The emulation thread...

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The emulation thread...

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:21 am

I've started playing some old school games in Emulation. Namely b/c I don't have an S-Video cable for my SFC, and I have to do a lot of pulling and poking to put the normal video cables into the big throughput box I have. That, and I'm too lazy to go digging up the cartridges all the time.

Anyways, I'm using SNESX w/ TV-output, and it looks pretty good. The only thing I've noticed, and I see this w/ a lot of emulators, and usually in platformers, there's some "tearing" for lack of a better word. I assume this has to do w/ the computer painting the graphics vertically and the screen scrolling horizontally.

Anyways, was hoping people could share their settings and whatnot here.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: The emulation thread...

Postby Recap » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:28 pm

Settings depend directly on you monitor. If you're using a TFT I cannot help you there, since some settings and referesh rates could damage your monitor. I've been using a CRT (19'') since day one and always went with scalines on, whatever the emu. With a CRT, you can prevent the tearing effect with the V-Sync and Triple Buffer options. Play with'em. ZSNES is probably a better choice for SFC emulation these days. You can select a pretty high resolution and 25% or 50% scanlines. Pretty neat RGB TV simulation, there.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:02 pm

I played w/ ZSnes last night. I'm pretty pleased with it, although the GUI takes a while to get used to. Resolution wise, I'm pleased, although I've not been able to change the scanline settings. Seems to either have them, or not have them. I'll check out the v-sync & triple buffer stuff. Thanks for the tips.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:37 pm

About emulation, anyone else played Progear with the latest Mame emu? Amazing horizontal manic shooter by Cave... my precious... :)
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:43 pm

About emulation, anyone else played Progear with the latest Mame emu? Amazing horizontal manic shooter by Cave... my precious... :)

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:49 pm

Darkchii wrote:About emulation, anyone else played Progear with the latest Mame emu? Amazing horizontal manic shooter by Cave... my precious... :)
Oh yeah, pretty nice one ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:16 pm

I just read about that over at Shmups. Works on MAME, huh? Gotta hunt down the ROM... unless someone wants to PM me and tell me where to find it. :)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:23 am

Still no Progear port, dammit...

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:39 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I just read about that over at Shmups. Works on MAME, huh? Gotta hunt down the ROM... unless someone wants to PM me and tell me where to find it. :)
:x I can't find the link to were I got it... I remember it was a japanese site with pics of progear.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:29 pm

Okay, I found it last night. Some of the up-to-date mame rom sites have it. Very good, although the sound isn't perfect. Honestly, I've played no other CPS2 games on my PC... only played a few on the Xbox, so can't say for certain. I know Progear isn't the most vibrantly colored game, but something seems a bit off. Will need to play w/ my Mame settings... I'm just now playing it after not touching it for years.

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:26 am

Your best bet for finding newly added roms is IRC IMO, or newsgroups if you're into that sort of thing :D I think Progear is awesome - I love the point tallying song. But jesustits, so many of the sprites in that game are pure fugly. I really, really, really, want Raiden Fighters to be emulated...but I think I hope in vain.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:54 am

Strychnine wrote: I really, really, really, want Raiden Fighters to be emulated...but I think I hope in vain.
SPI games are now very close to be fully decrypted: http://mamelife.blogspot.com Do hold your breath.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:28 pm

That'd be nice... those are sweet cracker games! Strych: IRC is good if you know where to look, but I always get sucked into some type of queue and whatnot. For MAME stuff, there are some sites that are worth checking out. For any other "gray" (or even "black") stuff, IRC is the only way.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:49 pm

Okay, next issue. Seems like some games in mame aren't quite as "vibrant" as they should be. I've yet to mess w/ the color settings, but probably will later. I understand the scanlines will have a psuedo-effect on the colors that I should probably offset, but wanted to get some pointers from anyone that had some experience. EDIT: And the answer is scaling. If you set MAME not to "stretch using hardware" or whatever, it's a MUCH clearer picture. Only problem is that it's noticeably smaller. :(

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:40 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Okay, next issue. Seems like some games in mame aren't quite as "vibrant" as they should be. I've yet to mess w/ the color settings, but probably will later. I understand the scanlines will have a psuedo-effect on the colors that I should probably offset, but wanted to get some pointers from anyone that had some experience. EDIT: And the answer is scaling. If you set MAME not to "stretch using hardware" or whatever, it's a MUCH clearer picture. Only problem is that it's noticeably smaller. :(
Stretch using hardware is what makes the games run full screen, indeed. It will filter the pic using your graphic card filters if do not disable the option. The most important parameter is the Zoom, thoe, since it will determine the resolution for the game display. The bigger the zoom, the bigger the resolution and, usually, the better the pic gets if you know how to add "good" scanlines. On the other hand, scanlines will always darken the pic, obviously, but you can alleviate it with the gamma settings, as you pointed. Scanlines will get distorted with SUH enabled, thoe, so you'll have to use the D3D effects and enable something like 50% scanlines from there, and play with the Prescale effect. These are the "good" scanlines. Assuming you have a good CRT and are using MAME32 Plus!, these are some examples of settings I used to use with my 19'' CRT some time ago: - Karnov: Stretch Using Hardware: 4:3; Zoom: 7; Effects: 50% scanlines; D3D Prescale: Auto; D3D scanlines: 48. - J. J. Squawkers: Stretch Using Hardware: 4:3; Zoom: 7; Effects: 50% scanlines; D3D Prescale: Auto; D3D scanlines: 48. - Surprise Attack: Stretch Using Hardware: 11:9; Zoom: 7; Effects: 50% scanlines; D3D Prescale: Auto; D3D scanlines: 48. Notice the settings may vary from game to game, since the original game resolution and pixel shape are different with each game. As a final note, let me recommend you to purchase an Arcade VGA card. MAME is really becoming the best tool to play arcade games now that old bugs are getting fixed, and you only can get a perfect picture with true low rez displays, something not possible with standard videocards. So, if you have an RGB TV or an arcade monitor, get an Arcade VGA and a PC just for MAME.

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:40 pm

Recap wrote:
Strychnine wrote: I really, really, really, want Raiden Fighters to be emulated...but I think I hope in vain.
SPI games are now very close to be fully decrypted: http://mamelife.blogspot.com Do hold your breath.
Wow, and two days later they actually were decrypted! BEST NEWS EVER.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:04 pm

Strychnine: I know... that is just nuts. I thought the same thing when I saw that news over at Shmups. :) Recap: Thanks for the info. I tried some settings at work, and at home. Different results as they have different cards. Home is what I'm worried about though. I found that NOT using D3D, and not stretching the screen and using 50% scanlines, so far, has given me the best picture. I only tested with Progear no Arashi though. I'm very impressed. Very crisp, and the color is what I remember it at the arcade. I'm on a TFT, atlhough I'm toying with getting an RGB monitor. Remember, I spent 7 years living in boxes... and even if I had one before the move, I would've likely sold it as lugging big stuff across the world is not my idea of fun. All in all though... I'm pretty impressed with the the fake low-res simulation. For console games, it might even be better since you're comparitively closer to your monitor than the TV. For manic shmups, I can only play them w/ my face a couple of feet away from the screen. Finally -- you play Karnov? I beat that at the arcade like a million years ago, but the last boss took me like 50 credits the first time I did it. What a bastard!

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:43 pm

Karnov was a tough cookie for sure...

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:38 am

There are 'two' Karnovs. Try the Japanese version. 15 kHz simulation is very good on some emulators, yep. We could say that systems like the SFC, the AES and, of course, the PCE are better in their emulation forms due to their bad (or lack of) RGB signal. TFTs are not the best thing for this purpose, thoe.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:03 pm

Are the two Karnov's actually different? I of course, played the English version as a kid. I know TFT's aren't the best, but is all I have to work with at the moment. For what it's worth though, my ViewSonic at home is looks way better than my Sony at work, which runs in the same resolution.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:12 pm

'Almost done': http://mamelife.blogspot.com/
Are the two Karnov's actually different? I of course, played the English version as a kid.
They are. Check the Japanese version.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:03 am

Okay, I figured why not try out GBA Emulation? I just don't play my handhelds that much b/c they hurt my hands when I play them more than an hour or so. The problem I've got with Visualboy Advance, is that if I leave the Render Mode in DirectDraw, it looks dips down to 70% on my laptop (2.2Ghz P4 w/ cheesy video card) and runs 100%, but doesn't look good on my 3.2Ghz P4 with X700 Radeon. If I change the Render Mode to OpenGL or Direct3d, it looks great, but VSynch (even though it's selected) looks like shit, and I get that "tearing" effect. Anyone got any suggestions?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:54 pm

MAME Team got it again. Latest Data East/Mitchell games will soon have full emulation. This includes Night Slashers, Charlie Ninja and Cannon Dancer. Image Joe & Mac Returns http://haze.mameworld.info/

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:05 pm

Very, very nice. Was it encryption that was the problem or just nobody writing the driver?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:09 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Very, very nice. Was it encryption that was the problem or just nobody writing the driver?
Protection/encryption which hasn't been totally figured yet. DE is well known for its evil methods.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”