[ETC] E3 Live streams (complain about next gen here!)

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[ETC] E3 Live streams (complain about next gen here!)

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 17, 2005 4:37 am

Gamespot is streaming the latest and greatest from E3. The 2 hour Sony press conference is there, and is pretty impessive if you can get through the Sony big guns fluffing it up. I think the coolest of any of them is the MS Gundam tech demo. Hopefully Bandai will actually make a good Gundam game for it.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Tue May 17, 2005 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Igo
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igo » Tue May 17, 2005 8:09 am

It seems that Sony's men are distress with their prompter and english accent :D . The PS3 design looks like my toaster (or a DUO RX), it's a bit peculiar... Xbox reminds me an air purifier, PS3 my toaster... What about Revolution now :roll:
I think the coolest of any of them is the MS Gundam tech demo.
Hopefully Bandai will actually make a good Gundam game for it
I agree with that, but One Year War wasn't that bad :) The MSG demo is very spectacular, but i'm fed up with 0079 licence. I hope that "Destiny" licence will use these capacities and be as impressive, because Mecha design in this serie is simply wonderfull. Image The controllers are awful Anyway thanks a lot for the link ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 17, 2005 10:01 am

No problem on the link. My opinions so far: -PS3 design is so laughable I can't believe they're going with it. I mean, WTF? This HAS to be the biggest joke in the history of ugly shit. -PS3's demos look more impressive to me. Content-wise anyway. Can't really tell graphically although it's pretty amazing. -The fact that Kutaragi and the other not-so-great English speakers spoke shows a more genuine approach. That takes balls on a personal level. Gotta give them credit there. -PS3 design sucks. -Xbox design is actually good, although I thought they'd strive to make it even smaller since their last one was such a clunker. -Line up (even Lost Odyssey) seems kind of meh. -They say they have all these JPN developers, yet (big surprise) Tecmo is the only one that had a really impressive demo ready. Most people won't think so, but DoA needs a more technical engine, and less jiggling. -Dont' like their key speakers. Sounds too much like an informercial. -World-wide simultaneous release is good. I'm keeping tabs on horse shit quotes at E3 in this thread at Assembler. Message #32 to be exact. Nintendo press conference airs in the morning. At like 5AM my time, so I won't see it until I wake up and probably go for a jog first anyway.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

icycalm
#1 video game and art theorist in his world

Postby icycalm » Tue May 17, 2005 10:11 am

I wonder if theres a chance the PS3 will be redesigned. And that awful-looking controller.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue May 17, 2005 11:28 am

Gaijin Punch wrote: My opinions so far: -PS3 design is so laughable I can't believe they're going with it. I mean, WTF? This HAS to be the biggest joke in the history of ugly shit. -PS3 design sucks. -Xbox design is actually good, although I thought they'd strive to make it even smaller since their last one was such a clunker.
I'm perfectly surprised coming from you and perfectly discrepant with these quotes. I like the PS3 desing, and, while it could have been better, can't see how it could be "laughable" at any moment, honestly. But the 360... seriously, it's tragic. Its front panel is a wannabe stylistic joke. Worse than any chinese/korean attempt one could think of. This illustrates how's the gaming industry - if you want art and style, look for it in Japan.

icycalm

Postby icycalm » Tue May 17, 2005 11:51 am

I think this illustrates how divided we all are on this subject. I love the Xbox design and, while I don't hate the PS3's design, I just think it looks as unremarkable as any DVD player on the market...

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Tue May 17, 2005 4:59 pm

I think the PS3 design is pretty shite as well. The only thing that makes me forgive it though is if I get drunk and squint it looks almost like a Duo-R which is damn sexay. Why is the PS3 logo running down the middle like that, with that orientation? That's just odd and ugly. And the controller? I seem to recall some third party making controllers like that for the Dreamcast...and well, everyone said they were terrible. Pelican probably The Xbox is pretty fugly too - it looks like they just glued a bunch of knobs and buttons on random places. It will also crush eight Japanese Schoolkids if it falls down. Not even their hugging pillows can save them from their fate. Now - the Revolution - the Revolution is beautiful. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140623 It's already having my chidlren so hands off.

Igo
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igo » Tue May 17, 2005 6:11 pm

Is that a sign or something ? Image Image ...

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 17, 2005 6:28 pm

This illustrates how's the gaming industry - if you want art and style, look for it in Japan.
A Japanese design firm in Osaka co-designed in the Xbox 360. ;) I don't think it's the greatest thing out there. At first I wasn't so big on it, but after seeing the PS3, it looks a lot better. As stated before, the PS3 looks like a souped-up DVD player, and those I do not like... at all. I don't know aobut Europe but that shitty fake silver plastic crap is all over the place here, and is tacky. It has Target written all over it. EDIT: And in comes Nintendo. By far the best of the three. http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/615/615008/imgs_1.html Sleek, inconspicious, small and best of all, doesn't make me think it should be dispensing sanitary napkins. Here's what pops into my head when I see each of the new current gen systems. P3: Someone's vision of the future 10 years ago Xbox: Ipod Revolution: New Also worth noting is that the Revolution will reportedly be compatible with games from 8-bit to 64-bit (not sure about Gamecube) presumably downloadable. I wonder if that means it'll output a low res signal.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Tue May 17, 2005 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm

Is that a sign or something ?
Sony owns the font since Spider-Man's a Sony Pictures-produced movie. And now everybody's speaking about it and has retained the logo in their heads. Not a bad move, commercially speaking.
A Japanese design firm in Osaka co-designed in the Xbox 360.
They did it well satisfying Microsoft's tastes, it seems. That design is anything but Japanese.
he PS3 looks like a souped-up DVD player, and those I do not like
Do you like the PCE Duo?
EDIT: Sorry Recap. I hit the "EDIT" button instead of "Quote" and wound up flogging your message. It wasn't saved in my cache for some reason either so I tried to reassemble. You'll likely need to edit it yourself though.
No prob. Now done.
Last edited by Recap on Tue May 17, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 17, 2005 7:45 pm

They did it well satisfying Microsoft's tastes, it seems. That design is anything but Japanese.
I beg to differ. I edited my post. Read the part about PS3 = DVD players. Japanese aren't always the best when it comes to aesthetic designs though. When I moved to Japan in 1998, GOLD (yes, GOLD) stereo components were the skin of choice. In fact, those little mini-tower desktop computers (that look far more like a 360 than a PS3) sell like hotcakes in Japan. Trust me, average Japanese will warm up to the 360 before the PS3... good thing they're label-whores.
Do you like the PCE Duo?
Yeah, but it's a retro console. I don't want a current gen console looking like state-of-the art in 1990.

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Tue May 17, 2005 8:04 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote: Also worth noting is that the Revolution will reportedly be compatible with games from 8-bit to 64-bit (not sure about Gamecube) presumably downloadable. I wonder if that means it'll output a low res signal.
Yup. http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=02ea1a40-ac09-4cdf-9548-91e5a4e78746&page=currentNews See the entry "The Secret Weapon". Someone help me pick out names for our children. Though I'm sold - I worry that the early speculation that the Revolution is only 2-3 times as powerful as the GC, versus 12-15 for the Xbox 360, and ‾30 times more powerful for the PS3 vs. PS2. Granted, I don't care - I don't need to see the sweat on 50 Cent's face as he busts caps and looks hard for 12 year olds, but I can see that a lot of troglodytes will of course (It's eXtreme! It's Street! YaY). However I do think making the back-catalogue available is damn interesting in terms of the target market - with gamers primarily interested who are 20+ at this stage, being the ones most likely very interested.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue May 17, 2005 8:12 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote: I beg to differ. I edited my post. Read the part about PS3 = DVD players. Japanese aren't always the best when it comes to aesthetic designs though. When I moved to Japan in 1998, GOLD (yes, GOLD) stereo components were the skin of choice. In fact, those little mini-tower desktop computers (that look far more like a 360 than a PS3) sell like hotcakes in Japan. Trust me, average Japanese will warm up to the 360 before the PS3... good thing they're label-whores.
I personally think just the opposite - the 360 won't sell in Japan due to its design. They're also design-whores.
Do you like the PCE Duo? Yeah, but it's a retro console. I don't want a current gen console looking like state-of-the art in 1990.
Do you really think Duo's design is obsolete now?
I wonder if that means it'll output a low res signal.
Be sure it won't. GCN is also compatible with GBA games and see how it is.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 17, 2005 9:21 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote: I beg to differ. I personally think just the opposite - the 360 won't sell in Japan due to its design. They're also design-whores.
I agree. iPod (iBook, etc.) has sold tons in Japan, likely on it's look alone. They are eating it up. No doubt Microsoft new this when they came up with design. They are label whores first though.
Very much so. Let me just put it this way -- I think round is the way peope invisioned the future in the 80's and 90's. I very much like 90 degree angles.
Be sure it won't. GCN is also compatible with GBA games and see how it is.
I wouldn't be sure of anything at this point. Being compatible with GBA games through the GBA player and having an entire library of some what.... 2000 old games is different. I wouln't bet a dollar either way... although I won't be surprised either way. I don't know why anyone would get TOO excited over this. It's not like you can play your old cartridges on it... you can essentially download these games already.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue May 17, 2005 10:21 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Very much so. Let me just put it this way -- I think round is the way peope invisioned the future in the 80's and 90's. I very much like 90 degree angles.
Image So?
I wouldn't be sure of anything at this point. Being compatible with GBA games through the GBA player and having an entire library of some what.... 2000 old games is different.
Not really. Making graphic chips to work with both, low res and hi res is more expensive. The amount of different 15 Hz modes they'd have to put there if they want compatibilty with every previous Nintendo console would be stupidly high. They just need to use filters today to make the people think everything is visually perfect. I don't think that even the PS3 will use true low res for its PS games compatibilty. And I don't think every game in the FC, SFC, GB, GBA, N64 catalogues will be available, either. Just the Nintendo-published and some others they get the rights at the moment.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 17, 2005 10:31 pm

So?
Round does not equal concave.
And I don't think every game in the FC, SFC, GB, GBA, N64 catalogues will be available, either
I'm sure they'll do something along the lines of the Dream Library (Sega's thing in Japan). I wonder if they'll make the content time-limited though, like Dream Library's was.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue May 17, 2005 10:45 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:
So?
Round does not equal concave.
And it does "convex"? 'Cause I can't see anything perfectly round in the PS3 besides the controller's buttons... The 360 has a pretty prominent round thingy in its front, on the other hand. (Not to speak about its name...).

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 18, 2005 12:01 am

It's just that whole weird "shell" feel it has to it. I just don't see anything next-gen about it. Make no mistake, I don't think the Xbox design is anything to hail as off the charts, but I still think they hit the nail on the head better than Sony.

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Wed May 18, 2005 3:43 am

I think next-gen, and in general design is moving towards minimalist, clean integration. I don't think that rounded is necessarily bad - but I think that in order to integrate any console, making the top of the system curved is a bad idea (can't stack) - but maybe that's part of Sony's plan. In the sense that by making it unstackable, it has to be on top? :roll: Maybe I'm reaching a bit. However, although I dislike Macs as a platform - I can't deny that Apple's design sense is spot on. I think if they went more towards that direction, it would be more..."next-gen"-y (although, who is to define that anyway?). HOW BOUT THAT GAMEBOY MICRO THOUGH? Clearly not for us who cramped up on the SP. Instead of re-designing the SP (which already was great looking) I wonder if nintendo would gift upon us a less fugly DS (and pipedreaming: with bigger screens)....

aerithhime
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby aerithhime » Sat May 21, 2005 8:39 pm

Out of the next gen console designs I like the revolution the best. The PS3 and Xbox 360 designs were disapointing I'm not crazy about all that silver and the curves. The PS3's controller looks like a boomerang from outer space to me. I wish they would have stuck with the original version it's good and functional. I couldn't believe that Gameboy Micro, I think it's kind of pointless. I don't think a screen that small can be enjoyable.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:33 pm

Brandon points at IC that Gamasutra has now an interview with the San Francisco-based Astro Studios, "the people responsible for the design of the Xbox 360". Seems that the Japanese Hers Experimental Design Laboratory was just a "consulting firm": http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050712/sheffield_01.shtml Makes sense.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:43 am

That whole accessorizing crap will still be a big hit. I doubt enough to pull the system into fantastic numbers, but Mac basically marketed the eMac on this exact same design and sold loads. I think they outsold the US at first. Only fair that someone else makes some money off of it.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”