[PS2] Shining Force Neo Interview Translation

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[PS2] Shining Force Neo Interview Translation

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:17 am

I translated and [url=http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/‾japangaming/bonus_info.php?type=translation&b=5&p=1]posted[/url] Sega Voice Volume 13, which is an interview with the producer of Shining Force Neo. Pretty interesting read... I'm still going to wait on picking up the game though.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:17 pm

Interesting read. I wish they had kept it a "force" style game though. I want a true sequel to Shining Force 3 dammit :x A Shining Force RTS would have been wierd.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:18 pm

Thanks for it. This is one of those few 3D games which has stolen my attention. A bit. Seems pretty well done and Neverland Company always means quality. A pity that the PS2 is a so crappy 3D hardware and that Diablo clones are so lame. GP, your website needs two things: Firstly, an update index page. It's hard to figure out which reviews/flyers/videos/whatever have been added with every update. Secondly, an text-only index page where you can look for and link to all the reviews and whatnot. Just my opinion. Keep the good work.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:56 pm

Yeah, I'm really kind of torn on this new SF game. As before, on principle alone I'm holding off. Tears I was not so big on, despite it being 2D, and there's two other games coming out the same day that I want... one that I've been waiting for forever, even if it is a weird remake. The game is out though... I should probably dig around and see what people are saying about it. As for the index page: The translations are actually sorted by date, so when you go to that page, the newest will always be in the top left-hand corner. For the flyers, I've actually added a search by date feature, which will remedy just this. Games which are added have a date field, but I've still not coded any way to search via date. What I will probably do first is just add a link in the updates page which will show everything I added on that date. Not the best way, but probably doable. EDIT: Check otu the [url=http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/‾japangaming/update.php]updates page[/url]. I added a link to the update made on 2005-03-25. Something like that is pretty easy. I'm not sure what you mean by the text-only index page, and how that would differ from the above. I do appreciate the input though!
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:31 am

Cool. That was exactly what I was asking for. Now I'll be sure I won't miss anything. With a text-only index I meant just this, a page (and only one) where every game review is listed by system in alphabetical order, so you can look which games you do have in the DB quickly. Adding which ones do have hi-res cover scans would rock, also. The search feature is neat, but only if you are looking for one specific title. Let me suggest one more thing: Enlarge the resolution of your game flyer scans. They're pretty unique in the 'net and it's a pity that they're so small; sometimes, its's impossible to read the text they have.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:59 am

Recap wrote:Cool. That was exactly what I was asking for. Now I'll be sure I won't miss anything.
I'm working on something better for the flyers section. Right now, the query I pass to the DB shows everything added after the date supplied in the URL. I need to make something that will search for specific dates as well. Might have that done today.
With a text-only index I meant just this, a page (and only one) where every game review is listed by system in alphabetical order, so you can look which games you do have in the DB quickly.
Ah, IC. You know, I had an advanced search page on the old site (the horizontally-laid out page.) I've always meant to put it back up (it's very easy) just never got around to it. With that, if you leave the title and system blank, it'll show the whole db. As for putting all that on one page, that might be a bit taxing on some people -- especially those on dialup. There are over 1000 games listed here. That would be massive. If I did it, I'd have to make a user-defined page count I think.... oh, shit. I see what you mean. No thumbnail. Not a bad idea actually. Just like title and system? I'm actually currently toying with redesigning the table that holds the games info. When I first made the site, I wasn't so good with MySQL. I still kinda suck at it, but am getting better. As such, if I break it up into two tables, I could in theory have multiple writeups per game (IE -- from different people). Would make it possible for other people to post their own comments (after I of course checked them for trolling comments). The problem is all the data is in the database. I would have to script something to dump it to files, then reinsert it. Not hard, but Gamespy doesn't give out shell accounts, which means you have to execute everything through the browser. Kind of a pain. :/ This right now seems to be the most fruitful thing for the site. The list you refer to would come after this, since that table would be completely different.
Adding which ones do have hi-res cover scans would rock, also. The search feature is neat, but only if you are looking for one specific title.
This isn't that hard. There are no flags in the database on what each pics resolution is. When the script loads, it checks the resolution size. If it's larger than what's displayed, then the "view high res" link is there. If it's not, no link. There's a problem w/ some SFC games though. I was thinking of rescanning those anyway, as I own about 40-50 of them.
Let me suggest one more thing: Enlarge the resolution of your game flyer scans.
Yeah, they're not so good for reading. The reason I went with the size I did is that they fit that way within the layout. Also thinking of those dialup users. If I did this, it would probably be only some of them. It takes forever to scan them in at the resolution their in already.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:19 am

Gaijin Punch wrote: As for putting all that on one page, that might be a bit taxing on some people -- especially those on dialup. There are over 1000 games listed here.
What about splitting it into some different pages, one per system? Being image-free lists, I don't see it being a problem for those on dial-up. The multiple write-up's per game is a nice idea. That could motivate me to write something more for your site. Let's see if I find the time to update and upload again my site before, thoe. ^ ^;

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:19 am

Recap wrote:What about splitting it into some different pages, one per system? Being image-free lists, I don't see it being a problem for those on dial-up.
Yes, this is a good idea. I will see if I can hack something out.
The multiple write-up's per game is a nice idea. That could motivate me to write something more for your site. Let's see if I find the time to update and upload again my site before, thoe. ^ ^;
Yeah, I'm hoping maybe it can draw other people in. I would need to learn how to write cookies and shit though. I would basically make it possible to log in to the front page, and only allow registered forum readers to post. That might keep down on the "this game sucks shit!" posts that are enevitable. Would also give people a name to match with their writings. The flip side to that is that I can merge the auction assistant with the games database. The downside is that it's a good few days of work to get it done. The other bad part is that I'll still need the link to the YJ assistant, as I will never have a complete listing (scan + review) for any system I'm sure.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”