Anyone here with extensive knowledge of Samurai movies?

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Anyone here with extensive knowledge of Samurai movies?

Postby delafro » Fri May 21, 2004 7:28 am

It's for a school project, and I think that I might have bit off a little more than I can chew. I'm comparing and contrasting samurai and cowboy movies, I thought that it was original, but apparently people do it all the time. What I need is some of the best examples of the genre. I'm having a tough time with google thanks to Tom Cruise and the Last Samurai. I know about Kurosawa and Musashi Miyamoto, but any other good suggestions other than that? Whatever help is appreciated, and maybe we can get a good discussion started here.

cfabian
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby cfabian » Fri May 21, 2004 7:02 pm

Yeah, I'd definitely say there's a bit of a correlation between the samurai movies of the East and the horse operas of old over here. I'm definitely no expert on the subject matter, and you may already be familiar with most of these recommendations, but I would look into: 47 Ronin - An old master is manipulated into commiting suicide, his students decide to seek revenge. Harakiri - Directed by Kobayashi, this is one of my favorite samurai films, arguably better than most of Kurosawa's offerings. Makes not only a great action film but also tries to serve some insight into the darker side of the human condition. Definitely see this one, if you can find it. Heaven and Earth - Not as immersive as some of Kurosawa's stuff, but some of the best cinematics you'll see in a film of its type.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat May 22, 2004 10:35 am

Have you thought of searching "" on Google. You could search that, then try to find their English titles, if you have to find movies that are subtitled. A bit of a work-around to the Tom Cruise debacle. I've done similar things before.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Sun May 23, 2004 6:01 pm

well, I am a master of samurai/kung fu movies. Samurai wise, these are most popular/influential: Zipang Ran Shogun Assassin Twilight Samurai Yagyu Conspiracy Zatoichi Shark skin man and peach hip girl (more of a "modern" samurai film)

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Sun May 23, 2004 6:03 pm

and for the hell of it, everyone needs to check out "The story of Ricky" AKA "Riki-oh", its the best kung fu movie ever made, and incredibly bloody/gory.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:06 am

story of ricky is messed, but ridiculously funny. I remember a LONG time ago I was watching a black and white samurai movie where at the end the main dude is trying to escape from some other dudes and gets shot by heaps of arrows, anyone know what this is? It would be good finding out cause its been in my memory for about a decade.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

gamergary
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby gamergary » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:13 am

Hidden Fortress is the movie Macaw.

gamergary
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby gamergary » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:47 pm

Its not Hidden Fortress but actually Throne of Doom.

Return to “Everything Else”