Fruit

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Fruit

Postby Macaw » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:37 am

Recently I've been eating heaps of fruit. Not for any kind of health reasons, but rather I've just realised how good it is to eat. For something sweet, I would much rather just having watermelon or something now instead of savory sweets, for example.

The only problem is that it doesn't provide much nutrition. Some days I would try to just eat nothing but fruit, but the quantity required to fulfill hunger is pretty insane if you start depriving your body of meat and bread and stuff. Eating vegetables of course would help but they suck ass compared to the awesomeness of fruit.

I'm definitely no vegetarian though.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 am

I've been eating a ton of fruit, as I've been yapping about over at Assembler. The problem is, I've developed a taste for the pricey shit you buy at Kinokuniya.

Here was my last grocery tab:

half melon: 600 yen
full mellon: 1280 yen (different type)
6 kiwi (550 yen -- cheapest in the store)
Container of blueberries (pretty big, actually) on sale for 1200 yen
container of raspberries (pretty small) 900 yen
bananas (from the convnenient store, actually) 315 yen (for 3)

I think I got an Avocado for 400 yen.

I go nuts over the melon. They're so fucking good. I'm not too hot on Watermellon. You should concentrate on oranges, mangos, bananas, berries, and basically anything other than watermelon. Pretty sure it has the least nutritional value due to it's density.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:30 am

But they're so damn good!

But yeah, All other kinds of melons I love too. Melons, grapes, oranges, berries, etc etc is all just too good shit. The only real thing I don't like is bannanas.

Avocado's are sensational, and while I do enjoy eating them plain, I usually use them in other shit like chicken dishes and nachos.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:44 pm

Hah, I hate bananas, too! I've also been getting more into fruit and fruit juice lately. It's so delicious! Canteloupe <3 I wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass to prepare some fruits. Kiwis and mangos seem to be the most time consuming.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:31 pm

Nectarines = gift from the gods

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:52 pm

I prefer peaches and cherries. Picking them from an orchard when they get slightly over-ripe is amazingly better than the ones you get in groceries. I get plenty of all types of fruits year-round but yeah, you can eat way too many fruits and the only thing you dent is your pocketbook. Anybody else can't get into tropical fruits?

One question I've always had is that certain types of some fruit with exposed peels (apples and pears, maybe others) have this super-sweet taste without any sense of tanginess that a normal variety of that fruit would supply. These fruits make my throat feel uncomfortable. Anybody else heard of such a thing and know what may be behind it? I've always thought it had to do with some artificial species engineering.

Anyway, what other sweets would you have anyway? I'd say chocolate and almonds are certainly comparable to fruits but got sick of candy when I was like 10.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Ganelon wrote:Anyway, what other sweets would you have anyway? I'd say chocolate and almonds are certainly comparable to fruits but got sick of candy when I was like 10.

Dude really? :o

I never tire of sweets.....

Ive been eating Bananas and soy products lately. That combined with my workouts have helped me lose 20 lbs, but I need to lose some more to reach my job's height/weight standards.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:30 pm

I'm allergic to avocadoes, watermelons, and some varieties of apples, so I'm not sharin' y'all's love for these.

The best fruit imo is a European pear! I hate the Japanese Nashi ones. It's such bullshit how the Japanese go on and on about how special it supposedly is, when it's really just a big apple. O_o

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 pm

citcelaid wrote:I'm allergic to avocadoes,

Sucks to be you!

I hate the Japanese Nashi ones.

I don't like it much either, but don't like any pears to be honest. The texture feels to funky to me.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:52 am

They are a little ... stringy? I still enjoy the flavor. I have a distinct memory of eating a pear in the shower for some strange reason.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

Return to “Everything Else”