phantom dusted!

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

phantom dusted!

Postby geelw2 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:59 pm

so, microsoft snuck a demo of the japanese version onto the latest OXM disc (you need to enter a code to unlock it), and now i'm hooked on ANOTHER cool game, lol. fortunately, i have a debug unit here that can play japanese games, now i'm off to try and secure a full version of the game. i'm going to bother a few smaller publishers i have contact with to see if they're willing to pony up the bucks to buy the rights. microsoft seems disinterested in publishing it here, but the demo is on the disc to obviously track consumer interest. the DUMB thing is that they left it untranslated (i believe the final has an english menu option), which means a load of people won't make it past the start menu! i made it to the next to last mission, where i kept getting killed off by the second round opponent. anyone here play this yet (either the japanese version or the demo)? g.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:57 pm

Was tempted to buy it before shoving off, but I read that a lot of the cool stuff requries Xbox Live, which I don't have -- is it very fun offline? I might pick up a used copy at one time, b/c I find it a damn shame that I've not bought an Xbox games since Orta.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:22 am

it should be out for Asian market soon. Generally Asian version get released at the same time as JPN and it's virtually same as JPN except in English rather than Japanese... Unless I need XLIVE I usually pick up Asian release as it often sells at lower price... and usually get the same LE omake as JPN... wish Australia is classified as Asian country rather than Europe... :( We get treated like second rate citizen being part of PAL and missed out on the stuff JPN and Asian release get... I had Asian release Otoji 2 w/ OST CD sent from Korea by one of relatives... ;p Maybe I should bother him about sending me GP32... cheers

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

hmmmm...

Postby geelw2 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:42 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Was tempted to buy it before shoving off, but I read that a lot of the cool stuff requries Xbox Live, which I don't have -- is it very fun offline? I might pick up a used copy at one time, b/c I find it a damn shame that I've not bought an Xbox games since Orta.
i don't have live either, although the demo seems to have live content on it to play through. it seems as if the live stuff was made to really draw japanese gamers to sign up for the service, as i've heard it's pretty deep. but i'm willing to play any game that has a solid single player experience that doesn't feel like it's tacked on to satisfy those not willing to shell out for an account. offline, the enemy AI varies depending on the stage, but the pace of the battles is pretty fast and requires a bit of careful planning in the options screen. if you pick the wrong "cards" for the battle, you're toast. i really liked the fact that the destructible environments can be used to your advantage (you can blast a walkway so that it falls on your opponent or you can blow a section of bridge away so he falls through), and it works both ways if the enemy does some clever attacking as well. it does take about a match or two to get used to jumping with the left stick (the buttons are used for attacks and picking up the colored spheres that pop up), but the tutorial does a good job of explaining what's what. you didn't pick up otogi 2? it's pretty good (well, if you liked the first one)... g.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:13 am

I've not played either Otogi games. Should have, but didn't. There were a few X-box games I was going to try to lift, but didn't bother. I'll have my wife pick them up for me when she goes home next time. I Did, however, pick up a stack of PS2 games used, before shoving off. Titles include... Chaos Legion Tales of Destiny (almost done w/ it) Ghost in the Shell Gekibo 2 Anubis Tetsuwan Atom Probaly some more, but am forgetting. Got most of 'em pretty cheap - around 2000 yen or so, besides GitS, which I just started playing, and will make a seperate thread about.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby geelw2 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:30 am

i couldn't get into chaos legion too much until i played drakengard... then i appreciated capcom's game alll the more, lol. drakengard was a turd on a stick with great music and cinemas but just damn awful repetitive gameplay and some really terrible draw in. i loved the art and most of the character designs, but square/enix/cavia really blew it on this one... g.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:44 am

It's good mindless fun. Wish I played GitS first though, as it requires some thought. Anubis is on the list, but I played a few stages of the first Zoe, so might as well wait until I get that one under my belt.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:50 pm

single play in Phantom dust is pretty good, the AI at time might get really frustrating sometimes and the Boss's are really cheap when they get low HP. The jap version is in full english btw, very nice game with a lot of style.( rare thing for the Xbox) Another very cool import is Magatama, weird thing that Ive never heard of this game before buying it, its one of the best games for Xbox in my opinion.
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:15 am

AOXBM ran an article on Magatama few months back but then no news at all... accidently found it was released in Japan after seeing listed on Yahoo Japan...
Image My VGA Store http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk/shops/dj898

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:22 am

exellent game for 10 bucks. ;) check out play-asia its in crazy sale.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:43 am

double post :D
Last edited by dj898 on Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:48 am

what you guys thought on below Xbox imports then? Terenezza Muzzle Flash J-Phoenix+ have these for ages but never get around to play more than couple minutes... :( cheers
My VGA Store
http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk/shops/dj898

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:58 am

THanks for the review on Magatama... might pick it up. Too bad I have so many other damn games I need to play.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:29 pm

Oupss... :P double post
Last edited by Darkchii on Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:29 pm

dj898 wrote:what you guys thought on below Xbox imports then? Terenezza Muzzle Flash J-Phoenix+ have these for ages but never get around to play more than couple minutes... :( cheers
Terenezza- At first I really liked the ultra cute character desing, Its a intressting action/rpg, the in game graphics r kinda weak for Xbox. Textures are cheap and scaled and the gameplay is just way to simple. This could have been a good action rpg, but its just decent... Muzzle flash- Never played, not really intressted by those type. J-Phoemix- Never played, Almost done downloading it, might try it next week. Dronez- A weird tron like platformer/shooter. Nice unknown game. N.U.D.E.- Im wondering if its playable even if I dont know japanese, I know theres a good faq at gamefaqs.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”