Is there any cable I could use to play PAL games on my PS1??

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

dave4shmups
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Is there any cable I could use to play PAL games on my PS1??

Postby dave4shmups » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:11 pm

I have a modded PSone, and I was wondering if there's ANY type of cable I could use with it to be able to play PAL games on it, since I live in the US. There's lot's of reasons I'd like to be able to play PAL PS1 games; the whole CT: Special Forces series was only released in Europe, the PAL version of X2: No Relief is a LOT cheaper and easier to hunt down then the Japanese version, and then there's Strike Force Hydra; a scrolling shooter which was only released in Europe. At any rate, I would appreciate any advice on this, if it's even possible. Thanks!!

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:16 am

I'm assuming your TV has no RGB Scart, so either composite or SVHS should work ok.
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.'' Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:43 pm

I believe on chip'd PS1 PAL games will output NTSC-50 which not many TV can digest even among PAL TV. Even if you do get the picture you may not get the colour... RGB connection will bypass this problem depending you have RGB monitor and RGB cable. o_Y Getting chip'd PAL PS1 won't help either coz then you have to deal with PAL-60 signal that I believe no US consumer TV can handle unless you have some rare/espensive model...
Image My VGA Store http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk/shops/dj898

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:03 am

You could try running it through your monitor. I've run the PAL version of Resident Evil 2 through my laptop, through S-Video oddly enough. Though I'm pretty sure your TV will hate you if you try with it.

dave4shmups
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dave4shmups » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:06 am

So just using an S-Video cable wouldn't work??

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:09 am

No. Your TV will raze your crops and impregnate your daughter. It may even cut you. PAL signals are different than NTSC, in both number of lines displayed and refresh rate (well there is 60 Hz PAL, but I believe most of it is 50 Hz). Go google PAL and NTSC for some learnin' fun! :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:39 am

In short, if your TV isn't multi-system (if you bought it in America, there's a 99.99% chance it isn't) then it will require external hardware. Or you can play them in emulation on your computer.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:54 am

another alternative is playing on RGB but finding RGB monitor in US won't be easy nor cheap... I can only find 13" monitors... and they are usually in crappy condition from hospital... oh well...

dave4shmups
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dave4shmups » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:20 pm

I did buy the TV in here in the US. I do plan on getting a monitor eventually. www.4jays.com has some RGB monitors.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:06 pm

I use a VGA box with my old modded Ps1 if I want to play PAL games. The PC monitor will display 50 or 60 hz no problem. ;)
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

Return to “Japanese Video Games”