It's nice to see 90's anime LDs retain their value...

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

It's nice to see 90's anime LDs retain their value...

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:30 am

Not
LOL. I knew someone w/ this thing. Cost him like $800 back then.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:30 am

DVD? Those are LD's dude. ;) I've started buying LD's myself just because they are so cheap. The high-end LD players still cost a fortune though. :(
Stronger then your average deadite

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:58 pm

The Hard Off in Kawagoe had what looked to be a full Ranma 1/2 LD box set for something like 8000 yen, and I couldn't help but have a look at it each time I went in. Mostly because the set consisted of two boxes about 2" thick and which seemed to weigh about 10 pounds each.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Yeah, LD's. Sorry. Got ahead of myself. That's crazy. These things were SOOO fucking expensive. I wonder if any of the hardcore anime guys from back then still have a wall full of them.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:45 am

Outside of LaserActive games, left most of mine at my parent's house....some good stuff that I would buy back on Blu-ray.
become history

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:55 am

i dumped my LD collection at Liberty last year.
They told me to pop back an hour or two later, so my mate and I went for steak after we parked up the car.

I thought the Evangelion and other anime disks would at least bring some cash, and they did!

10 yen for one disk that's apparently "rare" and 1 yen for 44 other disks. 0 yen for the others.

54 yen , but i simply couldn't take the disks back to the house or the missus would have cut my nuts off, so we just cut our losses and dumped all 180 or so disks on them. We were in bits when he asked for ID and passed over the 54 yen. Didn't even cover the parking lol.

Glad to get rid of them in the end, seemed such a great idea at the time!
Beautiful Burnout

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:59 am

A used media shop near the station where I'd switch trains had what looked to be all of the Evangelion laserdiscs. I had considered picking them up for an awesome collector's item, but the realities of A) no Laserdisc player and B) no easy way of shipping home kept me to a much more reasonable path. Plus, I was always holding out for some manner of nifty box set, if there exists such a thing for the LD releases. I always thought I'd spy one in one of the Liberties in Akiba, but the only thing they seemed to have in (expensive) box sets there were some awful variety of Gundam or Macross or whatever.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:51 am

the other pain of course is that you are limited by output technology.

I had one of the last pioneer LD players and it was Svideo output at best. Given BR is now here, i want the collections/anime on that (especially if they get the Akira treatment).

The amount of space LD disks themselves take up is huge too.
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Akira just arrived. Going to watch it at a mates some time next month. Better TV, better sound... and he can actually turn his up (no youngster).

There were a few really hard to get anime LD's back in the day. Of course, Project Daicon is still pricey. What about Angel's Egg & Robot Carnival? Both were really hard to get AFAIK. 6000 yen for the entire run of Maison Ikkoku is just hilarity at it's finest.

<memory lane>
My first trip to Japan after my study abroad was semi-paid for by lugging back some heavy ass mofo LDs. A few grand worth. Got the Ghibli box set for one guy, and god knows what else for everyone else.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Akira just arrived. Going to watch it at a mates some time next month. Better TV, better sound... and he can actually turn his up (no youngster).

There were a few really hard to get anime LD's back in the day. Of course, Project Daicon is still pricey. What about Angel's Egg & Robot Carnival? Both were really hard to get AFAIK. 6000 yen for the entire run of Maison Ikkoku is just hilarity at it's finest.

Robot Carnival is fairly easy to obtain on DVD, I've seen Angel's Egg around as well. Daicon I haven't seen in forever but the fansub on SVHS lives on in my parent's basement lol

Pretty much stopped buying DVDs because you know that even with the DVD HD remaster (ie Macross, Macross Plus, and a whole slew of others) that the Blu-ray is just around the corner. Conversely, stuff that's out now will probably become premium items in 5 years.
become history

Return to “Everything Else”