The emulation thread...

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: The emulation thread...

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Flyer link no worky for me.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Flyer here: http://i.imgur.com/V0ACa.jpg

Also the Korean game Spark Man has finally been properly emulated: http://www.lucaelia.com/mame.php/2012/T ... -Fire-Lady

Kind of a mess of both original and stolen artwork, and general weirdness as expected from Sun-A.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:48 am

So I submitted some other games recently:

Double Axle DX (US)
Hang Pilot (US)
Rabbit (Asia) - which is the same dump as they have so clarified that they're missing the infinitely rare JP release (I do have access to it)

I have JP Punchout in a box at home that I'll get to dumping some time...
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:01 pm

I never knew Rabbit existed in arcade form until I ran across the flyer. Any way, good work as usual!
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:31 pm

So reading the Try blog and some other Japanese sites it seems Dyna Gear was never actually released in Japan, only 'asia' (mostly Taiwan and Korea I', guessing). Can anyone confirm whether the Japanese version seen in the flyer here http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=f ... 05&image=2 (japanese text in the game instead of Engrish, can be seen in the screenshot with the blue dinosaur) actually has any distribution in Japan beyond a few prototypes no one will ever see? Is the version with Engrish the one that Try has?

Also does anyone know if the Korean Dyna Gear PCB's that drkitty has been throwing on ebay for the last few years are original, or just some kind of conversion? Heres a pic:

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:07 am

Macaw wrote:So reading the Try blog and some other Japanese sites it seems Dyna Gear was never actually released in Japan, only 'asia' (mostly Taiwan and Korea I', guessing). Can anyone confirm whether the Japanese version seen in the flyer here http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=f ... 05&image=2 (japanese text in the game instead of Engrish, can be seen in the screenshot with the blue dinosaur) actually has any distribution in Japan beyond a few prototypes no one will ever see? Is the version with Engrish the one that Try has?

Also does anyone know if the Korean Dyna Gear PCB's that drkitty has been throwing on ebay for the last few years are original, or just some kind of conversion? Heres a pic:

Most people in Japan have never heard of the game so safe to say, Asia only release. Not sure which on Try has but I'll check it out next time I am there. The Dyna Gear PCBs from Kitty are authentic.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:53 am

I've got a lead on a Vertexer...one of my contacts has 2 he says.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:08 am

That just seems awfully greedy.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:50 am

omg Shouuuuuuuuu!!!

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:26 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:That just seems awfully greedy.

This is the collector with over 4000 boards and a dedicated storage area. He was just talking about how he has 3 Metal Hawks (I've never seen one for sale) and generally buys 2 of each game.

I'm sweet talking him into letting me buy that extra Vertexer...
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:01 am

Shou wrote:This is the collector with over 4000 boards and a dedicated storage area. He was just talking about how he has 3 Metal Hawks (I've never seen one for sale)

Whoa

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:01 am

Shou wrote:
Gaijin Punch wrote:That just seems awfully greedy.

This is the collector with over 4000 boards and a dedicated storage area. He was just talking about how he has 3 Metal Hawks (I've never seen one for sale) and generally buys 2 of each game.

I'm sweet talking him into letting me buy that extra Vertexer...

Ask him if he'll sell me a HyperDuel. Been after that one since 2009.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:12 am

RadiantSvgun wrote:Ask him if he'll sell me a HyperDuel. Been after that one since 2009.

Not to be rude, but I'm not wasting my time with these kinds of requests. The raionale behind this is that the whole world may only get this one shot at getting a game and you want to request something which will take away from influence I have on this?

I've seen Hyper Duel for sale at least 4 times this year alone. I've owned it multiple times over the last decade.

Last Survivor has never been seen in Akiba and on auction twice by the same seller.

Cyber Sterra has never been seen in Akiba and was on auction once.

Vertexer has never been seen for sale by any remaining PCB shop in Japan and never on auction.

Please understand the difference.
become history

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:32 am

I was kidding, I don't know you well enough to ask something like that. Probably should have used a :p or something.

As far as HD, I haven't seen it for sale at all, I've been checking shmups and YAJ. All I find is the saturn version.

Edit: the last one I saw for sale was Yu-ting, he sold his 150 shipped to france.
Last edited by RadiantSvgun on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:35 am

Shou, do you know if there are any Idya machines around that are still operable?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:46 am

RadiantSvgun wrote:I was kidding, I don't know you well enough to ask something like that. Probably should have used a :p or something.

As far as HD, I haven't seen it for sale at all, I've been checking shmups and YAJ. All I find is the saturn version.

Edit: the last one I saw for sale was Yu-ting, he sold his 150 shipped to france.

Saw at least 2 on YAJ in the last year, 2 in stores. The Japan price is more like 350-400.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:47 am

zinger wrote:Shou, do you know if there are any Idya machines around that are still operable?

Some people in Japan went looking for one but no one has found one...
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Probably most got scrapped due to their size and the lack of the game pcb's?

Does the Taito HQ building have any cabinets being displayed or anything like that I wonder? Would be interesting to know if even they had any IDYA cabs once the 90's were over, or if they even still have any Cybersterra or Vertexer pcb's in possession.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:34 am

Macaw wrote:Probably most got scrapped due to their size and the lack of the game pcb's?

Does the Taito HQ building have any cabinets being displayed or anything like that I wonder? Would be interesting to know if even they had any IDYA cabs once the 90's were over, or if they even still have any Cybersterra or Vertexer pcb's in possession.

I'd be surprised if Taito had a lot of their old back catalog around given that they nearly went bankrupt twice and probably off'ed storage spaces and the like from their balance sheet in order to stay afloat but that said, I don't know anyone there now who could comment.

Sega definitely doesn't have anything beyond what their arcades currently own.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:14 am

A tasty update, I've located a Vertexer ;)

I've also found 3 other people who own Cyber Sterra!
become history

icycalm
#1 video game and art theorist in his world

Postby icycalm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 am

Excuse my ignorance on this matter but I find it incredible that anyone is able to make such claims as "Game X has NEVER been seen in Akiba and NEVER been sold at auction", etc.

Do you like google every game in existence two times a week for 30 years straight or something? Or is there something I am totally missing here?

I don't mean to be rude, but unless you are exaggerating on purpose and everyone's in on this except me, I just don't see how such claims are possible.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:49 am

Shou wrote:A tasty update, I've located a Vertexer ;)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way whats the mame status on cyber sterra? Not that I'm impatient or anything, just curious heheh :)

icycalm wrote:Excuse my ignorance on this matter but I find it incredible that anyone is able to make such claims as "Game X has NEVER been seen in Akiba and NEVER been sold at auction", etc.

Do you like google every game in existence two times a week for 30 years straight or something? Or is there something I am totally missing here?

I don't mean to be rude, but unless you are exaggerating on purpose and everyone's in on this except me, I just don't see how such claims are possible.

I'm sure Shou is just talking in terms of however long he's been checking auctions or the akiba stores as well as what other collectors have said, but of course back in 1994 maybe some pcb's were sold, but who really knows with games like this that were only produced in tiny quantities for specific attraction cabinets.

icycalm

Postby icycalm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:03 am

Meh, my fault, I am just a stickler for accuracy. All it takes to satisfy me is a couple of extra words. If it were me I'd have simply said "As far as I know it's never been seen in Akiba and never sold at an auction", etc.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:13 am

Also I have entire year sets of Gamest from 1994 and 1995. Its been a long time since I browsed through them all, but I don't recall seeing either Cyber Sterra or Vertexer listed in any of the stock list advertisements from the pcb stores, along with plenty of other now super obscure games (Big Fight and Cycle Warriors come to mind, although even those are easier to obtain than Cyber Sterra and Vertexer considering they surely had a lot more than just 50 pcbs produced)

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 am

Can't believe it Shou... This calls for a celebration!

Completely unrelated to the current discussion, but anyway, I've been meaning to properly sit down and play Psycho Dream after all these years, but there are tons of sound issues when I try to run it in ZSNES. It can't be that the game hasn't been properly emulated?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”