My Saturn journey begins

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

LoneSage
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

My Saturn journey begins

Postby LoneSage » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:42 am

Haha, that sounded so lame... Anyways, yup, I'm finally going to own a Saturn after it came out over a decade ago (in Japan, anyways). I still haven't got my Saturn yet, but these are the games that I've bought and I already have physically in my house; all of them are complete and with spine card unles noted otherwise: Gunbird - 15.00 Groove on Fight - 35.00 (I've noticed the girl in the banner at the top of this forum is the same as the one in this box art :) ) Waku Waku 7 box version w/ ram cart - 30.00 Skull Fang -- $18 Metal Slug -- $45 Hokuto no Ken -- $18 KOF 97 $15 Samurai Shodown 4 $15 Galaxy Fight $9 PTO II (US version, complete for $1) Virtua Racing (US version, complete for $1) KOF 95 $15 SF Collection $15 Vampire Hunter $5 DJ War Free And here are all the ones I've paid for and have yet to receive (some should be coming soon): Terra Phantastica (part of $100 modded Saturn deal) X-Men VS. Street Fighter w/4MB RAM (above) Capcom Collection Vol. 1 (above) Assault Suit Leynos 2--$20 Konami Antiques MSX Collection -- $23 Macross: Do you Remember Love? (w/out spine card) -- $17 Striker: 1945 Part 1 -- $26 Panzer Dragoon Zwei -- $8 Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4 -- $4 Rapyulus Panic -- $5 Dynamite Deka -- $8 Vampire Savior --$15 Pocket Fighter -- $22 Decathlete -- $8 So, you guys think I've made some wise or un-wise choices? Any suggestions on what I need to get now? edit: got some more games yesterday, whoo.
Last edited by LoneSage on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
New owner of a modded Saturn, whoo.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:07 am

i wish you good luck - and your bank account too :D see my sig for some things you can collect for Saturn as well...
Image My VGA Store http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk/shops/dj898

LoneSage
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby LoneSage » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:13 am

Wow, impressive collection. I have a question about that Hokuto no Ken game for the Saturn; I bought it too (I'm a big Fist of the North Star fan, it's a huge guilty pleasure of mine), but it's missing the second disc. I PMed the guy who sold me it, he still hasn't replied. What was the second disc? Soundtrack or something? As for my bank account, well I'm just a junior in high school who works a part-time job, setting aside $100 for college and the rest towards whatever the hell I want :D After buying RS, I'm quitting and feel content for the rest of my life.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:22 am

I believe that one comes with single disc only. I know it comes in double CD case but there are few number of Saturn games that come in duble CD case but only single disc... o_O if you are fan of hokutonoken try Playstation one. That follows the beginning of manga and unlike Saturn version it's the action fighter... with dodgy control :D
Last edited by dj898 on Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
My VGA Store
http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk/shops/dj898

LoneSage
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby LoneSage » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:44 am

Excellent, I'm relieved to hear I didn't get jipped. Kinda odd to hear that about the double-disc thing; then again I didn't even know what a spine card was in early December.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:40 am

LoneSage wrote:Excellent, I'm relieved to hear I didn't get jipped. Kinda odd to hear that about the double-disc thing; then again I didn't even know what a spine card was in early December.
Well, welcome to a reality where the spinecard can make or break a sale!
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:07 am

Double-disc SS boxes are always used for a reason. If the game's single-disc only, there should be any extra, like a map, an extra booklet or a sticker.

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:33 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
LoneSage wrote:Excellent, I'm relieved to hear I didn't get jipped. Kinda odd to hear that about the double-disc thing; then again I didn't even know what a spine card was in early December.
Well, welcome to a reality where the spinecard can make or break a sale!
Seriously. I don't know when I started caring about whether or not a game had the spinecard. When you break it down into realistic terms "Yes, I paid 20 more dollars for a little piece of paper that does absolutely nothing for my enjoyment of the game" - it seems a bit...silly.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:39 am

Strychnine wrote: Seriously. I don't know when I started caring about whether or not a game had the spinecard. When you break it down into realistic terms "Yes, I paid 20 more dollars for a little piece of paper that does absolutely nothing for my enjoyment of the game" - it seems a bit...silly.
I never cared; I always buy my games in brand new status. Game developers usually do appreciate that.

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:57 pm

Get Layer Section. It's a damn quality shmup, and very cheap.
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.'' Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:11 pm

Recap wrote:
Strychnine wrote: Seriously. I don't know when I started caring about whether or not a game had the spinecard. When you break it down into realistic terms "Yes, I paid 20 more dollars for a little piece of paper that does absolutely nothing for my enjoyment of the game" - it seems a bit...silly.
I never cared; I always buy my games in brand new status. Game developers usually do appreciate that.
I always buy used one unless I intend to keep it sealed condition for collection only - in that case I will get another used one so I can play... to me spin card isn't much of an issue... saying that if I'm buying rather expensive item - say anything over $40 - I expect the copy complete inc. spin card... cheers
My VGA Store

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:03 pm

I've got a simple rule. If it fits my schedule when it comes out, and I want it, I buy it new. If it's 3-4 months old, and noticeably cheaper when I buy it, I go used. Simple economics. With all the games coming out, you can't be expected to pay new prices for everything.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dave4shmups
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dave4shmups » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:37 pm

Nice start there, Lonesage! Pick up Elevator Action Returns; best Rolling Thunder/Elevator Action style action game I've ever played! :D

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:01 pm

dj898: What? Hokuto no Ken actually has a 32-bit fighter? Here's what I've played. Please enlighten me if there's anything more: I've tried the menu-based one on the PS, the one where you hold down the button for a length of time to charge up your attack. You can also heal or defend to charge up your strength but in the end, it's all menu-based where stronger attacks win against the opponent's weaker attacks. I can't remember if the inbetween sequences were anime or in-game visuals but the whole thing was REALLY boring and the CPU was cheap as hell, esp. the last boss. This one has an original story with cheap knockoffs that look exactly like characters in the original story. I heard the Saturn version is the exact same and not a true 2D fighter. I've also tried the 3D Fighting Force-esque beat-em-up with really shoddy hit detection (I'd mention the stiff controls too but all the 16-bit Hokuto No Ken fighters suffered from the same). This one is actually based on the original story. AFAIK, these were the only 32-bit Hokuto no Ken games and none of them were actual one-on-one fighters. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm probably just confusing the term "action fighter" here. Anyway, I always buy my current gen games brand new and buy older gen games used. I have no clue why except that I start to care less about "newness" as the system gets older. I too didn't care about spine cards at all when I started; all I wanted was a generally creaseless manual, unmarred disc, unbroken case, and any extras that came with the game. But the damn collector's crowd slowly turned me towards the dark side. I still don't care about spine cards on games under $40 (wow, exactly like you, dj) but if I'm paying high prices, I'd better be getting every single part of the package. And thankfully, I still don't care about obtaining reg cards although I keep everything in the games I buy nowadays whereas before I mailed the reg cards out or took them out or something. What's really stupid is that I don't plan on nor have ever sold any of my games; it's all part of my stupid pedantic obsessions. :( As for your new collection, very nice. Your games, with a few exceptions, are consistently below import values. However, an import-modded Saturn can generally be found for $50 so hopefully you got some more stuff from that.
After buying RS, I'm quitting and feel content for the rest of my life.
That's what I said after getting Langrisser Tribute. But I certainly haven't reached contentness yet...

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:59 pm

"...I've also tried the 3D Fighting Force-esque beat-em-up with really shoddy hit detection (I'd mention the stiff controls too but all the 16-bit Hokuto No Ken fighters suffered from the same). This one is actually based on the original story." Yep that's the one I was referring to. it wasn't one on one fighting more like you vs mob kind of fighthing... still all you do is walk around & beat the crap out of e'm - ala double dragon... :D Image mind you the control is just as iffy as DD... cheers p.s. and we got hokutonoken pachinko for PS2 - Wow! :P
My VGA Store

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:50 pm

Oh, I see. LOL. If I want more Hokuto no Ken style stuff, I'd rather go play Saturday Night Slam Masters (I don't recall its sequel ever coming to a console...) with characters created by the same designer. And yeah, all those old beat-em-ups had poor hit detection and rigid controls. IMO, they didn't really get smoothened up until Final Fight came out. I'm still not used to 3D beat-em-ups like the Shin Sangoku Musous...

Return to “Japanese Video Games”