Shit that makes ME LOL.

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Shit that makes ME LOL.

Postby Recap » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:38 pm

I'm sorry. I believe I've never posted on this subforum and most likely my contribution to it will be boring as hell for most people. But I just found this other thread at Shmups Dot Com and got the greatest laughing moment I've had thanks to the internet in months.

Some people there are also here and usually even get involved into conversations with me (thanks, guys!), and given it's more or less recent I guess I owe them a quick reply:

On Recap's forum:

Nuff said... Image

Citcelaid: good point. My forum's uncrowdedness shows quite efficiently the antisocial nerd behind Recap's name. Of course it's totally irrelevant that I post like 10‾20 brand-new threads per week on obscure subjects the wide majority of the Spanish internet people don't care about or just even leave a point to "discuss" at all given their nature.

Whatever. I'd have loved to see you there linking this forum's Gokumakaimura thread too, anyhow. It's a good example on Recap's harsh attitude with others for no actual reason, isn't it? ...

I had a good laugh, but, fellas, how lame can it get, seriously. Not just because most people there are trying to make fun of subjects they can't even understand a little bit (like it always was, on the other hand), but come on, it's a 3-paged thread on a sigle internet person who was banned more than 2 years ago!

PaCrappa wrote:I can't search TNL I dunno why... Anyway, I think I was on Recap's side for most of that one. If I bought it when it came out in Japan and it said "Yossy Island" on the box, I'd call it "Yossy Island". There's nothing wrong with that. I call Srap Happy Rhythm Busters Srap Happy Rhythm Busters and nobody cries.

Wait a sec, I remember he scoffed at people who spelled Sengoku Blade as "Sengoku Blaede" as the spine suggested. Seems contradictory in this case...

Ganelon: I indeed would cry if I found out that somebody wrote "Srap Happy" or "Sengoku Blaede". Those are either, typos or the usual Engrish from Japanese. It's very different to the 'Yossy Island' case. That term appears in the game logo, so that makes of it an official romanization for that game's title. More than that, 'Yossy' is a valid (though odd) form to romanize 'Yoshi' (or 'Yosshii', to be more exact). Whether if Nintendo wants 'Yoshi' as the official form for its character's name doesn't affect that Yossy Island already has an official form thanks to its logo.

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: Shit that makes ME LOL.

Postby nem » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:37 pm

Recap wrote:but come on, it's a 3-paged thread on a sigle internet person who was banned more than 2 years ago!

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:59 pm

People clash on the internet all the time. There's no real point in getting too worked up about it or dwelling on the past. If you can't take some heat, you probably shouldn't be hanging out in the kitchen anyway.

Let it be said though that I appreciate your opinions much more than I used to Recap, if only because you have gotten better at communicating them.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:22 pm

citcelaid wrote:People clash on the internet all the time. There's no real point in getting too worked up about it or dwelling on the past. If you can't take some heat, you probably shouldn't be hanging out in the kitchen anyway.

The truth is I thought all that was stuff from this current year, so I apologize. Anyway, I'm taking some heat from yours alright, no? I mean, did you have any idea of what were you talking about in that assholic post? Did you ever change a word with me before it, at least? I bet you didn't, like most people there. So I think I indeed CAN take some heat, yeah.

Let it be said though that I appreciate your opinions much more than I used to Recap, if only because you have gotten better at communicating them.

That's odd, because nor my tone/attitude/opinions have changed at all nor my English skills have improved that much recently. Have you thought about your own self as the cause for the phenomenon?

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:48 pm

Recap wrote:The truth is I thought all that was stuff from this current year, so I apologize. Anyway, I'm taking some heat from yours alright, no? I mean, did you have any idea of what were you talking about in that assholic post? Did you ever change a word with me before it, at least? I bet you didn't, like most people there. So I think I indeed CAN take some heat, yeah.

Actually, we had quite a grating discussion about "Chi No Rondo" in that forum, in which your behavior eventually led to your expulsion thereof.

Apologies for my mean spirited joke on your own forum, but you see, said discussion was still fresh in my mind at that point and temptation got the better of me.

That's odd, because nor my tone/attitude/opinions have changed at all

No your tone has noticeably changed, i.e. less condescending, less obstinant, presumably because you got tired of constant fighting/getting banned or maybe because anonymous internet users just dropped down a few points on your care-o-meter? In any case, and with no irony whatsoever, I appreciate this a great deal. Thank you.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:02 pm

citcelaid wrote:Actually, we had quite a grating discussion about "Chi No Rondo" in that forum, in which your behavior eventually led to your expulsion thereof.

Apologies for my mean spirited joke on your own forum, but you see, said discussion was still fresh in my mind at that point and temptation got the better of me.

I just checked that 'Chi no Rondo' discussion at Shmups Dot Com since seems it's quite a famous one between the anti-Recap retards. I totally forgot and it made my day once again, must I say. Especially, that stellar contribution from "TWE", trying to give linguistic lessons while missing at the same time the whole point in the discussion - that 'rondo' and 'ronde' both use the same kana form. And supposedly he teaches the language! All the other 'I-wrote-here-even-if-I-didn't-understand-a-word' posts from the usual dumbs are also priceless, anyhow.

To clarify, while it's quite evident that you and Ganelon were right the truth is nobody there proved me wrong. You just couldn't, given the lack of official sources, so it wasn't a fair play, but even if I realized my mistake soon after your early explanations, my point was still valid (and still is) - technically 'Ronde' is as correct as 'Rondo' is. And c'mon, the Shmups Dot Com retards just deserved it. While persisting on the 'Ronde' thing in that case was a somewhat assholic attitude, I admit that, the truth is I never insulted you or anybody else (unlike you and some others), so your 'mean spirited joke' was totally unjustified. Don't need to apologize, anyway.

No your tone has noticeably changed, i.e. less condescending, less obstinant, presumably because you got tired of constant fighting/getting banned or maybe because anonymous internet users just dropped down a few points on your care-o-meter?

If you want to think so, it's up to you, but let me tell you my 'tone' is and always was a response. I've always tried to be helpful wherever I've been till the first retard made appearance. Since there're lots of retards, there're lots of condescending replies from me. I'm sorry if the Recap picture you drew was after that Shmups Dot Com discussion, but that thread (you should have thought that) came after not few months of being (belatedly or not) insulted by people who just didn't even know what a scanline is. As silly as it sounds.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:35 pm

Yeah, that's an old thread. I do remember it though.... even though I didn't participate in it. I know your feelings towards the average shmups.com user, but I'm going to have to say... it's way better than a LOT of other large forums. Any of the ones I frequent I'm sad to say.

It's GP's law of the internet: A Forum's ability to stay meaningful is inversely proportionate to the size of it's population. The larger a forum gets, the more bullshit there is. An unfortunate fact of the interweb.

I can't imagine a large Spanish speaking population devoted to Japanese video games... "old" ones, at that. It is essentially catering to Spanish speaking people that would come here, and look how much traffic gamengai gets (not that much).

insulted by people who just didn't even know what a scanline is. As silly as it sounds

I think the population of people that really care about it is higher there than other places. Digital Press & Assembler are places I've brought stuff up, and people look at me like I'm a leper. I've seen people claim playing 16-bit games on a flat screen is just as good as a CRT assuming it's scaler is of high quality.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:14 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Yeah, that's an old thread. I do remember it though.... even though I didn't participate in it. I know your feelings towards the average shmups.com user, but I'm going to have to say... it's way better than a LOT of other large forums. Any of the ones I frequent I'm sad to say.

Actually it's not towards 'the average Shmups Dot Com' user, but towards the oldest members and the admin himself. I remember a thread I started asking for help to get perfect emulation of Cave games on MAME... The idiocy, arrogance and ignorance of some of them shown there has no equal.

I can't imagine a large Spanish speaking population devoted to Japanese video games... "old" ones, at that. It is essentially catering to Spanish speaking people that would come here, and look how much traffic gamengai gets (not that much).

Retrogaming is as vivid here as in, say, the US, I'm sure. The problem here is that the fan base is very small per se and very few of them do care about the original Japanese versions and importing. If my site did talk about 'Last Blade' instead of 'Gekka no Kenshi', I'd have gotten more popularity. Anyways, I'm happy with the visit count and the comments I find out about it on blogs and whatnot.

I think the population of people that really care about it is higher there than other places.

I'm sure. I was a member there after all. ...

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:30 am

So, while on the topic, can someone enlighten me as to what happened to the IC forums?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:22 am

Long story short: Too many retards, as usual (and actually some of them, the very same ones), and an admin who did care about the subject, in this case, whatever the cost of it.

You can say that it just moved and changed the name:

http://forums.selectbutton.net/

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:33 pm

Recap wrote:I just checked that 'Chi no Rondo' discussion at Shmups Dot Com since seems it's quite a famous one between the anti-Recap retards. I totally forgot and it made my day once again, must I say. Especially, that stellar contribution from "TWE", trying to give linguistic lessons while missing at the same time the whole point in the discussion - that 'rondo' and 'ronde' both use the same kana form. And supposedly he teaches the language! All the other 'I-wrote-here-even-if-I-didn't-understand-a-word' posts from the usual dumbs are also priceless, anyhow.

To clarify, while it's quite evident that you and Ganelon were right the truth is nobody there proved me wrong. You just couldn't, given the lack of official sources, so it wasn't a fair play, but even if I realized my mistake soon after your early explanations, my point was still valid (and still is) - technically 'Ronde' is as correct as 'Rondo' is. And c'mon, the Shmups Dot Com retards just deserved it. While persisting on the 'Ronde' thing in that case was a somewhat assholic attitude, I admit that, the truth is I never insulted you or anybody else (unlike you and some others), so your 'mean spirited joke' was totally unjustified. Don't need to apologize, anyway.

So you were playing devil's advocate. Fair enough.

In any case, this was all too long ago and it's not really worth discussing again as far as I'm concerned. We all respect each other and have had many more productive and more important discussions in this forum and that's really what counts, no?

I'll just say though, that I consider the "retard" TWE one of the most valuable contributors, not just in shmups forum, but also here at gamengai.com (where he uses a different name in the forum).

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:27 pm

So you were playing devil's advocate. Fair enough.

Worse than that, indeed. I think I was giving the retards some actual anti-Recap arguments for once. And inducing some 'stellar contributions', too. Seems it worked better than expected.

I'll just say though, that I consider the "retard" TWE one of the most valuable contributors, not just in shmups forum, but also here at gamengai.com (where he uses a different name in the forum).

Being a retard and being a contributor aren't mutually exclusive. I only know him of two stellar moments - That one from the 'Chi no Rondo' discussion where he only showed his abilty to totally miss the point in a pretty pathetic way given his tone and another one where he stole some news from Danmaku Gata for those forums, getting linked at IC frontpage thanks to Icycalm, to finally see him later editing his post in order to name the original source at the very same time he slapped Icy's head for being a good boy and linking his source (the Shmups forum post, that is) despite my petition to not do it.

If that's not being a retarded idiot, let me know what is. At the same time he translates stuff from Japanese for the gaming community? Cool, seriously.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:43 am

I rarely post danmaku gata as a source. He's usually just compiled stuff from other sources. That, and it's kind of a given these days.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:55 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I rarely post danmaku gata as a source. He's usually just compiled stuff from other sources. That, and it's kind of a given these days.

You, I suppose, neither try to give lessons on how to be a good journalist nor edit your posts in order to hide they originally had the very issues you're mentioning. That's the lame part there, in case I didn't explain myself too well.

Said that, I don't see how not being the original source (does that exist, actually?) can prevent from getting mentioned as _your_ source. All that compilation labor deserves it, at least.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:51 am

Depends on what it is, I guess. If it's just a site update, I'm very unlikely to mention anything. If it's something else, like some nugget that was dug up, then I treat that more as news. As for efforts for people's labor, I've supplied danmakugata w/ a few nuggets over the months. Sure, I should probably post exactly where I found it, but, I will be honest, I get somewhat lazy. Not trying to justify it, just explain it.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:19 pm

So what exactly made you change your mind? As you said yourself, you can freely assume it's referring to a "ronde" and maintain kana accuracy. Or you could even assume it's using "lond," the archaic form of "land," and assume it's talking about a land of blood.

As for Yossy, alright, I get you; I never saw that debate so I can't really say any more. So what is the one point that determines a legitimate title? Or do you feel that both a logo and the correct spelling of unreferenced non-proper names indicate a correct title?

And you'd probably also limit the title to original logos only, right (so no "Lightening Force")? But even then you'll have games like Death Brade, where the logos and even title screens are spelled noticeably incorrectly.

Since I'm nowhere on top of Nintendo licensing, can someone let me know whether Yoshi's sole English name reference in Japan is still in Yossy Island, where it's spelled as such?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Ganelon wrote:So what exactly made you change your mind? As you said yourself, you can freely assume it's referring to a "ronde" and maintain kana accuracy.

Just your explanations on what exactly an (italian) 'rondo' is, if I recall.

Or you could even assume it's using "lond," the archaic form of "land," and assume it's talking about a land of blood.

Oh, not really, if we don't want to stretch it too much. Don't forget that 'Rondo' is actually written in kanji and it all is a pun on its meaning and the foreign word. While 'ronde' still have the 'circle' allusion, 'lond' doesn't.

As for Yossy, alright, I get you; I never saw that debate so I can't really say any more. So what is the one point that determines a legitimate title? Or do you feel that both a logo and the correct spelling of unreferenced non-proper names indicate a correct title?

And you'd probably also limit the title to original logos only, right (so no "Lightening Force")? But even then you'll have games like Death Brade, where the logos and even title screens are spelled noticeably incorrectly.

Maybe, but it doesn't change the fact that the game's name is 'Death Brade'. Logos are determinative most of the times, if you ask me, but not always (check PCE Eternal City, for instance).

Since I'm nowhere on top of Nintendo licensing, can someone let me know whether Yoshi's sole English name reference in Japan is still in Yossy Island, where it's spelled as such?

Of course it isn't. I already mentioned here that the 'official' form Nintendo (Japan) wants for his character's name is 'Yoshi' (despite being even less accurate than 'Yossy'). But for Super Mario: Yossy Island you already have that. Notice the Western versions were called 'Yoshi's Island', which is just a different name for the game.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:03 pm

窶捏y" is not a very adopted policy for romanizing.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:13 pm

Recap wrote:Of course it isn't. I already mentioned here that the 'official' form Nintendo (Japan) wants for his character's name is 'Yoshi' (despite being even less accurate than 'Yossy'). But for Super Mario: Yossy Island you already have that. Notice the Western versions were called 'Yoshi's Island', which is just a different name for the game.

Do you have a source for that? Somewhere in-game or in an official pamphlet?

So if every instance of a game's title is consistently misspelled, then that title remains? But if the box logo title conflicts with the title screen logo, then the title screen gets precedence?

And even if a word in a title is retconned, you'll stick with the original? What about differences in titles between JP and EN, such as Super Robot Wars and Super Robot Taisen? In all JP manuals/guides, the official English name is Super Robot Wars and yet many (even Atlus, who localized the OG games) prefer keeping the original kanji "Taisen." Would either work for you in that regard?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:48 pm

[quote]窶捏y" is not a very adopted policy for romanizing.[/quote]

Indeed, but you can't say it's wrong.

If I had to give an explanation nowadays, I'd say 繝ィ繝
Last edited by Recap on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:55 pm

Ganelon wrote:Do you have a source for that? Somewhere in-game or in an official pamphlet?

Don't make me look for it. I saw it, most likely on Nintendo's home page. Can't get why it's so hard to believe that; it's obvious that Nintendo wants some kind of standardization between Japan and the US. Even if 'Yoshi' wasn't originally the Japanese romanji form and it was invented by the usual US clueless translator, it has become official for Japan too.

So if every instance of a game's title is consistently misspelled, then that title remains?

There you have 'Gradius'.

But if the box logo title conflicts with the title screen logo, then the title screen gets precedence?

No, just the more correct one.

And even if a word in a title is retconned, you'll stick with the original?

Most likely. But for instance I used to write 'Strider Hiryuu' till Strider Hiryu 1 & 2 made appearance, which did show that romaji form in the logo for the protagonist's name, leaving no room to discussion (even if I believe that 'Hiryu' is not the best way to romanize it at all).

What about differences in titles between JP and EN, such as Super Robot Wars and Super Robot Taisen? In all JP manuals/guides, the official English name is Super Robot Wars and yet many (even Atlus, who localized the OG games) prefer keeping the original kanji "Taisen." Would either work for you in that regard?

Nope. Many Japanese-only games, as you know, have both, a Japanese form and an 'English' form in their logos (Sakura Taisen for one), but the official and actual name is the Japanese. Of course Banpresto would want you to write 'Super Robot Wars' instead of 'Super Robot Taisen' if you're using English, but the truth is that there can only be one official form at the end (that's the desirable, at least). What Atlus or any other Western company did for its own market it's totally irrelevant for the subject, but anyhow, I don't have any problem to accept 'Super Robot Wars' or 'Sakura Wars' as 'official' forms too.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:48 pm

Not bad at all. I'd say I'd agree with you on naming conventions for almost everything, except that I'd value the spine card spelling over logical sense.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:30 am

citcelaid wrote:I'll just say though, that I consider the "retard" TWE one of the most valuable contributors, not just in shmups forum, but also here at gamengai.com (where he uses a different name in the forum).

Thanks mate. :)

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:37 pm

kej wrote:
Thanks mate. :)

Glad to know you're interested EVEN in the 'shit that makes ME LOL'. And to see that you finally exposed yourself, by the way. You had me here at Gamengai all this time for the name calling and whatnot. Afraid or something?

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:19 pm

GaijinPunch is a friend of mine, and when I signed up to his forums I made it a point not to clutter up his threads with any quarrels. Since I saw you posted here, I decided to use a different screen name to post peacefully.
Last edited by EOJ on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else”