The titles you probably mispronounced as a kid (or adult)

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 am

The ironic thing is Japanese phonetics are extremely limited when comparing to... well....everything.

And yeah, my ass puckers quite a bit still. But lately I've been making the "you fuck face" face... namely at drivers driving like complete and total jackasses.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:40 pm

As a kid, when Nintendo came out in the states and most folks were playing Super Mario Bros., I was not familiar w/ "Bros." = "Brothers" and I was calling it "Super Mario Brawss." I was later corrected, but I wonder how many kids thought I was a weirdo and didn't say anything.
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:20 pm

citcelaid wrote:
Also, a lot of people pronounce Espgaluda "Ee-Ess-Pee Galooder" for whatever the fuck reason. Thought that should be in this thread.

Guilty as charged. I just stated called it "Galuda" because I don't know the correct pronunciation.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:30 pm

undamned wrote:As a kid, when Nintendo came out in the states and most folks were playing Super Mario Bros., I was not familiar w/ "Bros." = "Brothers" and I was calling it "Super Mario Brawss." I was later corrected, but I wonder how many kids thought I was a weirdo and didn't say anything.
-ud

Don't sweat it, brah.

I've mispronounced "Gradius" all my life as "gray-dee-us" instead of the proper "grah-dee-us" (like "gladius"). For some reason, it's the one mispronunciation in my life that I don't really feel too compelled to correct, probably because that's the way it's always been pronounced in my limited American experience. At least there's a bit of indecision (Darius) or the outright WTF factor (Ys) that colors most other titles with funny names, but I've never heard another American hit the proper pronunciation for this one.
You also distaste me with passion!

xorthen
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby xorthen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:52 am

Not exactly a game I mispronounced but a name of a character. Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat. We kids used to argue over whether it was pronounced Te-sung or Sung. Old times.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:57 pm

Shang Tsung is an accurate Wade-Giles romanization but the official pronunciation for his name isn't accurate anyway. Then again, what can you really expect when they pronounce Raiden as RAY-den?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”