Let's Talk About Train Simulations

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Let's Talk About Train Simulations

Postby Strychnine » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:08 pm

WTF? Why. Discuss.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:42 pm

:D Laughed my balls off. You know, I have no idea why, but there are some people that are NUTS about trains. Looks at Densha de Go. HUGE in the arcades...drew in a lot of casual gamers. One of my old bosses was telling me about some train musuems that had a real simulator there. The kids would have to wait in line behind some crazy old guy wearing the whole uniform -- white gloves in all. :)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:03 am

I don't understand. I don't think I ever will. I've always thought train simulations were as questionable as say...simulations of being stuck in traffic...but just seeing that new PSP train sim...ugh. From what I gather they took video of actual rainlines, and then somehow incorporated it into a game? Is driving a train really that complex? Should I be worried about the next time I'm riding Amtrak that driving a train is not something a hideously drunk, blind man with no arms could NOT do? I imagine its slightly more complex than GO and STOP (maybe they've introduced "SLOW and SPEED UP" functionality)...but still....there are a lot of scary things that come from Japan...but this might be the most terrifying of all.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:30 am

It's not that complex, AFAIK. I've sat in the front car with a view into the "cockpit" many times. There's a lever and a few buttons at most. The trick though, is keeping the train steady to make it arrive there on time, and stopping at the right spot every time. Other than that... it's easier than a car I would imagine.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:04 am

Um, yeah. I've often wondered about the Denhsa de Go series. It seems to have been released on every console ever, with the train controller peripheral. Crazy. Can't work out what it is about trains that the Japanese are so fascinated by. But maybe they should release the games over here, with a Thomas the Tank Engine license......
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.'' Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

Return to “Japanese Video Games”