The missing Zeldas

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

The missing Zeldas

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:39 pm

I decided to go on a Google mission to find out what games were actually released for the BS Satellaview system, and came upon a Zelda mystery. Now I knew that 'BS Zelda no Densetsu' was released, a downloadable version of the Famicom original with updated graphics. But it seems there were another 3 BS Zelda games: * BS Zelda no Densetsu - Map 2. I think maybe this was just a remix/Master Quest style version of the original BS Zelda? * BS Zelda no Densetsu: Kamigami no Triforce. 'Triforce of the Gods', or 'A Link to the Past' to you and me..... Anyway this is just the normal version available for BS users, nothing special. * BS Zelda no Densetsu: Kodai no Sekiban. 'Ancient Stone Tablets' what seems to be an entirely new game, using the 'ALttP' gameworld. You collected 8 stone tablets instead of the pendants and crystals, and could choose to play as a boy or girl character. The game was available in weekly segments, with 2 dungeons per week. I'm not sure if the dungeons and bosses were vastly different or not, but if you missed the previous weeks d/load you could go get the items from an old man outside the blocked off dungeon! There's more information here, and an attempt to get the games working via emulation: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszelda.shtml So, was anyone lucky enough to be in Japan during the Satellaview's life time? Anyone have anymore information on these games, or even played them? But this started another mission; to find out about the DD Zeldas. Now it seems there were 2 Zeldas planned for the DD: Ura Zelda and Zelda Gaiden. Ura Zelda is basically 'Master Quest', but Gaiden was an actual expansion to OoT with an all new play area and new dungeons. No idea how complete this was before cancellation? Maybe Nintendo will continue in their recent Zelda generosity, and put the full Zelda Gaiden and Ancient Stone Tablets games on a bonus disk for the upcoming GC Zelda. It'll probably never happen, but It'd be the ultimate way to sell loooots of games......
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.'' Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:52 pm

Zelda Gaiden was never cancelled. It was simply renamed as Majora's Mask.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Yeah, that would be nice, but I doubt they will. I bet a video compliation of what was finished is about the best we could expect. I'm definitely no buff on this, but I think just about everything that was released is available in ROM form. Any BS Rom is prefixed with "BS" making them easy to find. I would like to know more about the Satelleview though. There was a set on YJ last year that I inquired about at Assembler. Nobody replied. The set finished for some 90,000 yen. I know some of the games on the cartridges were the three Chrono Trigger bonuses (Character LIbrary, racing minigame, and something else). Pricey set. Everything was boxed as well.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:54 am

Trying to find much in-depth info and complete BS games lists is an absolute nightmare. There's incomplete listings all over, and just basic info on what the BS-X was..... I've found this list, which seems to be more complete than others - http://www.classicgaming.com/nindb/bsx.shtml But it is missing info on 'Bun Bun Mario Battle Stadium', an Exciteabike remake featuring Mario characters. This again was delivered in weekly portions, with different characters and tracks for download: http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/meb.shtml There was also BS Dragon Quest, another Famicom rerelease with updated graphics: http://www.nintendoland.com/home2.htm?f ... _quest.htm Shocking that all these games are just sat there, having been played by very very few people, 5 - 10 years ago. To include these games as bonuses in new games would be great. This has got me going on a right old search around for info. Is anyone interested in anything else I dig up? I'm also intruigued by the Famicom Disk System too....
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.''
Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

Return to “Japanese Video Games”