Import stores list

Buy, sell, trade, and beg for games in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Import stores list

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Wow, some nice reads there! :D

I believe Adol's collection has since been acquired by the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester.

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Hahaha -- indeed that's one of them!
There was another though. Something w/ the word "wolf" in it no? And I think adol_france

Here's some more fun:
http://pc6.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/yahoo/1102428377/
http://natto.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/yahoo/1018603005/

Memory lane, gentlemen. Memory lane.

I can't remember the 'wolf' username. Just seeing the name in this thread earlier brought back not memories, but emotions. I know I dealt with this guy somehow, painful stuff.

I've just about sold all of my games now and almost everything recent went to people in Japan via Yahoo, especially items of high value. Having dealt with some peculiar folks overseas I can understand exactly why Japanese sellers would not want to sell to them either. This attitude of "I want you to sell me this game and this other game and also find me this rare FM Towns game sealed as new, and then send them to me using EMS... and you can pay the shipping. Oh, and you'll take Paypal and I won't pay the fees, and it will be in a currency of my choosing." Why deal with that when I can put the thing in a box, go to the bank, check my bank account and from there drive to Kuroneko and have them pay the shipping by chakubarai?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:31 pm

It was high drama back then, for sure. Wish i had the English threads where they defended their actions. Last "debate" I recall was on Assembler, was one here I advocated a well-picked collection is far more impressive, and one of them argued (ad naseum) that a complete collection (IE, the entire catalogue) is better b/c it's well-picked and has everything else. O_O
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:33 pm

drive to Kuroneko

I used to walk about 50 meters to the conbini to do domestic shipping.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:
drive to Kuroneko

I used to walk about 50 meters to the conbini to do domestic shipping.

I have to walk 50 metres just to get to the road... such is the rural life. Actually the nearest conbini is right beside Kuroneko, it's about 3 or 4 km away.
Anyway, I got a letter today to tell me that everything checked out and I can move into my new public housing apartment (for tsunami victims) in a city about 100 km away. Hopefully I won't have to go so far to send stuff from now on.

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:It was high drama back then, for sure. Wish i had the English threads where they defended their actions. Last "debate" I recall was on Assembler, was one here I advocated a well-picked collection is far more impressive, and one of them argued (ad naseum) that a complete collection (IE, the entire catalogue) is better b/c it's well-picked and has everything else. O_O

Well obviously you're not a real collector unless it's a complete collection which is still SEALED... "What do mean, play the games? They're just for showing off".

Actually I bought a bunch of sealed games from Denkodo when they were changing to K's Denki and sold them on Ebay. One Dreamcast Street Fighter III game had a tiny, minuscule, almost invisible tear in the plastic and the guy complained loudly that I had been untruthful in saying that it was sealed. Mania.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Yahoo Japan's interface, like 99% of interfaces in Japan, is dated and flawed, but they have perfected the art of the auction. "It's in mint condition, but if you demand pristine condition, please refrain from bidding".

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Japanese auction:

Mint game. Two pics zoomed in on a small speck of dust on the lower left corner. Description: "This is a used item with some signs of wear. If you're worried about the condition, please refrain from bidding."

Western auction:

Absolutely wrecked game. One pic from the absolutely best angle. Description: "Great overall condition. Some minor wear, but nothing serious."
No mention that the instruction manual is missing.

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Adol. They had different names on YJ. I forgot how I figured out the former, but I think he said something in his YJ profile. The other I knew through infamy. The whole "seller does not ship internationally" craze was basically fueled by Adol. His (their) profile literally said, "shipping internationally is easy". They basically ignored the fuck out of it and bid on every rare PC-Engine, Saturn, and FC game around. It didn't help that they listed everything at a huge premium on Ebay. Their feedback had a lot of ticks, but it was roughly 50%. Wish I remembered the account. I'm sure it's deleted by now. That story comes up ever few years I think. It sucked b/c they made the handful of foreigners on YJ (and there were very few of us) look bad.

Ahh Adol of France, of "Sealed Full Set Collection" fame. He's that influential was he? Subjective arguments on what makes a collection good/not-good aside, I really have to stress the ridiculous price differential between a sealed game and a mint one (which for all intents and purposes, are the same thing). In some cases, sealed games can be inferior to mint ones (e.g. discs that dislodge themselves and end up rattling and bouncing everywhere and there's not a thing you can do about it if you want it to remain sealed).

Anyway, my memory is kind of fuzzy so don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall him mentioning (on a certain retrogaming forum) that he "force-bids" on Y!J auctions (i.e. without asking for permission first) and deals with the fallouts (e.g. negative feedback) later. If the seller is like "sigh, fine, I'll ship to France", then he sends cold hard cash. Again, I might be mistaken, maybe someone else said this, not him, so apologies if I'm wrong.

Gaijin Punch wrote:rgb_bubblebath

It's not active anymore (and hasn't been for a long time). Given up Y!J for good?

Gaijin Punch wrote:http://natto.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/yahoo/1018603005/

Interesting read.

「謎な日本語」? Never seen that before. Usually it's 変な日本語.

I've occasionally seen these in the Question/Answer section of the auction listing - people asking the seller if they could ship overseas in English and/or broken Japanese. Language is a pretty big barrier so Japanese sellers will refuse to deal without a second thought. Can't blame that logic honestly. As for foreigners who make semi-comprehendable requests in Japanese? Then there's a small chance that sellers may consider that request (using the "people in general are good"/"good faith" rationale). They might even find the attempt at communicating in Japanese cute/"charming". Don't bid without asking first though.

In that thread, foreigners that they have dealt with (either positive or negative) include Koreans, Taiwanese, Hong Kongers (who are apparently annoying), Belgians (a virus came from one!?), French, Germans, Americans, and the British.

Also they point out the phenomenon of Japanese sellers on eBay who... don't ship to Japan/Japanese.

On Yahoo!Japan Auctions, "Ship to overseas" is disabled by default.

One progressive-minded replyer criticises his narrow-minded compatriots (in which he equates their "overseas transactions are troublesome" justifications with "I'm scared") by pointing out how eBay is the opposite: those who don't ship overaeas are in the minority.

Gaijin Punch wrote:Yahoo Japan's interface, like 99% of interfaces in Japan, is dated and flawed, but they have perfected the art of the auction. "It's in mint condition, but if you demand pristine condition, please refrain from bidding".

I know exactly which phrase you are referring to. I can't reproduce the Japanese but I'll know it when I see it.

CIT Seven Force wrote:Western auction:

95% of the time it is a bootleg game music CD. When pointed out, feign ignorance, and continue selling to the suckers.

CIT Seven Force wrote:Japanese auction:

Seller sells the limited edition of the Final Fantasy VII Original Soundtrack. I buy it. Upon receiving it, I realise it is a bootleg, one of the few on Y!JA. Upon reviewing the auction's item photos, this would have been obvious - if only I paid more attention before I bought it. I request a refund (original payment was by Japanese bank deposit). I get a refund. No complaints.
プロジェクトさいさいへい -まるごと埼玉最終兵器- All About S.S.H.
~Project SaiSaiHei - The Saitama Saisyu Heiki Fan Site~

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:55 pm

layzee wrote:Anyway, my memory is kind of fuzzy so don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall him mentioning (on a certain retrogaming forum) that he "force-bids" on Y!J auctions (i.e. without asking for permission first) and deals with the fallouts (e.g. negative feedback) later. If the seller is like "sigh, fine, I'll ship to France", then he sends cold hard cash. Again, I might be mistaken, maybe someone else said this, not him, so apologies if I'm wrong.

It's a pair of twins sharing one online alter-ego though. But yes, that was basically the strategy back then, but their multiple accounts were BL'ed by tons of sellers. I mean shit... they made it on a 2-chan Blacklist list.

It's not active anymore (and hasn't been for a long time). Given up Y!J for good?

I use my old account. Technically rgb_bubblebath owes Yahoo money. For some reason they didn't withdraw my listing fees for months, when i was selling my possessions before moving. I'll likely pay it off one day, but seeing as how I dropped like.... more money than I will admit by relocating and living in Japan for 4 months w/o working, I wasn't in a place to do that.

Return to “Buy & Sell”