Must Have PS2 Titles

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Must Have PS2 Titles

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:16 am

I know not many people here are keeping up w/ the PS2... I do buy games from time to time, but overall, I don't know a lot about what the system has to offer.

Anyways, I do want to lift the good games the system has, so without further ado...

Shinobi
Phantasy Star
Fantasy Zone
Shin Contra (?)
ESPGaluda
Dodonpachi Daioujou
Gradius V
Kaze no Klonoa 2
Sega Ages 2500 (From Gunstar Heroes up)
ICO
Wander to Kyozou
Okami

I've got others, but that's all I can think of now. I'm for the most part interested in platformers (3D, and the few 2D that exist) but put anything up there you think belongs.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Must Have PS2 Titles

Postby Recap » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:14 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote: I'm for the most part interested in platformers (3D, and the few 2D that exist) but put anything up there you think belongs.

There's not ANY 2D platform action game on the PS2, sadly. Unless you call that existing Contra a 2D game, that is.

What I've seen:

Gust's Atelier series, especially Eternal Mana.
Summon Night 3
Phantom Brave
Makai Senki Disgaea
La Pucelle
Tales of Destiny 2
Venus & Braves
Growlanser IV
Gradius III & IV
Guilty Gear XX # Reload

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: Must Have PS2 Titles

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:42 pm

Recap wrote:There's not ANY 2D platform action game on the PS2, sadly. Unless you call that existing Contra a 2D game, that is.

Metal Slug 3. :)

Man... I think that's the only one! Klonoa is a nice 2.5D platformer, which kinda counts. :(

oh, well... less money I have to spend.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:42 pm

Chain Dive is a awesome 2.5 action/platformer. Yes everyting is in 3D but the gameplay remains 2D ;) . A must!!!

I will try to name some that didint get mention.

.hack series
Astro Boy Atom
Bujingai
Choaniki Sei Naru Protein Densetsu ( with sperm like laser beams )
Crimson Sea 2
Guitaroo Man
R-Type Final
REZ ( if you dont have for DC )
Skygunner
Stretch Panic ( weird, by treasure )
Silpheed
Zone of the Enders 1 and 2
La Pucelle
Fatal Frame 2 crimson butterfly
Raging Bless ( beat em up )
Jojo Bizzare Adv.5
RAD robot alchemic drive
Galerians:Ash

That all I can think of right now...
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

ArnoldRimmer83
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ArnoldRimmer83 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:14 pm

Gradius III & IV
Contra Shattered Soldier
R Type Final
Klonoa 2
Dynasty Warriors 3 (The closest we'll get to a modern day beat em up. I haven't had the chance to try 4 yet.)
Activision Anthology (I kind of doubt this was released in Japan.)

I haven't tried them myself yet, but I've heard positive things on Sly Cooper and Racket and Clank.

I hope Neo Contra will shape up well. I've already heard good things about Gradius V. Looking forward to that game's US release. (Which should finally be pretty soon.)

oceanfr
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby oceanfr » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:26 pm

though I dont have a ps2.. that hunter x hunter rpg, full metal alchemist, tod2 & bomberman jetters

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:37 am

.hack series
Any idea how long these are? As there's four parts, I assume they're on the shorter side (20 hours or so).
Heard bad things about this one, from shmup fans of course.
These I'm on the fence on. They've always looked so pretty. Thanks though... that gives me something to work with.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:40 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
.hack series

Any idea how long these are? As there's four parts, I assume they're on the shorter side (20 hours or so).

Heard bad things about this one, from shmup fans of course.

These I'm on the fence on. They've always looked so pretty.
Thanks though... that gives me something to work with.

For .hack about 20 to 30 hours depending on how you play.I'm still in part 4 and im near 100 hours.

I tought Choaniki was overall pretty good, really funny in a disturbing way.I really liked that new feature, when you rotate your right analog stick your muscular characters will build up energy and when you press the R3 they will perform there disgusting but destructive sperm laser beam.

Zone of the enders is a great series, one of my personal fav. Every thing is so fast and pretty, control play is exellent when you get the hang of it. Great CG and anime, cool character desing(vic viper is in part 2 :) ).Ohh yeah, almost forgot, great soundtrack.

mepian
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mepian » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:45 pm

-Certainly Katamary Damacy: The game is so fresh and extremely addictive.
-Virtua Racing: I've barely played the arcade original, but I just love this port.
-Virtual On Marz: It received lots of critisism, but after configuring the controls for the Dual Stick setup and spending enough time to addapt to them the game is very, very good.
-The Block Kuzushi Hyper: Arkanoid style game with a lot of twists and special techniques.
-Then there are the usual suspects like ESP Galuda, Shikigami No Shiro 2, Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou, and perhaps Shienryu Double.

mempbisB
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mempbisB » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:09 am

Just gotten katamari . Wacky game . Does take some time to get use to the controls in it. But its similiar to Virtua on.

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:39 pm

Katamari makes me helliciously nauseous....it's quite bothersome as the game is great. I'm not sure why either, I play plenty of 1st person shooters. Oddly enough, the most frustrated I get with the manuevering ball, the more dizzy I become. I'm not taking a veiled swipe at the game either, I love it - it just makes me physically sick to play for some unknown reason.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:38 am

A game I just never picked up. I'll have to lift this and ICO one day. Anyways, due to everyone saying it's great, it should definitely make the must-haves list.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:21 pm

I hated Ico, I felt like playing the first prince of persia, not that its bad but not really much going on in this game, the fights sucks and its just a big maze with puzzle and a lot of time to waste in those... For me it felt like a big waste of my time. Alien Hominid, now that's a must have!!! 2D goodness!!!

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:16 pm

Darkchii wrote:I hated Ico, I felt like playing the first prince of persia, not that its bad but not really much going on in this game, the fights sucks and its just a big maze with puzzle and a lot of time to waste in those... For me it felt like a big waste of my time.

Alien Hominid, now that's a must have!!!
2D goodness!!!

Ico to me feels like R-Type Final. Hey, it may not have tons of gameplay, but the atmosphere it creates is amazing. Well worth a play through IMO.

Alien Hominid is great though. I suggest picking it up for the Gamecube rather than the PS2 though :) . My only complaints with the game is that it has quite a few bugs...and the levels are extremely flat (c.f. Metal Slug).

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:36 pm

not sure it's my place to add to this, but i'd drop in the following :

Shadow of the Colossus / Wanda to kyozou - graphics suffer a bit with the frame rate, but the team did wonders getting it run at any sort of frame rate in the end. The music is phenomenal and the whole game feels like something epic and glorious.

Dragon Quest 8 (US version) - the voice acting (especially Yangus) and the orchestrated music push this above the Japanese version. A nice old school feel to it.

Bully - right, i've never gotten into GTA, it just never clicked with me, but Bully is somewhat different. Europeans might remember Skool Daze and Back 2 Skool on the Spectrum - this game makes me feel like i felt when i played those games. It's just out and out fun and a huge surprise.

EDF2 (The Chikyuu Boueigun 2)
Oh my word - the first game was good, the second game is just so incredible on so many levels... absolutely hideous slowdown on certain levels, but an absolute blast from start to finish - an absolute bargain at 2000 yen. Stunning stuff , when you see the centipedes that stretch for miles, you have to wonder how the PS2 is pulling it off at all.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:48 pm

A while ago I heard Mike Patton was doing the soundtrack for Bully so I might have to check that one out, at least the soundtrack.

mitsuruga
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mitsuruga » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:28 pm

GOD HAND rocks ;)

edit: same for Ookami :)

ah, and all the kojima stuff for sure! :D
o_O

Myollnir
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Myollnir » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:41 pm

Suikoden III and V are definitely worth a try. (IV and Tactics if you are into rpgs/ srpgs)
"Trying is the beginning of failure"
- Homer Simpson

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu May 31, 2007 7:51 pm

I heard very good things about Coloball 2002. Odd game like no other with odd 2d art style like no other. Maybe any of you can confirm if it's true:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2002 ... 9,0,0.html

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:55 am

There is only one on Yahoo Japan, and it's 5000 yen. :( I will wait and see if one pops up elsewhere.

bay
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby bay » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:14 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:There is only one on Yahoo Japan, and it's 5000 yen. :( I will wait and see if one pops up elsewhere.

if you follow that amazon link off recap's post there's plenty of used ones for ‾1400 yen?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:50 am

Indeed there are. Might check that out.

kafka
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby kafka » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:52 pm

A couple I haven't seen mentioned that have some charm...

Steambot Chronicles: At first it seems a bit clunky, however, after spending some time on it I was willing to call it Irem's best.

Sky Gunner: Cool steampunk flight combat game that in terms of style (not gameplay) should appeal to Skies of Arcadia fans. Good anime fmv too (currently forgotten the studio).

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:14 am

Here's ma' list
Taito Legends 2
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
or
Street Fighter III : Third Strike
Mushihime-sama

and... that's it? I thought I enjoyed alot more games...
I'll also second Shin Contra, Katamari, God Hand, Gradius V, and R-Type final.

(would you possibly be interested in ps-1 must haves? or is that another thread?)

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:04 pm

Return to “Japanese Video Games”