The effed up titles thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The effed up titles thread

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:12 am

The thing that generally tends to get butchered on the way over the pond is the box art... however, the title is also known to take a blow. In most cases, I've found the original (no matter where it's published) is the superior title, and the localized (also no matter where) is crap. So, in this world, US movies in Japan have awful names, and Japanese games in American have goofy names. Sure, it's getting better, but it's far from perfect. Here's a few that stick out. I'll do the following format: JPN title
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:38 am

Langrisser/Warsong/Genesis/first one just sounds cooler Lennus/7th Saga/Snes/equal in my book Downtown Nettetsu Monotagari/River City Ransom/NES, PC Engine, X68000, GBA/JPN Garou Densetsu/Fatal Fury/Neo Geo, various ports/JPN sounds better Tetsujin/truxton/MEgadrive/JPN Battlemania/Trouble Shooter/Megadrive/equal Crest of Wolf/Riot Zone/PC Engine/equal Ninja Ryuyuken/Ninja gaiden/variosu systems/JPN Daimakaimura/Ghouls and Ghost/Megadrive, Super Grafx/JPN Gunhed/Blazing Lasers/PC Engine/equal PC Genjin/Bonk/PC Engine/JPN Assualt Suit Leynos/Target Earth/Megadrive/JPN Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage/Megadrive/equal

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:57 am

99% of the times, the Jap version is better, but we should put an eye in Konami's Akumajou Dracula series here. "Castlevania" is nicer. It was already a name invented by the original authors' themselves to name the castle, but using it for the series' name also was a brilliant idea. So much, that Japanese now want it as the official name also there. GBA Akumajou Dracula games are usually named "Akumajou Dracula Series: Castlevania [whatever]". The PS2 game is just called "Castlevania", no Dracula mention there. What about this: BAKUMATSU ROMAN DAI NI MAKU: GEKKA NO KENSHI ‾TSUKI NI SAKU HANA, CHIRI YUKU HANA‾ / THE LAST BLADE 2 / ARC/NG. An intention of porting the game's poetical concept to the title vs. an uninspired and commercial way to name the game.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:08 pm

Here is one I find messed up: SD Valis

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:31 pm

Recap wrote:99% of the times, the Jap version is better, but we should put an eye in Konami's Akumajou Dracula series here. "Castlevania" is nicer.
I didn't bring this up, b/c honestly, I'm torn. "Akumajo" I quite like... "Dracula" is pretty weak. I did like your example of Gekka no Kenshi -- that title is just stupidly long. Was Fushigi no Dungeon (any of them) reelased in the west? I'd like to see how they handled those long names.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:06 pm

[quote="Bighab"]Here is one I find messed up: SD Valis

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:15 pm

Thre's always the classic Layer Section/Galactic Attack... I always liked Ninja Gaiden myself. But then the 'side story' thing doesn't make much sense, does it?

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:51 pm

And then there's Contra, which was named Probotector in Europe along with the graphics (sprites were changed from rambo-styled to robots). All because of the sensitiviy of Germany :)

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:21 am

I think Contra was originally Grysor in JPN if I remember right. I'll agree with the Ninja Gaiden part especially cause the title literally translates to Legend of the Dragon Ninja Sword.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:39 am

Azazel wrote:I think Contra was originally Grysor in JPN if I remember right.
Interesting -- where'd you hear that? I thought the title was always Contra, and usually stood out b/c of the kanji they use.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:59 am

The european arcade game was called Gryzor atleast...

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:57 am

Shokyrugurentai/Terra Diver/Saturn/Japanese name wins every time. And what about when they just replace whole games - Super Mario Bros. 2/Doki Doki Panic.......... What was the point???
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.'' Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:13 am

Gryzor is the name just for the Euro release-
Shokyrugurentai/Terra Diver/Saturn/Japanese name wins every time.
It's "Soukyuu Gurentai". Easier and cooler than what you wrote, isn't it? ; ) And what about when they just replace whole games - Super Mario Bros. 2/Doki Doki Panic.......... What was the point?? That was a Japanese work, after all. Western Super Mario Bros 2 is Super Mario USA in Japan, you know. But hey: Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken / Decapattack; that did really hurt.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:18 pm

And then there's... ??? -> Tetris Attack Puyo Puyo -> Dr Robotnick's meanbean machine Japanese versions win again ;)

ArnoldRimmer83
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ArnoldRimmer83 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:05 pm

zinger wrote:And then there's... ??? -> Tetris Attack Puyo Puyo -> Dr Robotnick's meanbean machine Japanese versions win again ;)
Tetris Attack is called Panel de Peon in Japan I think. Another classic Western name change was Konami's Green Berret. Changed to the not so subtle title "Rush n Attack".

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:22 pm

Green Beret

Black_Tiger
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Black_Tiger » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:30 am

Well, I think that they were better off dropping the "Homogalutan Special' or whater ever in the U.S. release of Sega GT. Black Dragon -> Black Tiger -why? I still love it but why? especially since they're mortal enemies. Winds Of Thunder -> Lords Of Thunder Area 88 -> UN Squadren Tatakai no Banka -> Trojan Makaimura -> Ghosts N Goblins -and so on in the series Super Street Fighter II X-> Super Street Fighter II TURBO Senjou no Ookami II -> Mercs -why not just Super Commando or something? Vampire: The Night Warriors -> Darkstalkers - The Night Warriors Vampire Hunter -> Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge Assault Suit Leynos -> Target Earth Hakuto No Ken -> Last Battle

Black_Tiger
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Black_Tiger » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:32 am

I just threw a few down off the top off my head, but can't believe that I almost forgot- Nectaris -> Military Madness I mean come on.

ArnoldRimmer83
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: The effed up titles thread

Postby ArnoldRimmer83 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:15 am

[quote="Gaijin Punch"]Tatakai no Banka

Black_Tiger
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Black_Tiger » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:06 pm

Yeah, its the same in the english version. Still Super Mario Bros is called Goomba.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:51 am

How about one that should've changed but didnt'? Seaman

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:42 pm

What do you guys think- Dragon Quest or Dragon Warrior? I gotta go with Warrior myself, but maybe that's just nostalgia talking. Seaman is alright. I mean, it's about a Sea Man, not much else that you could call it.

Black_Tiger
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Black_Tiger » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:50 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:How about one that should've changed but didnt'? Seaman
We don't know any better now since we're used to it, but Donkey Kong is pretty hokey.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:12 am

Anything w/ the word Donkey in it these days sends warning signals off in my head. :) Delafro: I think Warrior was/is far too overused in games... I'll go w/ Quest.

Pingu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pingu » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:42 am

Well puzzle bobble -> bust a move = yuck bust a move -> bust a groove = bwa ha loosers XD
Panda papanda kopanda

Return to “Japanese Video Games”