The emulation thread...

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:27 pm

DC906270-BIL wrote:Hm, i dont know what you mean by ME being "compatible" with your video card, i used to use ME eons ago with my low res screens, all i did was set screen resolution within ME at 640 x 480, then you can set your video card to output RGB using Powerstrip. All you then need is a VGA-->RGB scart cable. This would work the same using ME or Ootake.

Some versions of ME did not support the Arcade VGA (320x224... aka 15khz). v0.99 did, while 1.00 did not, which was a pain in the cock since there were some game compatibility issues addressed in that small jump. 1.01 or whatever the last update was on allows for native AVGA support w/o having to cock around w/ any extenal software like power strip (which I could never get to work properly... pretty sure PC-Engine v1.00 forced an interlaced image if it detected anything below 640x480).

Honestly, I've never gotten Powerstrip to work, but haven't really needed to since all the emulators I use support 15khz natively in some form or another. Ootake didn't last I checked, but I admit: I only put about 5 minutes into it. I will try it again at some point, but I have two RGB modded Duo's here, so little use for PC-Engine emulation these days, ya know.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: The emulation thread...

Postby KNTain » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:48 pm

The latest MAME (143u7) emulates some Cave SH3 games! Sound isn't present, but otherwise, it seems pretty close.

man, just about out of fucking nowhere

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:38 pm

Yea, pretty major stuff. At least for me and the types of games I play.

Can anyone get them to run at 100%? I've used a half dozen versions of mame the past couple days and haven't noticed much of a difference. Futari and its various revisions run at about 85%, as does Galuda II, but others, like MMPork and the Ibara's, kind of crawl.

I really hope they don't stay at "almost there" status for ages like Radiant Silvergun. That game sucks so who cares, but Muchi Pork demands to be played!

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:57 pm

With the latest binary posted in the shmups forum thread (http://www.sendspace.com/file/66sc4c), I get 100% across the board, but I've got a pretty beastly CPU (i7-2600k). With the previous binary, I would slow down to 80-ish during certain scenes in Ibara as well as the high score boards in Mushihimesama and Espgaluda 2, so this seems significant. And apparently another fix was checked in after this second binary, so there should be a pretty significant speed difference in the next release.

I'm relieved that MAME is emulating these games so well. Last time I used Demul, I was kinda bummed out that it didn't have the timing options that MAME does. With MAME, I can just tell the game to run at my display's speed to eliminate lag/screen tearing, but a lot of emulators lack that option.

emphatic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby emphatic » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:58 am

Some sound has been emulated now, but no music yet, so no new binaries to try. This feels even faster than the PGM emu development. ;)

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:12 am

Actually, bam, working music:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qgl623

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:13 am

Okay, my emulation PC is being a whore. It had this before, then it was okay, and now it's sucking balls again. It *COULD* be HW related, but I recall this happening soon after I allowed a guy at work to install some bullshit so he could use the USB as a serial port to configure my work VPN FW. Lesson learned.

So, it seems that I can get Windows 7 Home Premium for $90 on Amazon (although they won't ship to me). Does anyone have any experience w/ this and the Arcade VGA? Honestly I'm fine with XP, but can't find my install disc, and it actually seems to be more expensive.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:13 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:So, it seems that I can get Windows 7 Home Premium for $90 on Amazon (although they won't ship to me). Does anyone have any experience w/ this and the Arcade VGA? Honestly I'm fine with XP, but can't find my install disc, and it actually seems to be more expensive.

Why pay $90 for Windows 7?
There are also OEM reinstalation discs available (costing a third) containing a productkey which you can apply on the 30 days test Version available for download.

They look like this:
http://www.amazon.de/Windows-Home-Premium-Reinstallations-DVD-multilingual/dp/B004BMPJZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348819478&sr=8-2

maybe this is of some help

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:47 am

Yeah, it is, although I can't get that one mailed to me, but I assume there's an option in a region I can get things.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 am

Dat nigga Shou delivers again http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... ber=297155

I immediately thought of that Tecmo(?) 3vs3 game (fighting street?) that was never released.

I love me some basketball though and Dunk Madness looks real damn cool. Love these fancy 2d sports games released at the end of the 2d era before all sports shit became ugly early era polygon shit.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:10 am

Macaw wrote:Dat nigga Shou delivers again http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... ber=297155

I immediately thought of that Tecmo(?) 3vs3 game (fighting street?) that was never released.

I love me some basketball though and Dunk Madness looks real damn cool. Love these fancy 2d sports games released at the end of the 2d era before all sports shit became ugly early era polygon shit.

Sorry, this isn't as exciting as something like Mad Dancing. lol

But, it is the spiritual sequel to Slam Dunk: Super Slams which was developed by the same team and utilizes a more advanced game system. One of the developers was actually talking about it on 2ch a few years back saying that he lamented the fact that it was never released even though they finished it, showed it at AOU and had flyers printed so interesting to find this North American region board.

I've got some more surprises that I'll dump over the next few weeks including CYBERSTERRA ;)
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 am

Emu screens of Dunk Madness: http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2012/10/0 ... e-madness/

Haha I have doubts Mad Dancing is ever gonna appear anywhere. Maybe one day an ex human employee will sell all his shit on YAJ.

And how the fuck do you have access to a Cybersterra board!? Now the thought of Vertexer being dumped one day doesn't just seem like a fantasy. Cybersterra would probably be on of the most high profile dumps for mame I can think of in years.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:08 am

next few weeks including CYBERSTERRA

Holy shit! Gotta get my Emu machine working. You've got some good karma cumming your way, for sure!

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:26 am

Come to think of it I still have no idea if Cybersterra is more a lightgun game or a racing game...

Also I mentioned this some time back, but its interesting to note that the attract mode of Vertexer says 'Project Sterra 2" Which is interesting because it uses 2d sprites with scaling and such, instead of polygons like Cybersterra.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:58 pm

It was really expensive....to be honest, I should do a fundraiser to release it lol

The game plays more like Starblade than anything else.

Vertexer is next on my list but the one lead I have isn't very cooperative...
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 am

Dude if you ever happen to need a shitton of cash for Vertexer don't hesitate to try and set up donations through the mame guys. After all they did raise enough money last year to pay for Wyvern F-0 and I'm sure even more people would donate for Vertexer.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:52 am

Yeah, no joke.
Was the Cyber Sterra board the infamous one on YJ for so long? Was it that price range?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:34 am

Macaw wrote:Dude if you ever happen to need a shitton of cash for Vertexer don't hesitate to try and set up donations through the mame guys. After all they did raise enough money last year to pay for Wyvern F-0 and I'm sure even more people would donate for Vertexer.

The way they do fundraisers means I don't keep the board so that wouldn't work for me. lol

I have access to a few other protos (Viewpoint 2064) that I can release if I had more funds...
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Yeah, no joke.
Was the Cyber Sterra board the infamous one on YJ for so long? Was it that price range?

Nope but still close to a new kit in price!
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:11 am

Quiz: Anyone think Taito produced any more than say, 5-10 Idya systems, and around the same amount of pcb's for cybersterra and vertexer? haha

I'm interested in what the pcb specs are like, being 4 stacks of Taito sexiness and all.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:53 am

Macaw wrote:Quiz: Anyone think Taito produced any more than say, 5-10 Idya systems, and around the same amount of pcb's for cybersterra and vertexer? haha

I'm interested in what the pcb specs are like, being 4 stacks of Taito sexiness and all.

I heard the production # is 50 for Cybersterra and Vertexer since the Idya didn't sell well and was mainly an attraction ride. I'm surprised some of the other games like Cave Speeder haven't shown up as it was one of the earlier releases.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:50 am

Was Cave Speeder a Laserdisc game? Seems to be the case from the flyer: http://www.system16.com/flyers/idya.jpg

Maybe Japanese people just don't really care about it compared to Cybersterra and Vertexer which are fully in the traditional taito style of the time in regards to the dot graphics and music.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 am

Macaw wrote:Was Cave Speeder a Laserdisc game? Seems to be the case from the flyer: http://www.system16.com/flyers/idya.jpg

Maybe Japanese people just don't really care about it compared to Cybersterra and Vertexer which are fully in the traditional taito style of the time in regards to the dot graphics and music.

Looks like an LD games from those pics but I thought the LD games like Pyramid Patrol were on Super D3boS.
become history

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Based on my LaserActive games spinecards', Pyramid Patrol was Super D3boS for sure. Though, Rocket Coaster also lists the machine, and Rocket Coaster was a cut and paste job using footage from various LD arcade games (from what I've heard anyway).
Stronger then your average deadite

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Holy sh..! Unbelievable. Good luck with Vertexer too. We're cheering on you Shou!

Return to “Japanese Video Games”