Meeting people...........

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Meeting people...........

Postby CaptainAmazing » Mon May 17, 2004 3:33 pm

Im planning a trip for Japan in a few months and I was wondering if anyone knows of any sites to meet people currently living in Japan so Ill have somebody to help me around (as I have absolutely no knowledge of Japan except for a few things) Thanks!

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Tue May 18, 2004 7:40 am

Any Japanese people/restaraunts in/near your hometown? Are you a college student? Have a friend of a friend of a friend who's in Japan now? Just trying to think of some options other than just using the internet.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 18, 2004 1:29 pm

I can probably give you a tour off Akihabara, and perhaps a meal at a decent restaurant. How long will you be in Japan, and how much of it in Tokyo?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Tue May 18, 2004 3:39 pm

Delafro- I dont know any japanese people in my area, Nor do I really know anyone except for Gaijin at the moment who is currently living in Japan. Gaijin- Ill be staying for a week(hopefully 2 weeks), I hope to stay close to Tokyo, Ive been trying to find a hotel or room, so far it seems like there is alot of places to stay in Roppongi (although from browsing on the web it seems that alot of people say this area is quite scumy.....) That would be cool if you could show me around Akihabra (do some shopping!!) and maybe get some lunch or dinner or something. I have been saving and waiting for this trip for quite sometime, Im planning on living in or around Tokyo within the next 5 years, so Id like to get a feel for the area. Any advice you can give a young guy who cant speak or read Japanese (Im learning right now)? Where is a cheap area to live? how hard is it to find a job if your a Gaijin? So far Ive been told my best bet is teaching english somewhere.....although I do have a degree in computer networking/web design/hardware & operating systems.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 19, 2004 3:45 am

CaptainAmazing wrote:Delafro- I dont know any japanese people in my area, Nor do I really know anyone except for Gaijin at the moment who is currently living in Japan.
Delafro is in Machida -- not too far from Tokyo.
so far it seems like there is alot of places to stay in Roppongi (although from browsing on the web it seems that alot of people say this area is quite scumy.....)
And getting worse by the day. I'd avoid Roppongi if I was you, or anyone else. It's a shithole. I know a lot of people like to stay at Hotel Sakura. It's in Jinbocho I believe, which isn't far from Akihabara, and is realtively cheap. They've also got English speaking staff (and an English website). Just google it.
Any advice you can give a young guy who cant speak or read Japanese (Im learning right now)? Where is a cheap area to live? how hard is it to find a job if your a Gaijin? So far Ive been told my best bet is teaching english somewhere.....although I do have a degree in computer networking/web design/hardware & operating systems.
Well, I started off teaching English, with no computer degree, and eventually got an IT job. I worked my way up that ladder, and am in such a good job now, I'm willing to leave Japan to keep it. When you want to "get in" teaching English is by far the easiest. Do that for a year or so, make some contacts, get your name out there, and get a real job -- I think you'll find that's what most local hires here did. LMK when your dates are a bit more solidified.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Wed May 19, 2004 2:52 pm

Ill let you know when Ill be coming for sure.

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:06 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I can probably give you a tour off Akihabara, and perhaps a meal at a decent restaurant. How long will you be in Japan, and how much of it in Tokyo?
Which is it? Pepper Lunch, Tenya, or Kyushu Jangara? :)
PROSCEUTEDT TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:04 pm

I don't eat meat, and none of those places sound vegetarian. :)

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:54 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
I don't eat meat, and none of those places sound vegetarian. :)
Well, Tenya can be if you're at all into tempura. There's an Italian Tomato on one of the back streets, though. P.S. The :) smiley have Down's Syndrome or something?

PROSCEUTEDT TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:18 pm

I know -- they're crap. I'm going to load up some other ones soon. Just thought I'd try to find a color that matched the theme.

Return to “Everything Else”