Assault Suit Valken

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Assault Suit Valken

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:42 am

This comes out today... I'd like to pick one up, but probably won't make it to the store. Tomorrow it is. Little tidbit: Did anyone know that Urushihara (Langrisser, Growlanser) did the character designs?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:03 am

I thought the leynos games and maybe all the Assualt Suit games were done by Masaya or they had something to do it it so it's not a big surprise.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:53 am

I picked this up. I've played through it twice. My initial impressions? It's too fucking hard. Not hard like "challenging hard". Hard as in "your mech is massive, and clunky, and you can't manuever well" hard. Graphics are nice and it's great that retro games are coming out, but 3 credits and getting having half your energy gone through the first part of stage two? I'm not ten years old anymore. I don't have weeks on end to get uber-strong at one game. Yeah, I know the originals were tough, which I've heard from most is their downfall. It was priced perfectly = 4600 yen, which is much cheaper than most PS2 new releases. It's not crap by a long shot, but seems more work than fun so far.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:10 pm

That's what I think abou ASL. It's so damn hard to manuever, I wonder if I ever learn how to play it properly. :?

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:28 pm

For the original ones it's more about learning which weapons to use and when. I at first thoguht that ASL was pretty hard till I learned how they worked.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:46 pm

Guess I'll have to try some more then... Most NCS games seem to be like this, judging from Mamono Hunter and a few more.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:49 pm

Well, I'm more than willing to listen. There's a shooter part of at the first of stage 2 which makes up half the stage. The best I can do is about 40% of health remaining after this part, so I've got almost none when I get to the boss.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:53 am

I've never played the Snes and PSX versions so sadly can't you out much.

evilmess
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby evilmess » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:16 am

Does it have a save feature or do you have start at the beginning of the game each time you play? FYI, this cheat for extra continues works on both Valken (freeplay) and Cybernator (6 credits instead of 3). ;) Cheat: At the title screen, hold Up+L+R and then press start. source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/code/8933.html Worth a shot for the PS2 version :)

StriderNC
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby StriderNC » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:31 pm

can someone tell me how the visuals are? are they the same as the SF vers. the pics make it look almost the same. and what about the music also. no ones really addressed how it and the SF differ in the visual dept. i am not worried about the difficulty at all. I can still ace the the SF vers and I am a big fan of the series.

ArnoldRimmer83
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ArnoldRimmer83 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:32 pm

I remember the shooting stages as being pretty tough in Valken. Problem with them is that I always thought your mech was too big of a target. Otherwise the game isn't too bad difficulty wise, at least not compared to Leynos. Now Leynos is a game that requires a lot of patience.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:13 am

ArnoldRimmer hit the nail on the head --- the mech is a massive target, and there's tons of shit flyign at you. The 2nd stage is in zero gravity, making it hard to dodge the bullets. And you can only use stage select to practice stages you've beaten, and there are not unlimited continues. Only 3. The graphics look almost the exact same from what little I"ve seen of the SFC version. Even has gigantic dumbo fonts. :)

Schmeetz
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Schmeetz » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:01 pm

I don't quite remember the game as hard in its SNES from, but it's oretty challenging. I'm also curious how the new version differs, except for the 'zero' missin. Or was that in the SFC version as well?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:21 pm

If Grant would ever show his face here, he could say. I don't recall the original as much as most (it's been ages since I touched it) but he confirmed that there's very little different. As I stated -- it's even got those massive low-res fonts. I'd have preferred a touched up version preferably. It's pretty cheap though -- it's got that going for it.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”