Nintendo's IQue

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Nintendo's IQue

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:04 pm

So shifting slightly from Japan gaming to Chinese gaming.... Has anyone actually got an IQue? Seems very little info available, other than Lik-Sang taking one apart. But the system plays N64, SFami and Fami games, yes? But the only way I can get the games is to download them from an IQue Kiosk, which are all in China, yes? Damn. How is the unit, and how does it play? Surely with the current trend for these MD pad Radica releases, Nintendo would jump on the opportunity for a worldwide release?
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.'' Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:45 am

You would think so, but doing something rational just wouldn't be Nintendo-ish, now would it? There was chat about it over at Assembler. Apparently one unit runs about what most people make in a month. Gotta remmeber -- most people in China are dirt poor. Considering how the Japanese have embraced retro gaming, and aren't afraid to show it, I'm surprised that Sega is the only one that's really tried to cash in. I mean, they've done the handheld things, Sega Ages 2500 series, and have done TWO commercial emulators (one for the DC called the Dream Library which played MD and PC-Engine games and the other one now for the PC... forgot the name... not GiriGiri though). The prices they want for the service aren't so good, but it's a start. They were beta testing MegaCD games some time ago. I should check on that.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:16 pm

Oohh, Mega CD. But it's probably emulation and sub-Gens quality at that, huh? How much does the iQue cost anyway. IIRC, PS2s sell there for full price; but console games aren't hot at all in China.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:07 am

Well, the emulator was developed by Sega, and they're charging for time-limited roms (images in MegaCD's case) so I'm going to say that it's probably better than Gens. The upside being that there aren't a lot of places to download MegaCDs...Japanese ones at that. The dowside is they probably don't offer the whole library.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

ArnoldRimmer83
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ArnoldRimmer83 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:26 am

It isn't too surprising that Nintendo wouldn't embrace the idea, considering they have already proven they can sell their old games for the same price as a brand new GBA game to gullib... I mean loyal fans.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”