what are the #1 rarest games for the following systems?

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

what are the #1 rarest games for the following systems?

Postby CaptainAmazing » Sat May 01, 2004 5:17 pm

OK, What are the rarest games to track down for these systems: (Im talking the #1 hardest to find game for each) famicom famicom disk super famicom n64 Megadrive dreamcast pc engine (Hu Card and SCD) Neo Geo AES dreamcast ps1 Saturn msx Thanks!

ntsc-j
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ntsc-j » Sat May 01, 2004 10:40 pm

depends.. only "commercial" games or also not-for-sale stuff and so on?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: what are the #1 rarest games for the following systems?

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 02, 2004 2:32 pm

Yeah, there's always that "commercial release" thing. Going off of demand (and not the print count) the hardest to find for the following are: Megadrive - Comix Zone most likely (JPN release) dreamcast - (Hmm... very early to tell. It was Record of Lodoss War until the came out w/ the Dorikore verison) pc engine (Hu Card and SCD) - There's a LOT of SCDs that pass the $100 mark. For CD game, I would actually be the ACD Sapphire I'm sure. HuCard --- Magical Chase I'd say (since Circus Lido is now one of the easiest games to find) Saturn - Taroumaru (definitely by price, and there's always fewer of this on Yahoo than the other big name titles).
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Kaneko
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaneko » Sun May 02, 2004 6:18 pm

on PC engine (cd), the rarest game is Akiyamajin wich cost around 500.000 yens !! Ginga funkei densetsu sapphire is not as rare. There is also the power league gold (200 copys) and the "famous" daruis alpha (800 copys). The Mega drive's rarest game is Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage I think (100.000 yens). There are a few games more expensive than Cosmix zone like Bateman forever, Tom & jerry ( :D ) or the Ooze. The Neo geo Aes rarest game il also the rarest game of the world. There is onely 3 copys of Kizuna encounters !! The games was sold around 11.000 euro last years. On sega saturn I know that Delisoba Deluxe is very expensive. It may be the rarest game I think. I don't realy know for the other console systems :) . ps) sorry if my english is bad :lol:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun May 02, 2004 7:48 pm

Some other notables For Saturn Twinkle Star Sprites is probably one of the hardest shooters to track down. PC Engine CDs Downtown Nekketsu Mongotari Madou Monotagari Slyphia(I think this has had a big price jump from a few year back) Dead of the Brain 1, 2 Steam Hearts Hi Leg Fantasy Some other notables that are much more rare in the West than in Japan Ruin Alshark Travellers Sol monarge hucards Your probably right about Magical chase and it had 2 different releases or something. Might of just been different packageing but I don't remember anymore. Coryoon Terra Cresta 2 Tetsujin PSX There's a fair amount of 2D action and shooters that hard to come by but I'm not an expert on the system.

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Sun May 02, 2004 8:28 pm

How rare is CROWS for saturn? Ive seen it for sale twice and both times it went for 150.00+

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun May 02, 2004 8:32 pm

Crows is probably up there in rarity. I got mine for about $40.00 a few years back. I personally think it's subpar beat em up IMHO.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Sun May 02, 2004 9:47 pm

I think Fire Emblem thracia 776 SFC is pretty hard to find. I know it was available in the SFC game kiosks but the origional and the special edition with plushes are rare. For Megadrive I'd say Slap Fight is pretty rare too.

ntsc-j
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ntsc-j » Sun May 02, 2004 9:56 pm

you are right about the fire emblem.. its also a very late sfc title.. i think it was 1999 or 2000?! Image just btw.. this is one of the most expensive neogeo titles i think.. found this at trader #1 in akiba a while ago!

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun May 02, 2004 10:16 pm

Wasn't the Megdrive Rockman Wily Wars one kind of rare and expensive? How about Alisia Dragon? I'm not much of an expert on Megadrive rarity as you can see. That Neo Geo Kizuna Encouter was on ebay recently I think it finished around $10.000 or so which is less than what the last one went for.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 04, 2004 2:29 am

Kaneko wrote:on PC engine (cd), the rarest game is Akiyamajin wich cost around 500.000 yens !!
Yeah, but this is debatable if it qualifies as a true release. I don't know the whole story, but it wasn't sold in game shops if memory serves. Also, it barely clears 300,000 yen these days (if complete).
There is also the power league gold (200 copys) and the "famous" daruis alpha (800 copys).
Yes, but neither were commercial releases.
The Mega drive's rarest game is Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage I think (100.000 yens).
I recall this -- it is definitely harder to find than Comix Zone, but I don't think it hits 100,000 yen.
There are a few games more expensive than Cosmix zone like Batman forever, Tom & jerry ( :D ) or the Ooze.
Tom & Jerry I've not seen anywhere, so can't comment, but The Ooze is (or was a couple of years ago) slightly less than Comix Zone. At least according to Akihabara shops.
On sega saturn I know that Delisoba Deluxe is very expensive. It may be the rarest game I think.
Definitely the rarest, but not a commercial game. It was a TBS promo.
ps) sorry if my english is bad :lol:
Nope, it was pretty good!
just btw.. this is one of the most expensive neogeo titles i think.. found this at trader #1 in akiba a while ago!
Yeah, and the label says "Package is fading, ROM scratched, Manual creased". And still asking 190,000+ for it! :)
Wasn't the Megdrive Rockman Wily Wars one kind of rare and expensive? How about Alisia Dragon? I'm not much of an expert on Megadrive rarity as you can see.
Rockman is now a 4000 yen or so game, where as Alisia Dragoon is probably 6000 or so. Crows is pretty hard to come by. Been searching for one for a while... to no avail.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Tue May 04, 2004 2:43 am

What I find interesting is that alot of the rarer MegaDrive games(Comix Zone, Alisia Dragoon, Batman Forever, CastleVania Bloodlines) are common for the Genesis in North America. I often see the genesis version on yahoo Japan. Is there a big demand for the US version of these games? Alot of time I get the Japanese version of Genesis titles(Arcus Odyssey,FZ Zenki Axis) just for the better box art.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 04, 2004 4:07 am

While they will sell for a fair amount more in Japan (a $5 US game might sell for $15-$20 here) you couldn't make a living off of it by any stretch..

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue May 04, 2004 4:42 am

Probably not a big demand it's just easier to get a hold. Kind of like how Ys 1 and 2 is much easier to get the US version as it was a pack in game versus the import version for the PC Engine. There's probably a lot of other good examples as well.

Pingu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pingu » Fri May 07, 2004 6:51 am

Well, Kizuna encounter, it's only the European release thats that rare. There are loads of Japanese copies and it's not really that expensive a game, that being for the neogeo of course. ^^;;
Panda papanda kopanda

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 07, 2004 7:35 am

On that note, I would probably never pay THAT much for a game like that, especially if it was originally a JPN game, and there was a limited release in another region. I wouldn't pay that much for most prototypes either, but who the hell knows, eh?

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri May 07, 2004 6:48 pm

I'll agree with you on those points.

thibaut
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby thibaut » Tue May 25, 2004 3:55 pm

Saturn : Delisoba Deluxe is not the most rare game. It's the proto Sonic the Fighter. Pc Engine : Akiyamajin is expensive but some are better : Life Active Network (4CD) Hudson Summer Graduation 92 (Hudson school) They are never had see on sale on Ebay or Yahoo (for me). Super Famicom : The Special version of Slam Dunk is very rare. Sorry for my bad english :D Bye
Pc Engine Fan

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 25, 2004 4:08 pm

thibaut wrote:Saturn : Delisoba Deluxe is not the most rare game. It's the proto Sonic the Fighter.
Well, neither really count. One's a promo and one doesn't exist. Have you actually PLAYED one of these? This was cut not long after being announced if memory serves. IE - not playable.
Pc Engine :Akiyamajin is expensive but some are better : Life Active Network (4CD) Hudson Summer Graduation 92 (Hudson school)
Again, we get into that "what is a real release thing".
Super Famicom : The Special version of Slam Dunk is very rare.
Ditto... as is the Magical Drop one. Way too expensive for me!

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue May 25, 2004 5:44 pm

Have you ever seen Silky Lip, Angel 2 Holy Night for PC Engine sold anywhere or auctioned off on Yahoo? I know there betas for it as I have them. I also have a few demos that I've never seen anywhere like hellfire, Iga Ninden Gaiou etc. that just have the first level or so and than crash after that. I've wondered if these were leaked betas or something else?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 25, 2004 11:29 pm

Azazel wrote:Have you ever seen Silky Lip, Angel 2 Holy Night for PC Engine sold anywhere or auctioned off on Yahoo?
Yes -- both have made it to Yahoo, and go for a high amount of money. Someone (I think it was Yuki) dumped his Silky Lip for 50,000 yen recently.
I also have a few demos that I've never seen anywhere like hellfire, Iga Ninden Gaiou etc. that just have the first level or so and than crash after that.
If they crash, it's very likely that they're betas. I've never heard of a demo that just bombs out... it usually has an exit screen. Just my take on it.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Wed May 26, 2004 4:54 am

Well the one crashes, the other just goes on forever and you can't do much of anything other than seeing the end part of the level over and over again. What about PC Cororan has that pop up before? I know Yuki is suppose to have it as he has the only webpage with information about it

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 26, 2004 5:51 am

PC Cocoron apparently showed up a LOOOONG time ago, but it hasn't in years. I've had it in my alerts for about 2 years now, and manually searched it before that. I've given up on it -- Yuki is the only guy I know of that has it and is verbal about it. I'm sure there's more copies of it out there, but who knows.

thibaut
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby thibaut » Wed May 26, 2004 8:35 am

Hi, I'm a french collector and I just give you some informations from me and others very important collectors in France and Japan. Can you please give me the link for Eyefull Home of Traders2 ? Pc Engine : Akiyamajin complete (game + book + box), Life Active Network (4 CD) and Summer Graduation are real legend in Japan. I have pictures off all them if you want. Samples Disc are not rare except Pc Cocoron VERY RARE, and the official Gradius 2 Sample with the letter from Konami (I have picture if you want) 100 000 Yens. I have the 3 protos : Space Fantasy Zone, Silky Lip (I have 2 versions) and Angels 2. They are not rare, they are free on the net. Darius alpha must be complete with the letter from Nec Avenue. You have also some very rare Pc Engine harware : PowerConsole 25 000 Euros (only 2 copy), Pc Engine Modem with box and the Pc Engine Hibino (I have one picture if you want) from a japanese designer. Saturn : I have only a little picture off Delisoba (front and back), if you want I can send them. Delisoba is rare but you can see it in Japan about one by month. Not Gold Hu-Card complete (with Hudson Soft Sleeve) and Akiyamajin complete what you can see only one by year with luck. Ennemy Zero Ledition with special clothes is rare (about 120 000 Yens). Sonic the fighter come from the Arcade version. A Saturn Version was made with box and manual in little few quantity. Soul Hacker extra dongeons (Not for Sale) is rare and about 60 000 Yens. Waltz contain the book from house and apartment agency (I don't know the right word in English). Megadrive : The most rare games are the Aklaim games because a lots of them are in shops the same day in Japan and in the fews quantity : Justice league, Batman forever, Virtual bart, Maximum carnage, Wwf raw are coming out the same day ! Mark III : The most rare is Bomber raid (the last game for this console) Laseractive : Time Goal (800$ on Ebay) GameGear : Panzer dragon mini and Aleste 1 NES : The gold cartrigde from the Nintendo world championship 90', only 26 copy (2500$ on Ebay). Virtual Boy : Virtual bowling : 1500$ Nintendo DD64 : KYOJIN NO DOSHIN data disk : 500$ Pro Golf Tour 64 : 500$ Game & Watch : Flagman : 800$ NeoGeo pocket Jap : SNK Vs Capcom Card Fighters 2 Soreyuke!Hanafuda And sorry for my bad English :(
Pc Engine Fan

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 26, 2004 3:51 pm

thibaut wrote:Can you please give me the link for Eyefull Home of Traders2 ?
There is no link -- they don't post things on line. You must go to the store to see it.
Samples Disc are not rare except Pc Cocoron VERY RARE
It's not a sample disc. It's an almost full release that's been leaked. Very different from a sample.
, and the official Gradius 2 Sample with the letter from Konami (I have picture if you want) 100 000 Yens.
I think this would be a waste. Not a Gradius fan, and since the game is released, you're basically paying for a letter from Konami, who I'm not very fond of.
I have the 3 protos : Space Fantasy Zone, Silky Lip (I have 2 versions) and Angels 2. They are not rare, they are free on the net.
You're welcome. The only reason those versions got out was b/c I was VERY generous (like an idiot) about 4 years ago when I located all three of them ( by myself I might add). I split the cost with other Turbo List members --- some of them uploaded the ISOs the net. If I find any other protos, they're not going to be leaving my hands. Very stupid move of me. If they at least threw some kind of credit from where they got it, I wouldn't have cared as much.
Saturn : I have only a little picture off Delisoba (front and back), if you want I can send them. Delisoba is rare but you can see it in Japan about one by month.
It's defintiely not as rare as the games you mentioned, but it's definitely not a once a month game. I've gone for years without seeing it. The only reason you could see it so often at Trader is b/c they were asking double the normal cost.
Sonic the fighter come from the Arcade version. A Saturn Version was made with box and manual in little few quantity.
Picture? I just don't believe this. We'[d have seen/heard something (a LOT) about it before now. There's even videos of Sonic Extreme which was never in a playable state, according to sources.
Soul Hacker extra dongeons (Not for Sale) is rare and about 60 000 Yens.
Less than 20,000 yen -- trust me. It's even less than 20,000 yen in Media Land - the most expensive place to buy Saturn games.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”