multiplayer support... i just started playig last night and man, this game is deeeeeeeep. the crazy thing is it's scheduled to be released as a budget title (between $20 and $30 here), so it's probably the best value for the money this year! g.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:20 am

What about something like Fire Emblem? There not hex based but other than that there pretty good and challenging.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: yikes!

Postby Bighab » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:37 pm

geelw2 wrote:i just got a near final version of the u.s. version of daisenryaku VII, and let's just say that if you're looking for something to keep you busy for a few months...well, this game is for you! over 160 maps, a map editor, multiplayer support... i just started playig last night and man, this game is deeeeeeeep. the crazy thing is it's scheduled to be released as a budget title (between $20 and $30 here), so it's probably the best value for the money this year! g.
I saw that game on a few "coming soon" lists. What kind of units are there? Modern or WW2?

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:39 pm

Azazel wrote:What about something like Fire Emblem? There not hex based but other than that there pretty good and challenging.
I have most o fthe games in the series. I have been trying to finish the US GBA version right now.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:12 am

If you ever get a scanner, I'd love to add the Fire Emblem games to the site. You're the only one I know that have played most of them. Care to do some writing? This is, of course, as long as I get my FTP password back.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:29 am

Bighab wrote:
Azazel wrote:What about something like Fire Emblem? There not hex based but other than that there pretty good and challenging.
I have most o fthe games in the series. I have been trying to finish the US GBA version right now.
I was more asking if you played through very many of them, not which ones you own? Myself I've played thorugh normal mode for Fire Emblem 7 or the US version as people call it. I'm also up to scenario 26 on Hector's mode or whatever chapter it is that you get the 3rd Pegasus Knight that you can't get in normal mode. I'm too lazy to finish the last 7 scenarios or so. I beat Fire Emblem Gaiden many years ago. I've played part 1 and 3 to a certain extent like about 10 scenarios or so. I briefly tried out parts 4 and 5 but didn't play much more than a scenario or 2. I'm working on Fire Emblem 6 and I'm about half way through it.

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: yikes!

Postby geelw2 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:48 pm

Bighab wrote:
geelw2 wrote:i just got a near final version of the u.s. version of daisenryaku VII, and let's just say that if you're looking for something to keep you busy for a few months...well, this game is for you! over 160 maps, a map editor, multiplayer support... i just started playig last night and man, this game is deeeeeeeep. the crazy thing is it's scheduled to be released as a budget title (between $20 and $30 here), so it's probably the best value for the money this year! g.
I saw that game on a few "coming soon" lists. What kind of units are there? Modern or WW2?
modern units, so far...but there are over 400 different unit types to create, and the planes, ships, and tanks are all based on real units. also, some of the 62 maps in free play mode are historical campaigns, which is a nice touch. i'll need to go into some (like the okinawa map) and report back... my official preview should be up at bonusstage.com later this week. i think you'll like the game a lot, big. it's got nice, hi-res graphics, the same ol' hex maps (but now you can zoom and rotate), simple battle animations and a ridiculous amount of gameplay. i'm only on map 5 so far (well, i did stop to play kingdom under fire: the crusaders for a few days- BUY THIS GAME!), so i have about 107 to go, lol... oh- az, i absolutely LOVE the fire emblem games, but i know some more military-obsessed folks who wouldn't go near a fantasy game (their loss, though!)...

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:03 pm

I'm kind on the opposite side that I much prefer the fantasy style ones like Fire Emblem and Langrisser over the military style ones. Also any one know which Advance War game is better?

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:38 am

Azazel wrote:I'm kind on the opposite side that I much prefer the fantasy style ones like Fire Emblem and Langrisser over the military style ones. Also any one know which Advance War game is better?
I also prefer Fantasy settings to my strategy games. I also wish there were more Space themed ones as well. I'd both Advanced Wars games are good. You should start with the first one.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”