[NDS] Akumajo Dracula Sougetsu no Juujika

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:54 pm

I'm not such a big fan of any of the GBA games' music. Somehow they lack the awesome whistle-along quality found in RoB, SotN and other older games. However I think the best OST of all Castlevanias is that of Lament of Innocence for PS2. Pretty much the only thing that wasn't dissappointing about that game.

Turrican
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Turrican » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:07 pm

Dais wrote: Turrican - Don't forget Vampire Killer 2K2 and the awesome game over theme.
Right, thanks for the reminder. Vampire Killer 2k2 isn't really in-game, more like a neat extra. I loved that the game over tune was a reprise of the two Dracula Densetsu, it seemed appropriate somehow.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:52 pm

G-Para states that the Kantou region of Japan will have a demo conventions at various stores on 07.10. Sekimaru Denki Game One in Akihabara and Bic Camera Shinjuku Nishiguchi branch seem to be the two most centrally located.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Turrican
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Turrican » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:53 pm

With actual demo carts? If so, it'll become a valuable collectible...

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:44 pm

Well, they don't hand them out. You just get to play it in store. If someone steals one, yes -- very valuable. :)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:59 pm

Anybody hear anything about preorder goodies for the Japanese version yet? Something along the lines of the Aria of Sorrow artbook, or the PS2 limited edition boxed set.

Soma
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Soma » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:46 pm

citcelaid wrote:Anybody hear anything about preorder goodies for the Japanese version yet? Something along the lines of the Aria of Sorrow artbook, or the PS2 limited edition boxed set.
Hi citcelaid. I pre-orded the game last week and I ask them but I was told at the present time there was no pre-order items but said they would tell me by email if any is announced by Konami.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:49 am

Where did you preorder? Play-Asia?

Soma
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Soma » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:32 pm

citcelaid wrote:Where did you preorder? Play-Asia?
I pre-ordered it from www.jpngames.co.uk It is not a very big site but the owner is very friendly and helpful. I have mostly been buying my new games from here for about 2 years now. Not too long ago I got my Castlevania Chronicles for PS1 from here which is quite rare now and also Blue Submarine No.6 for Sega Dreamcast.

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am

I really want to import this game as I cannot wait for the Oct. US release date...but...I know if I do they're going to add something or tweak something for the US release which will make me insanely jealous. Like what they did with Astroboy. Bastards.

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:26 pm

With the Official Release a few days away...has anyone seen any Japanese reviews yet? (Assuming magazines got advanced copies).

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:10 pm

Strychnine wrote:With the Official Release a few days away...has anyone seen any Japanese reviews yet? (Assuming magazines got advanced copies).
Famitsu gave it 33/40 (8,9,8,8). Haven't read any other reviews, since there was never a question whether or not I would get the game anyway. :)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:52 pm

I was debating picking having it mail ordered. Wouldn't make sense though, unless I was DYING to play it on the plane, which I'm not. I'll try some GBA RPG to kill the 8 hour flight.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:20 am

Yeah, just buy it in Japan, then you can play it on the plane ride back. :)

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:35 am

citcelaid wrote:
Strychnine wrote:With the Official Release a few days away...has anyone seen any Japanese reviews yet? (Assuming magazines got advanced copies).
Famitsu gave it 33/40 (8,9,8,8). Haven't read any other reviews, since there was never a question whether or not I would get the game anyway. :)
Heh, I'm getting the game irregardless as well. I'm mostly interested in reviews because I can't get enough media of the game. I'm really wanting to import it, but as I said in my above post - I'm afraid the US version will get additional content or something that would make it better to wait.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:47 am

How much time is inbetween the two ports? 2 months? I doubt there'll be anything different, other than an English translation of the almost certainly thin story.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:12 am

Just ordered my copy! Play Asia says it will ship within twenty-four hours, eventhough the official release date is on the 25th... hmmm :roll: Anyway, also getting a graphite black DS with it. Not sure whether (apart from Akumajo) it will be a good investment though. Don't really see that much other software that deserves my interest. (Although Lunar might change that.) EDIT: Apparently stores in HK are selling it already, as the game has already been shipped to retailers, and only in Japan are they restricted to sell from 8/25. http://www.hkdreamcast.com/cgi-bin/free/lb/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?forum=19&topic=2466&show=0

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:27 am

I'm sure the HK resellers are restricted as well... they just never follow the rules.

Soma
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Soma » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:16 pm

Strychnine wrote:I really want to import this game as I cannot wait for the Oct. US release date...but...I know if I do they're going to add something or tweak something for the US release which will make me insanely jealous. Like what they did with Astroboy. Bastards.
I think it will be ok, I sometimes worry about things like that as well but Koji Igarashi said all 3 versions are finished. Have a look here http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5356 A member there said It's Castlevania's 20th anniversary next year, maybe Konami will make a collection pack or something. :)

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:31 pm

Soma wrote:A member there said It's Castlevania's 20th anniversary next year, maybe Konami will make a collection pack or something. :)
That would be neat. Mainly I would like to see the arcade Akumajo Dracula (Haunted Castle) finally get a home port. :)

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:58 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I'm sure the HK resellers are restricted as well... they just never follow the rules.
Like Lik-Sang getting sued for releasing the PSP early...

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:22 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:How much time is inbetween the two ports? 2 months? I doubt there'll be anything different, other than an English translation of the almost certainly thin story.
Soma wrote: I think it will be ok, I sometimes worry about things like that as well but Koji Igarashi said all 3 versions are finished. Have a look here http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5356 A member there said It's Castlevania's 20th anniversary next year, maybe Konami will make a collection pack or something. :)
I guess I was mostly thinking of the Astroboy release, which I'm told is much better for the US version. However that was eight months+ apart, so your point very much stands. As well as the 3 versions being completed.

Dais
Resident Fuck You
Resident Fuck You

Postby Dais » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:44 pm

Strychnine wrote: I guess I was mostly thinking of the Astroboy release, which I'm told is much better for the US version. However that was eight months+ apart, so your point very much stands. As well as the 3 versions being completed.
"Much" is a bit strong, but the game was definitely tweaked for the better (great translation too), with some new enemies and stage layouts. FFTA also got some notable changes in localization - damage/healing limitation laws were removed,the save music was changed for some inexplicable reason, and they made several of the major NPCs into bonus characters. There's even a few additional quests for them, and a minature new-ending if you complete the new quest gotten for getting all 300 regular missions complete. Of course, Squaresoft sometimes does the same thing for their games, but then they turn around and sell an EVEN BETTER version to Japan (the most annoying being Kingom Hearts: Final Mix).

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:54 pm

Well, I got my DS and Akumajo today. Played for about 2 hours now. What I can say so far is: - Gameplay is pretty much like Aria of Sorrow. - The music is real nice!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:14 am

Yeah, I went ahead and picked it up. I wasn't going to but I went out for lunch today with a guy from work (good Mexican food -- was pretty impressed) and had a few margaritas. I drove, so wanted to walk around a bit to wear the effects of the alcohol off. There was a Toy's n Joys right across the street. They had a mixed bag of things. Their new games are a pretty over-priced if you're... well... not used to paying so much (I spent $54.95 on this one) but hey, you get it in your hands then, so who cares, right? My impressions? So far, I really like it. There's not too much "touching" going on... it's not a huge part of the gameplay so far, although you will need the pen on some parts. One of the abilities allows you to destroy little blocks, but you touch them w/ the stylus. As Citcelaid said, it's a lot like Aria of Sorrow (you can even transfer your data from the GBA cart, which I do not have, unfortunately). The graphics are of course, very lovely 2D with some great parallax effects. The game starts off outdoors in a neighborhood -- something you never see in the series. There's some new concepts that aren't found in the other games. Youko, a girl you meet at the first of the game, sets up a place where you can synthesize new weapons with existing weapons + souls. You can also leave souls with her... I'm not sure of the effect of this. I read in the manual, and it said the more souls you have, the stronger the effect gets. I can't imagine why you'd want her to hold them for you. And, the bad side for anyone importing it, there's a LOT more text here than usual. It's not required to enjoy the game, but there is a bit of story that you'd miss if you're hopelessly lost with kanji. The manual does have furigana which will help. The names of the areas as well, don't have English this time... a first for the series if I'm not mistaken. All in all, I think it was worth paying the extra few bucks to get this. Yeah, I I know I'll have it pretty much finished by next week when I'm getting on the long ass plain ride, but oh, well. :)

Return to “Japanese Video Games”