[ETC] Atlus losing money

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[ETC] Atlus losing money

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 10, 2005 3:54 am

All Japanese game developers seem to be losing money hand over fist these days, and now Atlus is no different. On 05.09 they Atlus announced that their earnings for the first quarter of 2005 were a net loss of 23 million yen. Previous quarter was a gain of 37 million yen. They attribute this not only to disappointing game sales, but also poor growth in Print Club products. Their seven titles for PS2 and 3 titles for the GBA all fell below initial expectations, and their Shin Megami Tensei Online service was delayed. Marketing expenses rose, and eventually resulted in losses. They also announced that they were requesting 30 employees to take voluntary leave. They will make further restructuring changes this quarter, and will also be publishing online games not only from their own studios, but from Korean developers as well.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue May 10, 2005 7:06 am

Is any JP game company gaining or maintaining money then?

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Tue May 10, 2005 8:14 pm

It seems that if your game company isn't spewing out endless sequels you don't make much money. In the US and also recently here in Canada I have seen games getting reduced to the $5-$10 bargain bin faster than ever. You have to wonder how long company's can keep doing this.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 pm

A lot of them will eventually get weeded out. The small dev-houses from the 16-bit era either got huge (Square) or at least really big, or got swallowed up. I assume this will happen again now with the jump from 32-bit and early current gen to the next gen. Atlus is one of those companies that has put out some really good, not-so-mainstream games that cater to connesuier's rather than dickheads that wear that pants hanging halfway off their ass and can't string a sentence together...unfortunately, the kind of people that current gen developers are aiming their games at. Seems like every hobby I get goes commercial and then sucks.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Thu May 12, 2005 12:54 am

Gaijin Punch wrote: Seems like every hobby I get goes commercial and then sucks.
Isn't that the truth. :)

Return to “Japanese Video Games”