[PS2] Ys IV Mask of the Sun Website

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[PS2] Ys IV Mask of the Sun Website

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:35 am

Taito has opened the Ys IV: Mask of the Sun Official Website. Not a lot of info posted yet, but owrth keeping an eye on.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

aerithhime
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby aerithhime » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:41 am

Thanks for the link, I might try this one. Anyword about a Ys V remake yet? That's the only Ys game I've played previously I hope they remake it too.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:55 am

I'm sure it's coming... just be patient. Might be 6-8 months down the road, but seeing as how they remade III with it's bad reputation...
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:55 pm

PS2 Ys III sorta messed up one of the best tunes present in all 3 previous console iterations of Ys III: the opening city's tune. Before, I felt it was perhaps the best city tune of any game due to how melodramatic it sounded. The PS2 version contains so much percussion to keep beat that it sounds more like a pop tune now; still great but not spectacular. Many of the tunes have been remixed with too much additional tunes to not sound as sound as it used to but rather as happy dance tracks. Disappointing...

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:00 am

Ganelon wrote:PS2 Ys III sorta messed up one of the best tunes present in all 3 previous console iterations of Ys III: the opening city's tune. Before, I felt it was perhaps the best city tune of any game due to how melodramatic it sounded. The PS2 version contains so much percussion to keep beat that it sounds more like a pop tune now; still great but not spectacular. Many of the tunes have been remixed with too much additional tunes to not sound as sound as it used to but rather as happy dance tracks. Disappointing...
So yeah, tune-wise disappointing. What about the rest of game, please? A New Theory video within this TV program: http://www.up-rise.tv/game/index.html (it's not hard to find it even without kana literacy, but requires a good connection to view). Ys V remake was confirmed by Taito months ago, btw. And does every game need [url=http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/‾japangaming/forum/viewtopic.php?t=599]separate threads[/url] to announce the news?

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:25 am

Well, naturally, every area in the game looks a hell of a lot better and the sprites move very fluidly (Adol doesn't look like he's doing the robot anymore). Controls feel a bit better but a huge detraction is that the game doesn't let you hold the attack button indefinitely anymore. Not any new stuff to do that I noticed. Basically, OK for fans of the game who don't mind yet another 5 hour Ys game. Won't be much fun for anybody else. I'm heavily biased towards Ys due to their music (because everybody knows the gameplay is generally crappy and the graphics are average) and I'm afraid the PS2 soundtrack just disappointed me.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:47 am

OK. Thanks. I suppose I'll buy it once the price drops to $20, which seems to be not far seeing how Play-Asia's doing these days. I don't think Ys games have crappy gameplay or average visuals, thoe. They were superb little games when they were created (Ys VI is still one of the prettiest Windows games, if you ask me) which have suffer from subpar port/remake jobs most of the time.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:56 am

Wow, Play-Asia already ran out of their advertised $18 Samurai Spirits 0, eh? Yeah, it'd be best to wait for a price drop. The game doesn't seem to be going anywhere... Great that you actually enjoy Ys's gameplay and visuals. For me, only its atmosphere appeals to me and does so to a great degree, and the generally fantastic music is a huge part of that.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:43 am

And does every game need [url=http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/‾japangaming/forum/viewtopic.php?t=599]separate threads[/url] to announce the news?
If it's newsworthy, and I wanted it shown on the front page, then I make a new thread. I usually just use old threads, but didn't in this case. The only other option is to tweak the time the thread was made, but that seems way to much of a hassle.

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:41 am

Yeah...separate threads makes perfect sense to me. This isn't the shmups forum, there aren't 10 bajillion people posting "If your girlfriend was a shmup would you 1CC her?" and "What's your favorite cloud formation is a shmup?"*. And thus separate threads drives activity on this board more than if there was no discernable activity to outside viewers (because they only see one or two recent, activie topics). I think its nice to have separate threads because I can get information that I am personally interested in, quickly (not to mention, how on earth are you going to find all these things if they're buried in some non-descript thread?). *sadly I wish I was kidding about that last one...I'm not.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:01 am

Strychnine wrote:"If your girlfriend was a shmup would you 1CC her?"
LMAO :D

Return to “Japanese Video Games”