Page 1 of 1

[SWITCH] Sega Ages

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:28 pm
by Gaijin Punch
Looks like Sega & M2 are bringing a Sega Ages series to the Switch. Looks like they are trying Gain Ground again, after the lackluster port on the PS2. Very curious how this will be handled due to the 22khz display in the arcade version. Big fan of it though, so if I actually ever buy a Switch would give these the time of day. Phantasy Star always seems to be a go to. Not sure that I need to play it again.

Note that Rieko Kodama is in charge of the series.

Source

Re: [SWITCH] Sega Ages

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:58 am
by layzee
Oh I thought these were going to be ports of the PS2 Sega Ages series.

The PS2 Gain Ground remake was a bit flawed (e.g. the 3D camera angle making it difficult to judge whether you will get hit or not by enemy bullets and vice versa) but nevertheless, an interesting interpretation of the original and with a graphical overhaul. I was planning on doing a video walkthrough of it to upload to YouTube but it's a tough-as-nails game so I gave up that idea. Also, the soundtrack was composed/arranged by my favourite composer (see signature) so that's why I ended up trying that game in the first place.

As far as Phantasy Star is concerned, I'm content with the PS2 "Complete Collection" (Sega Ages Vol. 32).

Re: [SWITCH] Sega Ages

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:13 am
by EOJ
layzee wrote:As far as Phantasy Star is concerned, I'm content with the PS2 "Complete Collection" (Sega Ages Vol. 32).


I would love to have that on a portable device. I have it on my PS3, but that's boxed up in my closet.

Re: [SWITCH] Sega Ages

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 am
by Gaijin Punch
layzee wrote:. I was planning on doing a video walkthrough of it to upload to YouTube but it's a tough-as-nails game so I gave up that idea. .


PS2 remake or the original? The original is a butt fucker for sure. There is a super play of it and Crackdown (same player even) which are pretty amazing. I believe the guy has the WR on both. It's somewhat obscure but definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of either.

On that note, Crackdown is the one I put a lot of time into. Got up to 4-2. Those last two stages... so rough.

Re: [SWITCH] Sega Ages

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:18 pm
by layzee
Gaijin Punch wrote:
layzee wrote:. I was planning on doing a video walkthrough of it to upload to YouTube but it's a tough-as-nails game so I gave up that idea. .


PS2 remake or the original? The original is a butt fucker for sure. There is a super play of it and Crackdown (same player even) which are pretty amazing. I believe the guy has the WR on both. It's somewhat obscure but definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of either.

On that note, Crackdown is the one I put a lot of time into. Got up to 4-2. Those last two stages... so rough.


The PS2 remake. There was not much info on the game back then (2008) as far as game tips and analyses go. There was a 240p blurry video complete game walkthrough with muddy sound but the website it's from is probably gone (but I saved the videos).

Here's a more recent one from 2017 with better quality: a video walkthrough of the game (albeit incomplete).

Re: [SWITCH] Sega Ages

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:11 am
by Gaijin Punch
Pretty cool.

I remember watching the super play of the arcade, the guy sacrifices some players... going from memory . Gotta see if I still have those somewhere. Generally speaking, I was never able to get past 1/10 with anydecent stock of players.

Re: [SWITCH] Sega Ages

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:32 am
by EOJ
Phantasy Star is out on Switch in Japan. Looks pretty similar to the version released on the PS2 collection. 999 yen. Should be released in the USA/Europe later this month.

Yuji Naka is somewhat pissed his name is not in the credits (outside of the actual end-game credits), even though he programmed the original game:

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1058740139898224640

Re: [SWITCH] Sega Ages

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:25 am
by Gaijin Punch
He's a bit of a bitch though, isn't he? Aren't remakes standard to have the original staff roll in the emulation, and the port/remake staff in their own credit roll?

Re: [SWITCH] Sega Ages

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 am
by EOJ
I gather his argument was "this is an important part of gaming history, so I should be credited properly". Horii (from M2) then commented on this extensively, noting it is difficult to credit all the original staff, due to legal issues in Japan regarding people who are retired from a company. A lot of hullabaloo on twitter about this.

Re: [SWITCH] Sega Ages

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:53 am
by Gaijin Punch
EOJ wrote:due to legal issues in Japan regarding people who are retired from a company. A lot of hullabaloo on twitter about this.


This I can actually buy... easily. If there's one thing we should all know by now, Japan has no fucking clue how to do anything easily. Red tape out the ass no matter what you try.