What the hell are those!?!?!

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

What the hell are those!?!?!

Postby zinger » Tue May 04, 2004 11:11 pm

What are those green enemies on the picture (Pocky & Rocky). I remember seeing them in other games aswell (Goemon?). What's their story? Thanks! ;D Image

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 05, 2004 6:57 am

I don't quite understand the question. RU referring to the cover art of Kiki Kaikai (which I believe is Pocky & Rocky in the states)?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed May 05, 2004 10:46 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I don't quite understand the question. RU referring to the cover art of Kiki Kaikai (which I believe is Pocky & Rocky in the states)?
Uh, sorry. There's supposed to be a pic there. http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/snes05/pocky03.gif If the link isn't working, look at vgmuseum.com > gamepics > SNES > Pocky & Rocky... As I said, the green little guys. Thanks.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 05, 2004 12:56 pm

I just don't know... I 've played some of the first, and a lot more of the 2nd one... I think they're just normal bad guys in the game.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed May 05, 2004 4:07 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I just don't know... I 've played some of the first, and a lot more of the 2nd one... I think they're just normal bad guys in the game.
Hmm, that's kinda weird. Since I've seen them in other games. Thanks anyway though. :)

Querjek
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Querjek » Sat May 22, 2004 1:20 pm

I've seen enemies similar to those in Kirby Super Star. I'm pretty sure they're just umbrellas with an eye.

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Sun May 30, 2004 3:12 pm

Pocky & Rocky is actually quite stuffed with Japanese mythology, the umbrellas are part of it. Those one-legged, one-eyed umbrellas with their tongue poked out are Mononokes called Karakasa. Mononoke means something like the spirit of an artefact, as in Japanese mythology many artefacts like drapery, sliding doors, brooms, buckets, pales, clogs or lampions have a matching ghost. Karakasa is the umbrella-ghost's name. They also appear in Parodius for instance.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 30, 2004 3:24 pm

Well that was certainly thorough. Thanks for the brief lesson!

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon May 31, 2004 12:00 am

Imhotep wrote:Pocky & Rocky is actually quite stuffed with Japanese mythology, the umbrellas are part of it. Those one-legged, one-eyed umbrellas with their tongue poked out are Mononokes called Karakasa. Mononoke means something like the spirit of an artefact, as in Japanese mythology many artefacts like drapery, sliding doors, brooms, buckets, pales, clogs or lampions have a matching ghost. Karakasa is the umbrella-ghost's name. They also appear in Parodius for instance.
Cool, thanks!

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:00 am

Yeah just about everything in pocky and rocky is based of japanese mythology... except for the genie of course :) I beleive the animation spirited away is full of all this stuff as well.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Return to “Everything Else”