New stuff I've been playing (Tears, GBA Zelda, Berserk, etc)

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

New stuff I've been playing (Tears, GBA Zelda, Berserk, etc)

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:35 am

Okay, here's my brief reviews of the games I've been playing lately. Shining Tears: Graphics are very nice. It's nice to see high-res 2D... it almost looks painted. One thing to note though, it really depends on your TV. At the TGS, they had these on rather old Sharp LCD screens (non HDTV). You were also very close to the screen, which gave cause to some pixelation and whatnot. The idea of the gameplay is good. 2 characters, with 1 player (or 2 if you have friends into RPGs). What I don't like about it is that the key events you level up a lot, but the "filler" episodes you don't. Makes it tricky to level up the right characters. And on that note, there is a lot of levelling up on the side you have to do, and I hear it gets worse. There's a lot of other elements to the game which give you a lot of control. Stats and spells aren't automatically raised. You get points (for each) as you level up. You can also combine minerals and such along the way to make your weaopns and armor stronger (in fact, you don't find new weapons -- you just make your current one stronger). In short, it's a nice idea, but the levelling up gets old (unless there's a faster way that I've missed) and the loading times are flat out awful. It's not as bad as they're making it out to be on Gamefaqs, but I think they could've spent some more time and fixed some of the quirks. It's worth noting that there's like 11 endings confirmed, and you can't copy your data, so you have to play through the game 11 times. You do, however, retain your items (and perhaps skills) the 2nd time through though. Zelda no Densetsu: Fushigi no Boushi Once again, the Japanese have a better title than the English version. Oh, well. I literally got this yesterday, so have only beaten the first dungeon, and am on my way to the 2nd. As such, I can't such much, other than it looks great so far. WTF was Nintendo thinking waiting so long to come out with a true Zelda for the GBA? And why does nobody try to make a clone of this... or at least a good one? Biohazard came out, and now there's several survival horro franchises. Zelda has a monopoly on this type of game me thinks. Berserk Many of my thoughts were posted in the other thread. It's not a bad game at all, but it does get VERY repetitve. The essence of leveling is chaining your enemies, which requires time. There is FMV throughout the game, which is rather mediocre in terms of quality, and isn't full screen either. The story... typical manga stuff. Glad I bought it, but will probably not play it much anymore, hence, it's avaialble for anyone that wants it. Half Life 2 Yep, I bought a PC game. I can't believe it either. I'm not an FPS fan so to speak, but I don't hate them. I've played the original Half Life, Halo, Quake 2 (not 3) and one other one which I can't recall the name of now. In short, I like it. There's surprsingly little shooting, and quite a bit of thinking. The graphics look great on my low-end card (GeForce 2) but I'm sure they're stunning on a high-end. This and Zelda are the two best purchases I've made recently. Neither are the epitome of "new and refreshing" but both are well-put-together games, and that's what counts to me in the long run. Coming Soon PSO Episode IV This is the main thing I'm looking forward to right now. There's a beta test on 11/30 for those of us that registered before the middle of July. I took a video of it at the TGS, but never had my computer hooked up until a few weeks ago, so never captured it. I suppose I could throw the video up somewhere but I figured IGN would've covered it by now. Tales of Rebirth This is the only other thing on my "to buy" list for th rest of the year, other than Mario DS. I just played through my first Tales of game (Destiny) and quite liked it. Not too long, not too short. We'll see how this one fairs.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: New stuff I've been playing (Tears, GBA Zelda, Berserk,

Postby Recap » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:00 am

Thanks for the impressions. I also bought ST but I'm still waiting for it. Won't be playing it anytime soon, but glad to see it's decent. Hope it has more varied backgrounds that they showed in screenshots. Also waiting for Rebirth. I've heard about preorder extras, do you know the details? And I'm wondering, why didn't you purchase TOD2 and Eternal Mana (not to mention the S-RPGs for the PS2)?.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:53 am

Recap wrote:Hope it has more varied backgrounds that they showed in screenshots.
So far the key events are all in a different map, whereas the other ones are 1 of 5 or 6.
Also waiting for Rebirth. I've heard about preorder extras, do you know the details?
No, but I'll check. :)
why didn't you purchase TOD2 and Eternal Mana (not to mention the S-RPGs for the PS2)?.
I do own TOD2... just haven't played it yet... just finished the first one. I've got the other Tales of games, as well as Growlanser 2-3 to play, so didn't buy that many other RPGs. A few, but not a lot.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:24 pm

hey Gaijin, I'm intressted in your Berserk, how much are you asking for it? :)
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:07 am

Darkchii wrote:hey Gaijin, I'm intressted in your Berserk, how much are you asking for it? :)
Well, I've got it on my for sale list for $50, but listed at $48 at Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8148118166 I can stop the auction if you're interested... not sure if it'll get bids or not. Strange though, as it's only a month or so old, and I've knocked $25 off the price.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:02 pm

Cool ill take it :D let me know your paypal, and I will pend this up on Gtz and I will send you my new addy.
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:33 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Also waiting for Rebirth. I've heard about preorder extras, do you know the details?
No, but I'll check. :)
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/talesofrebirth/news_6108028.html

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:11 am

Nice -- I pre-ordered it. Wonder if I'll get the DVD. :)

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:27 pm

Can you give us a little more of an update on Zelda? (no spoilers please) I'm glad they finally put out a new one. Didn't want the GBA to end up like the SNES, with only one Zelda game.

Niu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Niu » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:56 pm

*looks up Gaijin Punch... you seems to be very tolerant of Hsinign Tears

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:14 pm

Sorry I've been incommunicado guys -- the site being down has made me lose interest for the moment. It won't die (that I know of) but can't really do much at the moment. Zelda I'm almost done with. Pretty typical Zelda stuff (some new, some old) with some pretty nice graphics. I don't know if anyone else realizes, but this could very well be the last 2D Zelda. Some people whine that it's too small... I didn't feel that way. As for Shining Tears... yeah, I cut it some slack. I've not picked up from where I left off though, so can't really comment anymore. I will pick up at some point.

Niu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Niu » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:08 am

Any one playing ToR than? I am now spending my netire winter break on this thing.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:55 am

I will check it out when I get it in a week or so. I'm playing a lot of PSO:BB at the moment, but can squeeze this in. As long as I finish it by the end of February when PS: Generation II comes out, I'll be fine.

Niu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Niu » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:39 am

I would say not to miss ToR. It is one gorgeous works. It basically gets the best out of ToS and ToD2, especially the battle system.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:42 pm

Niu wrote:I would say not to miss ToR. It is one gorgeous works. It basically gets the best out of ToS and ToD2, especially the battle system.
I bought it. Wonder if I'll get the extra DVD or UMD or whatever. Need to play all the other Tales of games before, thoe. Is it me or are these series getting more action-RPGish with every game? My Tears copy is still unopened. Should I sell it?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:40 am

Recap. I got halfway through Tears and won't finish it anytime soon. It's a good idea, just not well put together, IMHO. I'm in a bit of a phase right now, where games I normallly like aren't doing much for me. Hopefully ToR will break me out of that phase.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”