[SWITCH] Sega Ages

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[SWITCH] Sega Ages

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Looks like Sega & M2 are bringing a Sega Ages series to the Switch. Looks like they are trying Gain Ground again, after the lackluster port on the PS2. Very curious how this will be handled due to the 22khz display in the arcade version. Big fan of it though, so if I actually ever buy a Switch would give these the time of day. Phantasy Star always seems to be a go to. Not sure that I need to play it again.

Note that Rieko Kodama is in charge of the series.

Source
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: [SWITCH] Sega Ages

Postby layzee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:58 am

Oh I thought these were going to be ports of the PS2 Sega Ages series.

The PS2 Gain Ground remake was a bit flawed (e.g. the 3D camera angle making it difficult to judge whether you will get hit or not by enemy bullets and vice versa) but nevertheless, an interesting interpretation of the original and with a graphical overhaul. I was planning on doing a video walkthrough of it to upload to YouTube but it's a tough-as-nails game so I gave up that idea. Also, the soundtrack was composed/arranged by my favourite composer (see signature) so that's why I ended up trying that game in the first place.

As far as Phantasy Star is concerned, I'm content with the PS2 "Complete Collection" (Sega Ages Vol. 32).
プロジェクトさいさいへい -まるごと埼玉最終兵器- All About S.S.H.
~Project SaiSaiHei - The Saitama Saisyu Heiki Fan Site~

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:13 am

layzee wrote:As far as Phantasy Star is concerned, I'm content with the PS2 "Complete Collection" (Sega Ages Vol. 32).

I would love to have that on a portable device. I have it on my PS3, but that's boxed up in my closet.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 am

layzee wrote:. I was planning on doing a video walkthrough of it to upload to YouTube but it's a tough-as-nails game so I gave up that idea. .

PS2 remake or the original? The original is a butt fucker for sure. There is a super play of it and Crackdown (same player even) which are pretty amazing. I believe the guy has the WR on both. It's somewhat obscure but definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of either.

On that note, Crackdown is the one I put a lot of time into. Got up to 4-2. Those last two stages... so rough.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:
layzee wrote:. I was planning on doing a video walkthrough of it to upload to YouTube but it's a tough-as-nails game so I gave up that idea. .

PS2 remake or the original? The original is a butt fucker for sure. There is a super play of it and Crackdown (same player even) which are pretty amazing. I believe the guy has the WR on both. It's somewhat obscure but definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of either.

On that note, Crackdown is the one I put a lot of time into. Got up to 4-2. Those last two stages... so rough.

The PS2 remake. There was not much info on the game back then (2008) as far as game tips and analyses go. There was a 240p blurry video complete game walkthrough with muddy sound but the website it's from is probably gone (but I saved the videos).

Here's a more recent one from 2017 with better quality: a video walkthrough of the game (albeit incomplete).
プロジェクトさいさいへい -まるごと埼玉最終兵器- All About S.S.H.
~Project SaiSaiHei - The Saitama Saisyu Heiki Fan Site~

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 02, 2018 11:11 am

Pretty cool.

I remember watching the super play of the arcade, the guy sacrifices some players... going from memory . Gotta see if I still have those somewhere. Generally speaking, I was never able to get past 1/10 with anydecent stock of players.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”