GP's music picks

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: GP's music picks

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:44 am

It's pretty interesting stuff--not on my "must have anywhere I go" playlist, but I keep coming back to it regularly. I like that he mixes the 80s tribute stuff with a bit of funk and modern electronic sentiments, so it's not like you're just listening to somebody ripping off the score to Escape from New York for all eternity.
You also distaste me with passion!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 08, 2013 3:08 am

I picked up a few gems at Disk Union in Shibuya. One is Music has the Right to Children on vinyl. 6800 yen -- cheaper than Ebay by a good $30 at least. Pretty fucking good condition too. For anyone interested, they have a copy that has a stratch on Side 1 (but still plays) for 5000 yen.

Got a couple of Autechre albums.

I have a DJ event next month which is a non-house/non-techno event. I've found a bunch of good hip hop, so I think I'm okay on that side, but it's a long night, and I'll likely switch it up to something in the Indie Pop category. I'm mainly looking for that Crystal Castles sound like this. College will be in there, as well as Com Truise. Any other suggestions? Doesn't have to be retro sounding. I'm sure there's a game soundtrack somewhere that will suffice.

EDIT: Must be able to slow the tracks down to < 122 BPM. Forgot to mention that. ;)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed May 08, 2013 12:27 pm

I get a kick out of this band thats kinda in that category http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybyHYreTkHw
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm

I still have yet to explore Shibuya and all its music stores, but God bless Disk Union. The ones in Ikebukuro and Shinjuku have a fairly underwhelming vinyl selection; you could possibly snag some good deals if you're willing to rifle through the entire selection, but the stores are so cramped that you can't spend much time before some mouth-breather is hovering over your shoulder passive-aggressively trying to get you to move. People here all seem to dig through vinyl like assholes, too, picking up and slamming down the records like they're in some sort of race to get through the entire bin. I have a near-uncontrollable urge to commit violence when I see that, because all I can think of are split spines.

Fantastic find on the BoC album--you got it less than half the going rate on Discogs, which is pretty crazy. I'd be inspired to go and try to snag that other copy, but I highly doubt it's still there. I can't remember what I was searching for, but I stumbled across a Disk Union store blog from about a year or so ago when that particular location got a vinyl copy of Geogaddi, which is the sort of thing that even if you can't afford it you'd still want to rub your face on it or something.

I don't know the first thing about DJ-ing or what makes music danceable and have no clue how to ascertain a track's BPM, but from the Crystal Castles sample (really need to pick some of their stuff up, though). Here's a couple of off-the-cuff ideas; sorry if they suck.
--First, that song made me think of M83's "Midnight People."
--Matthew Dear's second-to-recent album had some of that fuzzy, indie-pop-yet-might-could-dance vibe to it; try "Slowdance," "I Put A Smell On You," the rather long (and multistylistic "Little People (Black City)," and even "Deserter" off of his previous album.
--What about some Gold Panda? He does kind of an IDM-meets-instrumental hip-hop mix that's pretty laid back, but still danceable on a few tracks.
--Bloc Party's second-to-last album had some flirtations with dance music, namely "Your Visits Are Getting Shorter" and "Flux."
--Does this take too long to get going?
--LCD Soundsystem??
--Not terribly serious and perhaps better as a gag track (if such a thing is done), this is pretty fun (especially if your childhood comes back to you when you hear it.)
--Aside from having a hilarious name, Jahan Lennon has a fun 90's-ish sound, but one that doesn't immediately bring to mind all the horrible musical excesses of the decade. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlOrP1wSzCk
--True Faith/Bizarre Love Triangle/Crystal

That's it, I'm out.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 09, 2013 1:16 am

THanks Macaw, something by them might work... that track in particular will breach the 122 BPM limit I think though.

Greatsaintlouis wrote: People here all seem to dig through vinyl like assholes, too, picking up and slamming down the records like they're in some sort of race to get through the entire bin. I have a near-uncontrollable urge to commit violence when I see that, because all I can think of are split spines.

That's called crate digging. It's very socially acceptable. Start from the back, pull them up in succession, drop when you realize it's not what you want.

Fantastic find on the BoC album--you got it less than half the going rate on Discogs, which is pretty crazy. I'd be inspired to go and try to snag that other copy, but I highly doubt it's still there.

I'm sure it is -- for some reason, BoC stuff is cheaper here. Someone got Campire Headphase on yahoo for 8800 a few weeks ago (why didn't I bid?!) and Music has the Right finished untouched at 6800. It's in the sale section though, which is on the other side of Electronica. If you want me to grab it, I can. A friend just put out a vinyl I need to go and pick up.

I can't remember what I was searching for, but I stumbled across a Disk Union store blog from about a year or so ago when that particular location got a vinyl copy of Geogaddi, which is the sort of thing that even if you can't afford it you'd still want to rub your face on it or something.

Thanks for the suggestions -- will Youtube these as I get a handle on my work for the day. There will definitely be some New Order thrown in. Going for more contemporary wherever possible though. ;)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu May 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:That's called crate digging. It's very socially acceptable. Start from the back, pull them up in succession, drop when you realize it's not what you want.

Split spines and dented edges!

It's in the sale section though, which is on the other side of Electronica. If you want me to grab it, I can. A friend just put out a vinyl I need to go and pick up.

Thanks for the offer; I'm toying with the idea of heading out that direction anyway this weekend. Haven't really had the chance to look around Shibuya much anyway, and so I'd really like to try and see what they've got for record stores. If I don't end up going, I may have you snag it for me.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat May 11, 2013 8:59 am

Well, made it out and the album was still there, but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it. I'm a bit of a condition queen, I guess, and while the price was great I couldn't get past the obvious wear around the corners and edges. Plus, I can't quite shake the nagging conviction that Warp is going to decide to repress the vinyls sometime soon to cash in on the excitement from the new album--they did a big Aphex Twin repress recently, and he's been quiet for a lot longer than these two have.

Saw some other great stuff there that I had to pass on for now--there's a vinyl copy of In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country for a fairly reasonable price, and there was the original 3-LP Mille Plateaux pressing of the first Gas album (which supposedly has a different track listing than the disc on the Nah Und Fern box set) for a little over 2,000 yen, but the sleeve was pretty torn apart. I had to do some serious soul-searching for a moment when I stumbled upon a very good looking (complete with obi!) Japanese version of Daft Punk's Discovery, the one with the Leiji Matsumoto cover art. Unfortunately, 7,000 was a bit too rich for my blood.

That Ambient World label that did the reprint of Ambiant Otaku has apparently been busy repressing a bunch of old Fax albums, as I found not one but two copies of the Jonah Sharp/Tetsu Inoue collab Electro Harmonix, for about half of what the going rate is on Discogs. Really wish they would have kept the original art for most of these releases, though.

I'm glad to say I did not come home empty-handed:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Looks like you got a couple of goodies there. Chill Out gets a lot of play at my house... well, at least when I'm on the road.

I'm pretty forgiving of records if they are priced accordingly. I like to think I'm not a collector... that I want to enjoy the music. Maybe not the total truth, but I will gladly take visibly used 735 yen Autechre Ambers all day long. :)

I'm not sure what does/doesn't warrant a repress. You'd think Warp would have done it by now. What Aphex did they repress recently?

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon May 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Yeah, I'm generally more on the side of wanting to listen to albums vs. just look at them, but I also want to buy ones that I intend to hang on to for the long run, and if there's a lot of wear it feels like I'm halfway to the grave. The BoC album wasn't terrible, but I just couldn't do it--maybe it was partly the thought of not being able to actually listen to it for at least another year. But yeah, can't say I came back disappointed. I'm looking to give Chill Out a nice long headphone listen this weekend.

I have no idea what warrants a reprint and what doesn't--sometimes record companies seem like Japanese game companies in the way they obviously fear making money.

I thought that Richard D. James Album and I Care Because You Do got repressings last year, and Discogs confirms I'm not crazy. 180-gram vinyl, to boot, but it's not like those two albums were super rare to begin with.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Ah, yeah -- I saw it in Discogs, and my friend just lifted it. It's got some great stuff on there. I should get it.

I hear you on the fear of making money shit. Frustrating hobby this. What the fuck is wrong w/ me? Why can't I collect stamps or something.

Have you heard Chill Out before? If not, holy shit, you're in for a surprise. I still rank it in the top 3 must have ambient albums. The other two are 30.7.94 by Sun Electric and Music for Airports by Brian Eno. If you don't have both of those two you're gay. Speaking of the latter, did you give Lux a try? A rather pricy new release at $28, but damn -- it's really, really good. Simple as shit... I could probably replicate a lot of it dicking around in Ableton Live, but still... lovely shit. It was a very good purchase.

And, to finish off this post, YJ was graced w/ a Geogaddi which finished tonight. I'm the lucky winner, at a cool 7049 yen. :finger: ;)

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed May 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Wow, congratulations on the Geogaddi! And that's a really great price, too--let's have some pictures when the spoils arrive! I'm getting myself hyped up for the album next month--found The Campfire Headphase a few weeks back (like a dumbass, I didn't make sure I was getting the Japan release with the bonus track), and so I've got that on regular rotation with Music, Geogaddi, and BoC Maxima. The more I read up on some of the Geogaddi backstory, the spookier it is to me...

I guess the bad (or good thing) about stamps is that once a run is out of print, that's it--you know that from now on, the price is what the collector's market will bear. Vinyl is frustrating because, unless the label has gone belly-up, there's always the possibility that a repress will come out and make you feel really stupid for that last big purchase. At least for me--I love music and love the physicality of vinyl, but I have not quite yet been to a financial place in life where I didn't love saving money and a good deal more. :whack:

I've had Chill Out (and 30.7.94) for a while in less-than-legit forms, but for some dumb reason I don't feel like I ever gave Chill Out a long serious listen. I've got it on my headphones now, and I think the reason is that it's awfully 'busy' for an ambient album--lots of samples to pay attention to, and most of the time when I have this sort of music on it's backing noise for either working or game playing [Minecraft]. This is an album that demands a little more attention.
As a real oddity, when I was still an eMusic member, I got this release because the real Chill Out wasn't available, but the similarities piqued my curiosity. Apparently a homage to the original by a pair of Japanese dudes. There was actually a CD copy of this release at the Shibuya Disk Union that I may return for in the future.

Still haven't picked up Lux, and still haven't managed to get a hold of Music For Airports either. I wish I could understand where Eno fits in Japan's screwy-as-hell music filing system, as I really feel like I should be able to find used copies of both, but I can never tell if I should look for him in the rock/pop section or the weird techno/house catchall that takes most electronic releases. I love supporting the artists, but I'm not a big fan of supporting Japan's fucked-up tax structure that keeps most CDs above 2,000 yen new. I may have to swallow my pride though and get Lux from the Tower Akiba eventually, though.

Gaijin Punch wrote:Ah, yeah -- I saw it in Discogs, and my friend just lifted it. It's got some great stuff on there. I should get it.

Which one, Richard D. James Album, or I Care...? I've had the former on CD for a few years, and it got pretty constant play at one point in my old shitty IT job. The guy's a goofball, but he makes some really fun music. I need to pick up one of the several copies of Drukqs that are floating around my regular Book Off.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 16, 2013 1:03 am

Will photo Geogaddi when it comes in. Apaprently it's in VG condition (funny how vinyl sellers on YJ have adopted the western grading method). I find the J-sellers far more critical across the board, which is awesome for us.

I guess Cave has broken me in when it comes to repressings and them negating a huge purchase for something old. For the most part, I just try to take the good with the bad. No crystal ball, and shit like that. If I got some good plays out of it and enjoyed it, no harm no foul. I guess if they do repress I hope it's The Campfire Headphase, as I don't own that one.

How is that pseudo Chill Out album? Weird, never seen it. The original itself does have a lo going on. It's definitely more an airplane ride listen than a background listen. I play it sometimes when going to sleep, but don't really need to get to sleep. For the record, the UK release (I hear) plays right through . The Americans chopped it up and named the tracks. I guess it never bothered me.

Not sure what approach you should take to get Lux. It's clearly gotten a Japanese release. Here is one for 2300 yen inclusive of shipping. It's a nice release -- comes w/ art and everything. I paid not much more for my vinyl copy though. Of course, shipping that fucker across the ocean costed a lot. I really dig it though, and if your complaint about Chill Out is the rather complex nature, then this is right up your alley. It's very much a bunch of ambient loops in succession... the difference between this and Music for Airports (for me anyway) is that the seem far more decoupled than in MfA.

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g121045992

I Care B/c You Do. Honestly, the album I want the most is Selective Ambient Works 2 original pressing. It's pricey though. :(

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 16, 2013 4:13 pm

My vinyl copy of College's latest, Heritage, just arrived. I was worried I might have fucked the order up, but low and behold, the French have delivered. Only 300 copies. Of course, it's sold out now. It's really fucking good. Definitely vinyl worthy. If you remotely like the 80's montage tech-pop that's kind of resurgent now, this is up your alley. If you just like good synth tunes, it's probably also up your alley. No stand out track w/ vocals like Real Hero, but the whole production is pretty damn note worthy.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 22, 2013 11:09 pm

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu May 23, 2013 3:53 pm

I think yours was probably the best capture. I've seen another one that got a closer and slightly clearer view of the screen, but the audio does screwy things, like cutting out on one stereo channel halfway through the movie and then switching channels a minute later. Was there a pretty big crowd?

I haven't listened to that Chill Out tribute album in a long while; so long that I've pretty much forgotten what it sounds like. I'll load it up on my player and give a report soon. The copy of Chill Out that I got was one of the TVT/Wax Trax releases, so it's got the individual tracks named, but the album doesn't seem too "cut up"--pretty sure it's just a smooth transition from one song to the next.

I've got no problem finding a copy of Lux--there's several at the Akiba Tower Records--it's just tough to pay full Japanese retail for a CD that I haven't been eagerly anticipating. You seem to be pretty excited about it still, though, so maybe I should move it higher up my list. I didn't know that it came with that sweet-looking art; it's not often you see CDs get such a nice treatment.

Haven't yet gotten around to picking up the new Daft Punk yet, but I've already somewhat spoiled it for myself by checking out the various reviews online. It was Discovery that got me seriously started down the road to electronic music, so I've got a bit of a soft spot for them (I didn't even think Human After All was THAT bad) and am looking forward to being able to pick up the new one. Right now, what's been getting a lot of play on my headphones is the new Vampire Weekend. Not sure if anyone else here likes that sort of indie pop, though. I had initially written them off as just more New York hipster nonsense, but then the wife had me listen to their first album and I was pretty surprised at how much I liked it. I was pretty excited for the second, which didn't disappoint at all, and the third one is also really good despite veering into a completely different and slightly more sedated direction.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 27, 2013 2:24 pm

The crowd was pretty cool... with hindsight, I should have videoed that. HOnestly, I knew a handful of people there. The early adopters were almost all westerners, and then of course as the entire intersection went silent and everyone watched the 3 minute countdown, many more people joined in to watch.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 29, 2013 1:30 am

BTW, on the 14th or 15th next month, College is playing in Omotesando. Perhaps you and your ho would fancy that? Tickets are a mere 2000 yen. I'll be there.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:55 am

I'll have to see--that date lands right in the middle of an obnoxiously busy few weeks. Presentations, putting together a paper for a conference, formal submission of research topic within my department... It's a pity, though, because 2,000 yen is like the least stupidly priced event I've seen yet.

Went to the record label's page to have a look-see at College, and found something that really pisses me off. You're an independent record label, you press limited amounts of your releases to vinyl that are only available through your webstore, but what do you do for your digital releases? You have them only available through fucking iTunes. I know not everyone has the resources to self-host, but why the fuck not Bandcamp? It doesn't require your users to download a shitty bloated program in order to make their purchases, and they actually get the choice of what kind of files they want to purchase, instead of getting locked into a format that's a crapshoot if they try and use it on anything other than an officially blessed iDevice. Digital distribution gave independent artists and labels the chance to succeed on their own, without the oppressive environment of the major labels, for the first time ever, but I'm just floored at how many of them are so ready to turn right back around and make themselves all nice and cozy inside a different kind of prison.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 am

Agreed -- that's why I bought the vinyl and used the MP3 download it came with. eMusic has it, at least. Maybe even Junodownload?

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:01 pm

I don't know what's going on in the background of Juno's website, but any time I navigate to a new page it completely freezes my browser for a minute. In any case, they have all the College releases, but there's something really fucked about their pricing. That EP is listed as $23, though is currently on sale for a mere $7 and change. This is the download, of course.

Can't tell if eMusic carries it or not, since they're now doing the bullshit country blocking and I don't really care enough to try and get around it. At this point I'm not feeling the effort required to try and get a hold of the album, so I'll just take your word that it's decent and maybe see if they don't pull their heads out of their asses in the future and get a decent Bandcamp account or go through some non-shitty digital distributor.

Continuing my bitching about first world problems, I've found myself growing progressively more annoyed this week that Japan, Ireland, and Australia have all gotten their releases of Tomorrow's Harvest, but the poor assholes who ordered through Bleep still have to wait for the 11th until their MP3 downloads are made available. If I'd have known the album dropped here this past Tuesday I'd have just picked up a copy from Tower Records or Disk Union and got the poster and other goodies that I'm sure probably won't come with the preorders. Seriously, this whole region restriction/timed release thing in the digital era is just so much arbitrary bullshit.

To try and replace some of the karma lost by my bitching, here's a new track from Forest Swords: https://soundcloud.com/forestswords/thors-stone. The guy put out an album/EP in 2010 that collected some earlier releases from a few cassette-only singles and which I thought was really damn good (the opening track is also on his Soundcloud, and here's a video with one of the other tracks: http://vimeo.com/12651822#). Really unique sound, at least to my ear--creepy, with lots of sampled vocals for effect and guitar playing that makes me think of either a spaghetti western or chanbara film about ghosts. This is the part where my vocabulary to speak of music's technical properties breaks down, but all of his work has this really cavernous quality that makes me imagine it was recorded at night in the middle of some dense, foggy forest. Hopefully that description makes sense when you listen to it; in any case I'm really excited at the prospect of hearing new material from him.

EDIT: Okay, so the dude is even cooler than I thought, and uploaded the full EP from 2010 to Youtube, so you can check out the whole thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpNF9xx ... ture=share

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Actually Bleep has made the digital downloads available to people in the west, and they've also made FLAC and WAV available for preorders. They took a LOT of shit though b/c at first it looked like MP3 only. They are still charging $14.99 for 24-bit WAV for those that want that, so they are now continuing to take a little more shit. For the last few Autechre releases, 24-bit wav has come with vinyl & CD orders.

I'm busy so I can't give the album the time it needs just yet, so I'm just going to wait on my vinyl to come. I'll play it through my DJ headphones (which accents the mids instead of he lows like most other headphones), and try to lose myself in it. A friend of mine cranked it on his system (which is awesome) and he said he'll fork up another $15 for the 24-bit WAV.

Did you read the interview with them? It's pretty good. I think they're a lot like what you'd expect from listening to their music.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Holy crap, they did make FLAC and WAV available! Thanks for the heads-up, I would have just continued being bitter about my 320 MP3s while waiting to stumble across the CD used so I could rip and re-sell it. Still not a fan of how they see fit to charge $2 extra for lossless/uncompressed downloads for most albums, but they've redeemed themselves a bit in my mind, though they still have a ways to go before I'm a convert.

After all my griping though I haven't really had a chance to listen to it in a good environment on my better headphones yet--had it on for the train ride home yesterday, but that was with my not-so-good transit in-ears that don't quite block out all the ambient noise; I was also dead-tired from a near all-nighter preparing for a presentation, so I think I may have dozed off a few times, too.

24-bit WAV is a great choice, but while I've yet to hear anything in the format, I've come to the conclusion that, if I'm honest with myself, I will most likely never have a system capable of emphasizing the difference between 16-bit formats, and I'm really skeptical my ears could discern between the two anyways. Really looking forward to putting together a nice listening setup when I get back to the states or wherever, but for the time being "good enough" is the order of the day--my portable player handles OGG and FLAC, I've got a decent cheapo USB DAC for the laptop, and a not-terrible pair of portable over-ear headphones for those days where the in-ears just don't cut it. Putting away a few yen here and there for an entry-level pair of Grados, but that's probably as fancy as things are going to get for another year or so.

Are you talking about the recent interview on the Guardian? Yeah, that was pretty good; definitely sounds like they've gotten a bit darker as they've matured. Bocpages has transcripts of older interviews which are fun to read, but there's a marked difference in tone between then and now.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:32 pm

I know a lot of people on this board like 4AD stuff and shoegaze, so I'll drop this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ0htgiJGZo

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:32 pm

24-bit WAV is a great choice,

ORLY?
http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I know a lot of people on this board like 4AD stuff and shoegaze, so I'll drop this here:

Nice, thanks. I love 4AD -- this one sounds good.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:11 pm

GP, what's your take on Disclosure's album? I'm totally enamored with it right now.

Especially this track that really has that early 90s Detroit vibe going (the video is also a cool hommage to the Techno city) but adds incredibly slick and "trancey" production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkk2H3Ztrfk

Return to “Everything Else”