The video clips thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The video clips thread

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:26 am

As some people know, hameko.net is a site that continually offers video game video downloads. They range from 1 Coin Clear vids, to opening sequences, to endings, to long chains. The problem is that just about everything is in Japanese. So, I figured I'd make a sticky pointing to some of the rather cool vids. Note that they're on rotation... more like they're up for a limited time, then gone forever.

Without further ado...

1467 Cotton Boomerang (1CC)
1466 Rainbow Island (1CC)
1455 Grandia III (Opening)
1426 Zero Gunner 2 (1 Coin 2 Loop Clear)
1313 Gunbird 2 (English Version/1CC)
1314 Strikers 1999 (1CC)
1206 Tales of Rebirth (999 hit)
1205 Dangun Feveron (No Miss/All Clear/True Boss)
1204 Guwange (Gensuke/No Shikigami/1CC)
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:44 pm

hame_1327.lzh is a pack with the Summon Night series openings. All of them. Good quality rips. BTW, amazing site's update, GP. And I mean AMAZING.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:51 pm

Thanks. Tired as balls from it though... the game data took a good week to do. The flyers, another week. I totally didn't think that the computer wouldn't be able to japanese-alphabetize until I was halfway through. :/ The Japanese-side has a way for users to write their own reviews. I'll add it to the English side once I can figure out how to do cookies and make some user accounts.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:17 am

1545: Radiant Silvergun Sword Replay 1549: Raidant Silvergun 1CC
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:52 am

1581: Data East X Sunsoft teaser. A doujin of course, but don't miss it.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:00 am

Saw that, but didn't have time to watch, much less download. What games are on there?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:51 pm

Many! Death Brade, Galaxy Fight, Magical Drop, Chelnov, Karnov, Metal Max, Waku Waku 7, Albert Odyssey, Tantei Jinguuji Saburo, Hebereke, Fighter's History...

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:17 am

I will have to check it out then! 1607: Tales of Legendia Opening 1648: Gradius III Loop 3 Stage 2 1651: Detana Twin Bee 2nd loop clear

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:39 am

1656: Gradius Gaiden 1st Loop ALL No Miss 1657: Psyvariar 1CC 1658: Metal Slug X ALL No Miss

icycalm
#1 video game and art theorist in his world
#1 video game and art theorist in his world

Postby icycalm » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:16 am

But don't they take down the videos after a while?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:59 am

Yes, of course. They add like 20 a day, so they have to keep them on a rotation. DL while you can!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:37 am

1689: Dodonpachi DOJ Death Label Hibachi-Kai A-S No Miss

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:14 pm

1719: Under Defeat videos/pics pack. Poor quality, thoe.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:05 am

Nice one. Got any opinions on it yet?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:18 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Nice one. Got any opinions on it yet?
Hard to say something valuable at this point, but the helis look too big and too slow to be playable. I suppose they'll fix it with a couple of beta tests.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:41 am

Haven't seen any more than screenshots. I'll watch the video later. I can't wait until the rumors of a DC release start hitting.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:51 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Haven't seen any more than screenshots. I'll watch the video later. I can't wait until the rumors of a DC release start hitting.
It's now official, thoe - no more DC games.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:36 pm

Non-Hameko, but a vid nonetheless. Shikigami no Shiro III at the AM Show.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:13 am

The one thing I did not see.... I looked around a bit, but left before my legs gave out. YOu know -- jetlag and all. Didn't have my hopes up anyway... nothing Type-X yet has impressed me.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:46 pm

So you finally went there? What about Espgaluda II and the rest? (Shiki 3 was only in video form, anyways, seems they're redoing totally the game).

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:38 am

Yeah, I made it. I posted some thoughts at Shmups. I'll copy them over here. I've had limited battery life on my laptop (forgot the converter) but have it now, so I don't have to worry about that. I'll post it in the ESPGaluda thread. Oh, yeah -- something you'd have gotten a kick out of. There were four cabs with Metal Slug 6 on display. 3 in scaled up high res, 1 in true low res. I asked one of the attendants about it, but he said they hadn't decided on what res it would ship with. I wonder if it'll be configurable in the final release (or if it was even configurable in the demo). He said the cab had the option of displaying either. As for SHiki III... I remembered reading there would be a video of it (I think I read that at danmaku-kei) but forgot who the hell was showing it. Probably Taito's... but they had a ton of people trying out their Zoids crap, and I didn't feel like waiting around for the next video.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:24 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote: Oh, yeah -- something you'd have gotten a kick out of. There were four cabs with Metal Slug 6 on display. 3 in scaled up high res, 1 in true low res. I asked one of the attendants about it, but he said they hadn't decided on what res it would ship with. I wonder if it'll be configurable in the final release (or if it was even configurable in the demo). He said the cab had the option of displaying either.
Think about it - it's *impossible* for a game to have been designed at the same time for both, true hi-res and true low-res displays, since that would make of it two totally different games. Metal Slug 6 is a true hi-res game which *only* uses upscaled low-res sprites. What you likely saw were 3 games using a hi-res monitor (31 kHz) and one using a low-res one (15 kHz), but still the same game at the same rendering (high) resolution. It's a common usage of systems like the AW, since it outputs both speeds in order to be compatible with any arcade monitor.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:54 pm

The sprites on the high res version really didn't look high res though. I've seen worse in the arcades (Melty Blood == horrific, and KOF NeoWave) but in all honesty, I only looked at it for a very little bit. As for impossible... couldn't they just paint everything twice? Silly and not likely yes, but aren't the Metal Slug teams known for having a bunch of crap in the games. I always thought that was why those Neo Geo games got up to the XXX MEG count they always plastered on the box back in the day.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:22 am

1855: Espgaluda II AM Show pack. Tolerable res, even.
Gaijin Punch wrote:The sprites on the high res version really didn't look high res though. I've seen worse in the arcades (Melty Blood == horrific, and KOF NeoWave).
That's because those games didn't filter the sprites at all, unlike MS3.
As for impossible... couldn't they just paint everything twice? Silly and not likely yes, but aren't the Metal Slug teams known for having a bunch of crap in the games. I always thought that was why those Neo Geo games got up to the XXX MEG count they always plastered on the box back in the day.
Many sprite designs are usually unused with any 2D game. It just happened that SNK added them in the ROM set, for some reason.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:43 pm

That's because those games didn't filter the sprites at all, unlike MS3.
Meltyblood looks even worse than Neowave. WAY worse... then again, I only took a very brief look. You know me and 2d fighting games. FYI - I'll have my videos of ESPGaluda II early next week.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”