Chiptune shows in Tokyo?

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Chiptune shows in Tokyo?

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:23 am

Hey GP (or any other Tokyo-ites inhabiting this board): apparently Tokyo, being a thriving hi-tech world metropolis and all, is home to a fairly decent chiptune scene. Who knew! I'm wondering if anyone has any decent information on where to look up coming chiptune events in the greater Tokyo area?

Sparky
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Sparky » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:44 pm

I'm not too familiar with the chiptune scene in Japan but you might get some more information from zinger who has performed at such events before.

Here is a page with some information that might help.

Lo-bit playground

You might be able to find more news and information at VORC.com

Here is a performance by Zinger at Lo-bit Playground 7.0.

-Dave

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:00 am

Sparky wrote:Here is a performance by Zinger at Lo-bit Playground 7.0.
Guess who's awesome? Zinger. Part II is even better :o
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks guys! :) Here are some more pictures form the tour earlier this year: http://www.soundshock.se/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=97

Too bad, you just missed Lo Bit Playground 9, including an amazing X68000 performance by hizmi (look for it on youtube). :O Keep checking VORC for news, and the LBPG site.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:08 am

Yeah, I just learned about Lo-bit Playground a few days ago, and am firmly kicking myself for not making the, "I am living next to one of the world's largest metropolitan areas. I can find things like this if I look!" realization much sooner. Guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled from now on.

I stumbled across VORC.com when I started looking--by the other endorsements in this thread, I take it that site's pretty decent at keeping with the current news?

And slightly to the side of the topic, are there any musical solutions for the Wonderswan similar to LittleSoundDJ or NanoLoop for the Gameboy? The local Hard Off has like 6 of the thing for just a few hundred yen each, and I've a yearning to give them some sort of an interesting home.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:I stumbled across VORC.com when I started looking--by the other endorsements in this thread, I take it that site's pretty decent at keeping with the current news?
Not like it used to be. The founder of the site, Hally, is the pretty much the spider of the VGM and chiptune web in Japan. He used to write news updates several times per day, regarding both western and eastern scene. Since a while back he's extremely busy (his job, which is publishing game music online) so most news items are posted by organizers themselves or whoever finds out about it.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:And slightly to the side of the topic, are there any musical solutions for the Wonderswan similar to LittleSoundDJ or NanoLoop for the Gameboy? The local Hard Off has like 6 of the thing for just a few hundred yen each, and I've a yearning to give them some sort of an interesting home.
I've never heard of that. You should ask around if you ever go to LBPG. Hally or Blasterhead might now about that, for instance. There's probably some MML based software around. MML seems like hard work though.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:57 pm

zinger, did you check out my latest entry to the GP's Music Picks thread? I can't imagine someone into chip music not at least enjoying it in spirit.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Return to “Everything Else”