Homesick?

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Homesick?

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon May 19, 2008 12:21 am

For all of the Gaijin out there, or anyone else that lives in a country that is not their native, do you ever get homesick or miss things about home?

I've been wondering, since I've been homesick for my home state of TX for a long time. I've been living in Alabama for some time now because of school, and I miss stuff like the food, the people, ect.

I was talking to a Japanese exchange student a few weeks ago and was happy to go back to Japan for the summer, because she had not seen her parents and friends in a whole year.

So, do you guys ever get homesick? I think if I ever had to go stay a year with my family over in Japan, I might get homesick for some American food, but not the family and friends.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 19, 2008 12:35 am

I was kind of ready to leave. Back then, as long as I made it home once a year or so, I was fine. The food thing... well, if you miss Texas food being in Alabama, you will go fucking bananas here. You'll really need to calibrate your diet. Tex Mex as you know it is non-existent here. There's some half decent stuff if you look, but don't expect to go and eat a cheap, greasy meal for $8.

I'm a Nacho Cheese Doritos addict. If you live somewhat central, finding the Export version isn't too hard. They're pretty pricey though, at about 400 yen for what would be $1.85 in the states. I'm off of them now, as I'm on a diet, but when I have a hankering for them, it's nice to know they're available. My first years, living kind of far away were rough.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon May 19, 2008 12:49 am

See thats what I'm afraid of. Like I miss Jack-in-the box, and real Margaritas. I'm on a diet too, so I can get a six-pack. But man, sometimes I need a greasy burger or a Margarita so strong that I'll want to bang a fat ugly chick.

Nothing over there has the greasy goodness does it?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 19, 2008 2:08 am

Well, there's Mac, and if you look hard enough Burger King. No Jack in the Box though. If you live in Tokyo, you can find an Outback Steakhouse that has proper frozen margaritas. Other than that, they're hard to find. Hawaii's Margaritas sucked too.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:55 am

RadiantSvgun wrote: a Margarita so strong that I'll want to bang a fat ugly chick.

sounds pretty goddamn good ;)

ontopic back when i lived in the netherlands i was homesick all the time, was never fond of it to be honest, but now that im an adult i reckon i wouldnt move somewhere i didnt feel comfortable living in anyways.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon May 19, 2008 10:42 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Well, there's Mac, and if you look hard enough Burger King. No Jack in the Box though.

MacDonalds, Burger King and Jack in the Box will become utterly insignificant once he tastes the awesomeness that is Mos Burger! ;)

It is living testament to the theory that "Japanese take an American invention and figure out a way to make it ten times better."

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed May 21, 2008 3:29 pm

sven666 wrote:
RadiantSvgun wrote: a Margarita so strong that I'll want to bang a fat ugly chick.

sounds pretty goddamn good ;)

ontopic back when i lived in the netherlands i was homesick all the time, was never fond of it to be honest, but now that im an adult i reckon i wouldnt move somewhere i didnt feel comfortable living in anyways.

The netherlands? Where is home for you?

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Thu May 22, 2008 2:23 am

Been in Japan about 2 years now. I went home over Christmas, it was nice to see the family, but after a week I was ready to leave. Going back to the US it felt so weird being able to 100% understand what EVERYONE was saying. Everywhere seemed so loud. Ignorance is truly bliss sometimes. ;)
Stronger then your average deadite

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 22, 2008 6:24 am

SuperDeadite wrote:Everywhere seemed so loud. Ignorance is truly bliss sometimes. ;)

If you search some of my posts on life in Japan here and at other forums, the anonymity one gets in the city (shit, even the country) is what brought me back. As close-quarters as Japan is, America is way more "in your face" on just about every front.

The netherlands? Where is home for you?

Look at the name... somewhat obvious. ;)

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Thu May 22, 2008 10:30 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Look at the name... somewhat obvious. ;)
He's from hell :evil:

GP, in a society with so much anonymity, how do you make friends? Are there any unique rules to making friends?
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:25 pm

im from Sweden originally (and i live there now too).

GP makes friends the usual way, talks to them on the internet and then stalks them untill they ignolege him ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Haha... indeed.

I've got very few friends now compared to the old days. Then again, I have zero free time compared to the old days as well. When I get a free moment, unless I've planned ahead (which I never do) I wind up going to an arcade. I've got basically one friend that lives (no shit) across the street from me (so unheard of in Tokyo it's crazy). I can buzz him for an emergency beer any time. Other than that, if I don't make plans, I'll see nobdy.

Yeah, my life is boring. I had way more fun 10 years ago. Living check to check and smoking a pack and a half a day is no way to go through your 30's though.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Fri May 23, 2008 9:01 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:If you live in Tokyo, you can find an Outback Steakhouse that has proper frozen margaritas. Other than that, they're hard to find. Hawaii's Margaritas sucked too.

Frozen margaritas suck ass. You have to have it on the rocks. And as for Hawaii, there are really good Margaritas at Cholos, but that's on the North Shore, so it's a bit of a trek. I always stop by there to have one when I visit the North Shore - they're too good to pass up. :)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 23, 2008 9:23 am

Go spend about 2 hours in Austin... you will laugh at any Margarita Hawaii has to offer! Oh, man. I lived on happy hour margaritas plus free bar food in College. $15 was lunch, dinner, and booze for the day.

The Margarita simply has a hard time in Hawaii as it lives in the shadow of the Mai Tai (a lame drink, I must say -- never got into it).
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon May 26, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon May 26, 2008 2:43 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Go spend about 2 hours in Austin... you will laugh at any Margarita Hawaii has to offer! Oh, man. I lived on happy hour margaritas plus free bar food in College. $15 was lunch, dinner, and booze for the day.

Heh, yup. Easy way to work a date too. They don't have that in AL, and its cut down on my flow.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Wed May 28, 2008 10:43 am

citcelaid wrote:MacDonalds, Burger King and Jack in the Box will become utterly insignificant once he tastes the awesomeness that is Mos Burger! ;)

It is living testament to the theory that "Japanese take an American invention and figure out a way to make it ten times better."

No, Mosburger isn't that good especially since they changed their recipe for the patties. :x Let's not talk about Lotteria (Zeppin is edible but very strange) or Freshness.....

I've been here for over 3 years, travel abroad fairly frequently across Asia and usually twice a year back to the States but there are just certain things that I really miss; quality dry cleaning (htf do they keep breaking my shirt buttons if they are supposedly hand done???), pulpy OJ (I used to get Tropicana straight from the navy base, I've actually checked in a case of OJ at the airport before), real Mexican food, proper steaks...whoever thinks that Japan is a great international city to eat in needs to get their head checked (the Michelin guide is ridiculously wrong). Plenty of fake French, Italian, Chinese that cost a week's wages but only a few which are really good.
become history

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed May 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Shou wrote:I've been here for over 3 years, travel abroad fairly frequently across Asia and usually twice a year back to the States but there are just certain things that I really miss; quality dry cleaning (htf do they keep breaking my shirt buttons if they are supposedly hand done???), pulpy OJ (I used to get Tropicana straight from the navy base, I've actually checked in a case of OJ at the airport before), real Mexican food, proper steaks...whoever thinks that Japan is a great international city to eat in needs to get their head checked (the Michelin guide is ridiculously wrong). Plenty of fake French, Italian, Chinese that cost a week's wages but only a few which are really good.

Just face it, you shouldn't be living outside of the US...

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed May 28, 2008 11:56 pm

citcelaid wrote:Just face it, you shouldn't be living outside of the US...

Or maybe you just don't understand the differences? Perhaps, you're one of the brainwashed otaku? Have you ever lived in other big international cities (HK, London, NY, etc)? Try some constructive criticism next time.

I've lived abroad in multiple places throughout my life. Every place has its advantages and disadvantages but Japan in particular, has too many Japanophiles thinking it's the greatest place on Earth.
become history

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu May 29, 2008 5:54 pm

Shou wrote:

Or maybe you just don't understand the differences? Perhaps, you're one of the brainwashed otaku? Have you ever lived in other big international cities (HK, London, NY, etc)? Try some constructive criticism next time.

I've lived in London, Chicago, Kyoto for several years each, and am currently based in Berlin, so according to your own terms that does make me qualified to state my above opinion. Cheers!

I've lived abroad in multiple places throughout my life. Every place has its advantages and disadvantages but Japan in particular, has too many Japanophiles thinking it's the greatest place on Earth.

I don't think Japan is the coolest place on earth, although I do like it.

But there are few things more obnoxious than Americans living abroad, whining about little things like orange juice, steaks and Mexican food, and how they absolutely can't live without it. If you consider yourself so international, you shouldn't be phased by such minute differences in product lineup. Besides, every Lawson carried pulpy orange juice when I was in Japan, so I really don't see what your problem is. I'm sorry, but importing a whole case of Tropicana is simply retarded.

The only thing more annoying than those Americans are the Japanese who go on holiday to Europe to see 10 countries in 7 days and have Sushi for every meal.

[/rant]

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 29, 2008 11:14 pm

whoever thinks that Japan is a great international city to eat in needs to get their head checked

You realize Tokyo is one of the best cities on the planet for food, right? You've clearly not found the good places though. I don't like French or Chinese, and don't eat meat, so couldn't comment on the burger joints (although there are way more Kua Aina joints in town than in Hawaii if you can believe that).

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu May 29, 2008 11:59 pm

citcelaid wrote:
Shou wrote:

I've lived in London, Chicago, Kyoto for several years each, and am currently based in Berlin, so according to your own terms that does make me qualified to state my above opinion. Cheers!

I don't think Japan is the coolest place on earth, although I do like it.

But there are few things more obnoxious than Americans living abroad, whining about little things like orange juice, steaks and Mexican food, and how they absolutely can't live without it. If you consider yourself so international, you shouldn't be phased by such minute differences in product lineup. Besides, every Lawson carried pulpy orange juice when I was in Japan, so I really don't see what your problem is. I'm sorry, but importing a whole case of Tropicana is simply retarded.

The only thing more annoying than those Americans are the Japanese who go on holiday to Europe to see 10 countries in 7 days and have Sushi for every meal.

[/rant]

Chicago and Kyoto as great international cities has me laughing.

You can stop with putting words in my mouth and the I am so great act. Never said I could not live without them, rather these are the things I miss.

Regarding OJ, anything you can buy in any domestic store here is from concentrate and not pulpy at all. The best you can get is freshly squeezed at the Ebisu Westin, Roppongi Hills Hyatt, etc.

You could argue buying games instead of just playing emus is retarded too. It's roughly the same thing! :whack:
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 30, 2008 12:12 am

There's a brand (forgot the name) that apparently only makes grape & mango juice. Both fantastic, both better than anything in the states. Pricey, but worth it. My suggestion is to switch to those and ditch the OJ.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri May 30, 2008 12:27 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:You realize Tokyo is one of the best cities on the planet for food, right? You've clearly not found the good places though. I don't like French or Chinese, and don't eat meat, so couldn't comment on the burger joints (although there are way more Kua Aina joints in town than in Hawaii if you can believe that).

GP, that's what many people say but it definitely is not. If you're looking for ethnic variety + quality, there are just too many holes over here. Over the last few years, Indian has definitely become much better but nothing
else has improved that I've seen. Willing to hear suggestions as I enjoy fine dining (read that as good eats not necessarily expensive). Any decent Cuban, any SE Asian (insert country name here), Mexican, deli, pizza (please don't mention Pizzakaya)?

Kua Aina doesn't have much competition though and with their American sizes very hard to beat for the buck.

Assuming you're a vegetarian, how do you get by over here? It's not a very friendly veggie country when dining out.

Some of my choice dining places off the top of my head
American Breakfast: French Kitchen (Roppongi, not many choices here either, GHG was OK 3-4 yrs ago, Fujimamas=Dennys)
Chinese: Tokyo Daihanten (Shinjuku, unfortunately closed down last August, very few authentic places around)
Fusion: waza (Shinjuku)
Indian: Priya (Hiroo)
Italian: Sabatini de Firenze (Ginza)
"Jamaican" - Aalawi (Ebisu)

Also, if anyone is up for good restaurant hunting, I'm game.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri May 30, 2008 12:36 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:There's a brand (forgot the name) that apparently only makes grape & mango juice. Both fantastic, both better than anything in the states. Pricey, but worth it. My suggestion is to switch to those and ditch the OJ.

I think I know the mango juice. Is it a bit rich and comes in brown-ish colored container? I remember picking some up at Seijo Ishi before.

OJ is like my blood. I currently buy the Kirin made Tropicana Pure Premium. At 400 yen/container, it's relatively expensive.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 30, 2008 12:55 am

Some of my choice dining places off the top of my head
American Breakfast: French Kitchen (Roppongi, not many choices here either, GHG was OK 3-4 yrs ago, Fujimamas=Dennys)
Chinese: Tokyo Daihanten (Shinjuku, unfortunately closed down last August, very few authentic places around)
Fusion: waza (Shinjuku)
Indian: Priya (Hiroo)
Italian: Sabatini de Firenze (Ginza)
"Jamaican" - Aalawi (Ebisu)

Also, if anyone is up for good restaurant hunting, I'm game.

If you think Fujimamas is Dennys I can't really help you. Some of the dishes are hit and miss, but the ones I get (Black Bean Chili) are great. I've gotten some bad ones before though, that's for sure. Mark, the Chef, helped a friend of mine out with their menu (Sonoma, in Shibuya). If you go, get the fish tacos.

American Breakfast: I think you'll have to make this. I'm not into American Breakfasts though (other than cereal) so I can't help you much.

Chinese: I don't like Chinese, but some of the higher end places I've been to aren't bad. Sorry, no names. Surely there are enough Chinese people here that there's a whole underground world of good (cheap) authentic Chinese food. Then again, it's not American Chinese food. If that's what you're looking for, you're likely fucked. I would assume the same about Korean, but as a fake vegetarian, it's a region (foodwise) I dodge like a bullet.

French: In terms of bakery, Japanese are consistently better than even the French (this is what I've heard from a Frenchie... a well to do one as it were). Aux Bacchanalles (Unfortunately, Harajuku's has been gone for ages, so you're stuck with Ark Hills), or Viron in Shibuya are both off the charts. As for cuisine, the former of the aforementioned is pretty popular, and again, with quite a few French people from Societe General 15 floors up. I'm no authority on French food so I can't tell whether it tastes like real French food. The quality is good though.... at least of the Fish the few times I ate there.

Indian: Kembokke (Nishi Azabu). Make sure you get the shrimp appetizer. That alone is worth the price of admission. It's a proper dining place, so no 1000 yen buffet. There's two lunch Curry places I can make it to in my hood. Darjeeling in Yoyogi Hachiman, and Himalaya Curry in Sanguubashi. Neither as good as the former, but lunch can be had for 800 yen. If your eating Curry that doesn't have 80% Indian staff, don't bother. You probably know that.

Italian: There's a million cheap Italian places around town. Some not bad, but how hard is it to fuck up pasta? Blue Point is an affordable, small chain with one in my neighborhood. I've only eaten their pizza, but it's good (Italian style). Thin, light, minimal. I have it on Fridays, so will go there later.

Deli: Park Hyatt Deli. Some of the best food in town

Sandwhiches: Pita the Great in Akasaka. I ride my bike there (7k) on my lunch break when the weather is nice. So good.

There's a juice imported from South Africa (forgot the name) that comes in four flavors. I'm hooked on Passion Fruit. It's 400 yen per container. Give it another year and you'll learn to ignore the prices. Makes shopping for food easier. I spent about 3000 yen on fruit yesterday, and only got 3 things.

:/

Return to “Everything Else”