The titles you probably mispronounced as a kid (or adult)

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The titles you probably mispronounced as a kid (or adult)

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:15 am

I'm bored... this should be fun. Legend of Kage: It's the Japaense word for shadow. Ka-ge, not like a "cage" you keep a bird in. Ikari Warriors: Never knew this until recently, but the game was actually just called Ikari, which means "anger" in Japanese. FYI: the sequel was called Dogosouken. I think Ikari II was the subtitle. anyways, pronounced (sort of) like hickory, w/ the "h". Guwange: A newer game, but it's not pronounced goo-wang. It's Goo-wan-ge. Ninja Gaiden: With anime geeks making Japanese very fashionable to study, everyone probably knows now, but it's 'guy-den', not 'gay-den'. Raiden: Similar to above. Rye-den, not Ray-den. Raguy: Actually pronounced Ragi. Pretty bad romanization. There's gotta be a ton more of these.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:21 am

Gaiares: GUY-ah-res, not GUY-are-us as Renovation insisted. Aleste: a-LES-tah, not a-LEST. Darius: da-RY-us, not DAY-ree-us (well, it's Persian). Ys: YEES, not WHYS.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:09 am

Nice additions. Gaiares -- how painful. O_o Darius is actually pronounced da-rye-u-su. They did a crappy job romanizing it. I prettey much say dairy-us
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dessgeega
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby dessgeega » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:44 am

Ganelon wrote:Ys: YEES, not WHYS.
i've been wondering for the longest time.

xenodolf
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby xenodolf » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:39 am

i'm sure with my luck, suikoden is not pronouced "suwee-ko-den"
i am obssessed with beat 'em ups. if you have any obscure ones, please let me know if i can buy them from you!!

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:27 am

dessgeega wrote:
Ganelon wrote:Ys: YEES, not WHYS.
i've been wondering for the longest time.
I still don't understand, hehe. Like 'yeast' (but without the 't') or like 'ease'?

Turrican
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Turrican » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:40 am

oddly enough, all the above examples sound so obvious and natural in Italian. I guess that's one of the reason it is often said that Japanese and Italian languages have a lot in common.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:56 pm

The only example I can think of right now is "Star Parodier". Not "pah-row-deer", but "pa-roh-jah" (just like the word "soldier", as it's poking fun at Star Soldier). Another one - though not an actual game - is "tate", which 90% of the shmups forum seems to pronounce as "tayt". :)
zinger wrote: I still don't understand, hehe. Like 'yeast' (but without the 't') or like 'ease'?
"Ease" is the correct one. :)

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:13 pm

Konami's official US pronunciation is "yeez." If you follow the JP kana, it's "ees." So I guess it's open to debate if you're one of the people who don't whether to call Tidus "teedus" or "teeda."
Last edited by Ganelon on Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:19 pm

Hmm, I've played the US TurboGrafx version of Ys Book I&II and I could swear they also call it "ease" in there. I'm sure Konami messed something up along the way... :)

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:23 pm

I'll check the original Ys out again. It's certainly possible that Konami USA could have randomly made up a pronunciation on the fly.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:49 pm

citcelaid wrote:The only example I can think of right now is "Star Parodier". Not "pah-row-deer", but "pa-roh-jah" (just like the word "soldier", as it's poking fun at Star Soldier).
But nope. "Pa-roh-jah" ("parojaa") is just the closest way a Japanese has to write the word in kana and say it. Parodier is an English form (though made by Japanese) hence you must say "pah-row-deer". It's what a Japanese tries to do, at least.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:10 am

I think citacleid's is closer. Parody + Soldier. pfB[@+ W[ = pW[

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:17 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Parody + Soldier.
Of course that's the origin. How it opposes to what I said?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:23 am

hence you must say "pah-row-deer".
Soldier isn't pronounced "sol-deer" it's more like "sol-jer".
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:15 am

Heh, the Japanese talk in ebonics... And the titles Recap probably mispronounced as a kid (or adult): Star Soldier Soldier Blade Final Soldier :P

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:37 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote: Soldier isn't pronounced "sol-deer" it's more like "sol-jer".
Really? You anglos are weirdoes, hell.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:59 pm

Indeed we are. I think the English pronunciation is closer to the Japanese than my American pronunciation. At least my British friends would say "solja".

Tachikoma
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Tachikoma » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:50 pm

I've always wondered about Parodius. I usually call it "Pah-ro-deeus".. since it's obviously a parody of Gradius.. but is it infact pronounced in a similar way? I've also once heard someone pronounce it as "Pah-ro-deux".. :?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:45 pm

I think you're right. THe most natural/correct way in English would be "Parody" + "oos".

ClassicTVMan81
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ClassicTVMan81 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:51 am

Off the top of my head, the correct Romaji for "Parodius," going by Hepburn convention, would be read as "Pa-rou-ji-asu," the final "u" in "asu" (for "us") being silent.

The Hepburn "ji" is used to represent the English sounds not only of "ji" (as in such words as gin and Jeep) but "di" and "zi" as well, which, for another example, is why the Japanese would render "Godzilla" as "Go-ji-ra."

Non-Hepburn Romaji: Kunrei-shiki romanization would render "di" as "zi," so the non-Hepburn Romaji (or Romazi) spelling of "Parodius" becomes "Pa-rou-zi-asu." Likewise, the Nihon-shiki romanization is "Pa-rou-di-asu."

Also, as to the "Kage" (mis)pronunciation, I am curious about it as I have not yet heard people mispronounce it as "kah-ZHAY" -- as if it were a French word/name. An homage to all those people out there who often mispronounce the "j" in the Chinese capital city of Beijing, again, as if it were French.

‾Ben (ClassicTVMan81)

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:22 am

By the way to the people wondering about Ys, you have to remember the game is based on the mythological French city of Ys, and the legend of the Knight in red who went there. So yeah its just 'ees'
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:57 am

Oldest necro-ed post yet. But, hey, it's not spam.

I still hear people brutalize Guwange. My ass puckers a bit every time.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:06 am

I always chuckle at japanese pronounciation of roman lettering.. like esprade turns into "ESPEH-UH-RAYIJ-DUH!!" , preferably said with that overly dramatic samurai-needs-to-shit voice too :D
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:00 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I still hear people brutalize Guwange. My ass puckers a bit every time.

Actually I had just been wondering whether your ass still puckered from time to time, as you hadn't mentioned it in a while. ;)

Also, a lot of people pronounce Espgaluda "Ee-Ess-Pee Galooder" for whatever the fuck reason. Thought that should be in this thread.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”